Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Hey man, I encourage the good guys to pack But from what I've read so far, it isn't very practical for a firefighter to carry an item with him or her - imagine all of the gear layers, plus accessibility would be an issue. Not just that, but if you were a paramedic and were carrying, you'd be in close proximity to various victims throughout your day - some of which may be suspects in a crime, and they may try to wrestle your item away from you if you had it in a belt holster, etc.

Apparently, most EMT and firefighters will tell you that they actually earn respect and good karma from the bad guys by simply being unarmed at a given situation.

Turby
Old 05-26-2005, 7:16 PM
Calguns Addict

A friend of the family was a fireman during the Watts riots. They shot at them as they tried to save their neighborhoods. He said you develope very little pity for people in the 'hood that try and kill the people that are there to help. It is a lesson to be learned and remembered.
If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government --and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws
Edward Abbey
Old 05-26-2005, 5:40 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Arson investigaters are allowed to carry.

More than that, in many areas Fire Marshalls are LEO's. When I was a kid growing up in Wyoming my dad was an FM for both the city and the county where we lived. He made several high profile Arson arrests and frequently assisted the local PD and SO when they needed assistance.

John
Old 05-26-2005, 3:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

I remember the name Reginal Denning from the Rodney King riot.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:00 PM

Some thugs/theives/*******s etc... see a man in a uniform and a badge automaticly think cops. I would pack a side arm if i could, and was a firefighter.
Old 06-13-2005, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MAVERICK:
yes he must attend CDF's post. I know what I'm talking about. I'm a Engineer with cdf
I wasn't doubting you, just thinking out loud.

Where do you work out of (which part of the state)?
Old 05-26-2005, 8:38 PM

I think you were thinking of Dennis Rodman... Ha.
Old 05-26-2005, 5:21 AM

Yep, you do not want an arsonist to come back to the scene while you are there investigating unless you are packing heat!
Old 06-12-2005, 6:53 PM

Riverside county contracts it firefighting force with the state of Kal {CDF}. The captain you saw was a prevention officer with full LEO autorities. They do not pack open carry why on a fire engine.. Only while in there pick-ups. Also most of the battlion chiefs are also peace officers. No firfighters or medics carry while on an engine only, cpatains and above can be peace officers.
Old 06-13-2005, 2:25 PM

yes he must attend CDF's post. I know what I'm talking about. I'm a Engineer with cdf
Old 06-13-2005, 2:27 PM

And I did say most battalion chiefs
Old 06-13-2005, 5:34 PM

riverside
Old 06-13-2005, 7:34 PM

Quote:
riverside
Check your PMs.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:08 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't know how they're structured nowadays, but at one time Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety rotated their Public Safety officers between the fire and police divisions.
I've heard they do the same thing at LAX with the airport police; they get rotated into fire duty so many days a week or some such thing.
Old 06-13-2005, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stator:

I also like to see the "good guys" pack. The problem is that I'm one of them and so is most everyone here (hopefully all of Calguns members).
True on that point for sure. You are preaching to the choir here, but your sermon is well-received.
Old 05-26-2005, 2:43 PM
Veteran Member

I know during the LA riots, people thought it was fun to shoot at the firemen. My buddy who was one said he was in fear of his life many times as they had found bullet holes in their fire trucks after they came back from a various jobs.

He did say a couple of guys carried firearms in the truck in case they got cornered. They didn't want to be a Dennis Rodney (the white trucker that got his A kicked by a mob).
Old 06-13-2005, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Riverside county contracts it firefighting force with the state of Kal {CDF}. The captain you saw was a prevention officer with full LEO autorities. They do not pack open carry why on a fire engine.. Only while in there pick-ups. Also most of the battlion chiefs are also peace officers. No firfighters or medics carry while on an engine only, cpatains and above can be peace officers.
Interesting.
One of my brother-in-laws is a battalion chief for CDF. I'll have to ask him if he can "pack" on duty. I'm sure that's there's more to it than meets the eye.
Old 05-26-2005, 8:43 PM

Back in the late sixty's or early 70's the penal code was changed to allow fire fighters to carry. Later it was removed as not being needed anymore.
Old 05-26-2005, 1:20 AM

Quote:
e can dislike cops. but firemen, they rescue people and put fires out! what can anyone possibly have against that?

Arson investigaters are allowed to carry.
Old 06-13-2005, 2:34 PM

Arson investigators are typically LEO-empowered in order to make arrests. So, there are qualified personnel in the fire deparments that can pack.

I would be interested in know the percentage of LEO's versus non-LEO's in CA fire departments state-wide contrasted between now and pre-SB-23 which gave special rights by taking them away from most everyone.

I also like to see the "good guys" pack. The problem is that I'm one of them and so is most everyone here (hopefully all of Calguns members).
Friends don't let friends vote demorat
Utah CCW permit holder
Old 05-26-2005, 7:41 PM
Veteran Member

Oppps, I meant Reginald Denning. Don't know where I got Dennis Rodney....

Getting Senile
Old 05-25-2005, 9:55 PM

so i was out in the city of hemet for my job earlier, consulting with the fire department in regards to their fire access for a neighborhood we're constructing. to my surprise, the captain came in, packin what appeared to be a 92fs and a couple loaded mags in his belt. of course it didn't bother me at all, but it was certainly a surprise. has it really gotten bad enough in some places that firemen need to protect themselves? for whatever reason it didn't occur to me to ask him about it. i can understand why people can dislike cops. but firemen, they rescue people and put fires out! what can anyone possibly have against that?

anyone else notice this phenomenon in their neck of the woods?