Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:53 PM

Default You know how some FFL's wont accept shipped guns unless...

You know how some FFL's wont accept shipped guns unless it's coming from another FFL?

I was just curios why this is? I figured it was just playing it safe. Are there any other hoops an FFL must go through when receiving a shipped pistol in the mail from a non-FFL?

Thanks guys.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:20 AM
CGN Contributor

Some dealers feel that it protects them somehow, that they are receiving a shipment from someone who was vet'ed by the gov, versus being shipped something from who knows whom, all you have is maybe a copy of a DL in the shipment.

Others may do it in an means to "protect" the sanctity of the FFL system. If all the FFLs required you to ship from an FFL to an FFL, it would generate FFL-only business on both sides of the shipment.

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-18-2009, 4:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
Some dealers feel that it protects them somehow, that they are receiving a shipment from someone who was vet'ed by the gov, versus being shipped something from who knows whom, all you have is maybe a copy of a DL in the shipment.

Others may do it in an means to "protect" the sanctity of the FFL system. If all the FFLs required you to ship from an FFL to an FFL, it would generate FFL-only business on both sides of the shipment.
I still accept from non-licensed individuals but I did have one jerk who promised to send a copy of his DL but didn't because he heard that "he didn't have to". So, I'm stuck with piecing together his identification from emails and shipping labels. I'm still not sure I got his information correct to be reasonably sure enough for my A/D book.

When the shipment comes from another FFL the sender must present his ID to a sending FFL to be recorded in the FFL's A/D book and I don't have to worry about it. Unlike non-licensed individuals, the sending FFL must follow the law as applied to them.

All it will take for me to stop my current practice of accepting shipments from the public will be a few more jerks like this one.

BTW: Faxed copies of DLs are nearly worthless because most states make them "too busy" to produce anything legible after going through a fax machine.

Last edited by halifax; 11-18-2009 at 4:19 AM.. Reason: added content
Old 11-18-2009, 6:18 AM
Veteran Member

And a lot of them are set way too dark.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Calguns Addict

It is best to get a copy of the DL (as a scanned color image) before giving your information. Also, it is suggested to not give a copy of your FFL to a non-FFL, the ezcheck web page info is enough for a private party to send the firearm.

One question with respect to this is what do you do if someone ships you a firearm and you don't know who it is from. How do you log it and what do you do with it? It is best to avoid this by not giving out information before getting what you need. I personally check the FFL database before I sent my FFL. With limited information, I can typically find the FFL and ensure that I am dealing with who I think I am. The funny thing is that I have been told by a FFL that I can not do what I did as they were not aware that the information was available and even when I told her how to access it, she still insisted that I was lying. Needless to say, I did not do business with those clowns.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein