Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:54 AM

Default Mag Extensions On Preban Mags

I think I know the answer to this question already but is it legal to purchase the factory glock +2 mag extensions and use them on a high capacity preban mag?

I dont see why not but I also don't see how alot of these laws make sense.

Last edited by glockfu; 11-17-2009 at 11:03 AM..
Old 11-17-2009, 10:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

There are no degrees, tiers or levels of "high-capacity-ness".

If it's already a legal hicap, adding +2 or +4 or whatever doesn't change its status.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm sure others will chime in. But once a 10+ preban mag, always a preban mag. AFAIK, you can add to your heart's content [to the original mag] as long as you're not manufacturing a new magazine.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the quick replies... your answers actually sparked another question. If this is the case, could one then modify a 17 round preban glock mag and turn it into a 32 rounder or 100 rounder or whatever?

If the body on the 17 round mag broke, could you repair your mag by using a 32 round mag body and spring?

Last edited by glockfu; 11-17-2009 at 11:22 AM..
Old 11-17-2009, 1:04 PM

like niteqwill said,once a preban always a preban no matter how many rounds it holds as long as when u repair the mag you only have the same number of mags that you started with.
"Liberals hate America, they hate "flag-wavers," they hate abortion opponents, they hate all religions except Islam (post 9/11). Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do. They don't have the energy. If they had that much energy, they'd have indoor plumbing by now."

"If gays can't change, why do liberals think child molesters can?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX22 View Post
Its the liberal fallacy.... "All men are equal, except for me, cause I know what is good for you better than you do."
Old 11-17-2009, 8:44 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Ahem.

Except 'preban' has nothing to do with anything in California.

If you don't care to use 'large-capacity magazines legally possessed in California before Jan 1, 2000', I understand, but those are not pre-ban.

Large-capacity magazines etc are not banned. It's legal to own, possess and use them. There is no 'ban' to be 'pre' of.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-17-2009, 8:59 PM
Calguns Addict

I have 10 round Glock 26 magazines that I legally owned before Jan 1, 2000.

I wonder what their legal status is? I installed a +1 on them before Jan 1, 2000 but have since removed them.

Are they high caps?
Old 11-17-2009, 9:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wash View Post
I have 10 round Glock 26 magazines that I legally owned before Jan 1, 2000.

I wonder what their legal status is? I installed a +1 on them before Jan 1, 2000 but have since removed them.

Are they high caps?
If all is as you say, then yes, they're large-capacity mags and could have their +1 extensions re-added. Or +whatever.

Though I've heard many of those things are not all that stable - seems like they're known to fall off at inopportune moments. Probably brand-dependent or something; I don't have any, primarily because such tales have scared me away.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Ahem.

Except 'preban' has nothing to do with anything in California.

If you don't care to use 'large-capacity magazines legally possessed in California before Jan 1, 2000', I understand, but those are not pre-ban.

Large-capacity magazines etc are not banned. It's legal to own, possess and use them. There is no 'ban' to be 'pre' of.
Please educate me a little more on how this works? If I'm not mistaken the 94 Clinton ban restricted high capacity magazines and then there was another ban that was basically laid over it on Jan 1, 2000 which would mean that since the 94 ban was still in effect, you have to have had mags that were pre 1994. So although Californias ban went into effect Jan 1, 2000 there was already a pre existing Fed ban that would have made it illegal to purchase high capacity mags at the time. What am I missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Though I've heard many of those things are not all that stable - seems like they're known to fall off at inopportune moments. Probably brand-dependent or something; I don't have any, primarily because such tales have scared me away.

I have heard this too but I see that there is now a factory +2 extension made by Glock themselves. Do these have the same problems?

Last edited by glockfu; 11-18-2009 at 11:33 PM..
Old 11-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Calguns Addict

So my old 20's could be turned into rebuit 40's? Yes please.
Old 11-19-2009, 7:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockfu View Post
Please educate me a little more on how this works? If I'm not mistaken the 94 Clinton ban restricted high capacity magazines and then there was another ban that was basically laid over it on Jan 1, 2000 which would mean that since the 94 ban was still in effect, you have to have had mags that were pre 1994. So although Californias ban went into effect Jan 1, 2000 there was already a pre existing Fed ban that would have made it illegal to purchase high capacity mags at the time. What am I missing?
The definition of "ban".

Heroin is "banned". Murder is "banned".

Something that is legal to own, possess and use is not "banned". Even 'assault weapons', Federally and in California, were/are not "banned".

For California, in-state transfer of large-capacity magazines is "banned" except for some special cases. (Similarly for 'assault weapons'). Functionally, that means no one who does not have them already can get them any more, so if laws don't change, probably sometime around 2050 all the current owners of such things will have passed on. That works as a ban, finally, because at that time it will be presumptively true that possession came from an illegal transfer.
Quote:
I have heard this too but I see that there is now a factory +2 extension made by Glock themselves. Do these have the same problems?
Don't have any idea.
- Thomas Sowell

Old 11-19-2009, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Back in 94 the federal ban was on manufacturing new high caps only. You could still sell and buy, pre-ban mags at the time. Then the 2000 California ban was put in place. So thatís why everyone always states pre-ban up to 2000.

When the 94 fed ban was put in place there was still tons of high cap mags for sale. I know because I got a bunch for my now RAW in 98. There were still thousands if not millions of pre-ban mags around after the federal 94 ban that could be legally transferred.

BTW this is my first post after over 10 years of lurking.
Old 11-19-2009, 9:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seesm View Post
Basically, YES.

You can rebuild your 20 rounds with the body, spring, and follower of a 40 rounder if you want. I didn't know there were 40 rounders available. 30 rounders work perfectly fine for me and I think 40 rounders would be much to long for anything but offhand shooting.

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74HgbjSCLM
Old 11-19-2009, 12:03 PM

So my initial assumptions about modifying pre ban mags is correct then right? Any high capacity mag that was legally aquired before 2000 would have had to been a pre ban mag even though it was not aquired before 94. You could not have aquired a postban (1994) high capacity mag in 1999 before the Caifornia restrictions of selling, lending, importing or manufacturing high caps was put in place.

So although you had up until 2000 to aquire high capacity mags, those mags would have had to been pre ban mags. Am I missing someting?

Last edited by glockfu; 11-19-2009 at 12:06 PM..
Old 11-19-2009, 5:11 PM

Federal made some pre ban 40 rounders, for AR and Mini 14, steel bodies, before PMI mags bought out Federal.
Old 11-19-2009, 5:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxpire View Post
Back in 94 the federal ban was on manufacturing new high caps only. You could still sell and buy, pre-ban mags at the time. Then the 2000 California ban was put in place. So thatís why everyone always states pre-ban up to 2000.

When the 94 fed ban was put in place there was still tons of high cap mags for sale. I know because I got a bunch for my now RAW in 98. There were still thousands if not millions of pre-ban mags around after the federal 94 ban that could be legally transferred.

BTW this is my first post after over 10 years of lurking.
Jaxpire: great post, you are correct.
Welcome to Cal Guns!
You should post again sometime, don't wait another ten years.

"10 years of lurking."
Old 11-19-2009, 5:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seesm View Post

your 11 rounders can be turned into 99999 rounders if you so desire

Or do you just hate her so much you can't let go?
Old 11-19-2009, 5:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
your 11 rounders can be turned into 99999 rounders if you so desire
Yup, after some careful reading and looking around I found out that I could turn a few of my 17 round G17 mags into 33 round mags. Trick is doing it the "Legal" way and not manufacturing while you are at it.

-Gio