Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-13-2009, 4:56 PM

Default Here's a peek into our possible future....Ex-soldier faces jail for handing in gun

Here's a view into our future....if firearm ownership is banned in the US, as it has been in the UK, Australia, and many other countries.

This story is just unbelievable.... from http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/n...l/article.html

Quote:
Ex-soldier faces jail for handing in gun
Friday, November 13, 2009, 13:45

A former soldier who handed a discarded shotgun in to police faces at least five years imprisonment for "doing his duty".

Paul Clarke, 27, was found guilty of possessing a firearm at Guildford Crown Court on Tuesday – after finding the gun and handing it personally to police officers on March 20 this year.

The jury took 20 minutes to make its conviction, and Mr Clarke now faces a minimum of five year's imprisonment for handing in the weapon.

In a statement read out in court, Mr Clarke said: "I didn't think for one moment I would be arrested.

"I thought it was my duty to hand it in and get it off the streets."

The court heard how Mr Clarke was on the balcony of his home in Nailsworth Crescent, Merstham, when he spotted a black bin liner at the bottom of his garden.

In his statement, he said: "I took it indoors and inside found a shorn-off shotgun and two cartridges.

"I didn't know what to do, so the next morning I rang the Chief Superintendent, Adrian Harper, and asked if I could pop in and see him.

"At the police station, I took the gun out of the bag and placed it on the table so it was pointing towards the wall."

Mr Clarke was then arrested immediately for possession of a firearm at Reigate police station, and taken to the cells.

Defending, Lionel Blackman told the jury Mr Clarke's garden backs onto a public green field, and his garden wall is significantly lower than his neighbours.

He also showed jurors a leaflet printed by Surrey Police explaining to citizens what they can do at a police station, which included "reporting found firearms".

Quizzing officer Garnett, who arrested Mr Clarke, he asked: "Are you aware of any notice issued by Surrey Police, or any publicity given to, telling citizens that if they find a firearm the only thing they should do is not touch it, report it by telephone, and not take it into a police station?"

To which, Mr Garnett replied: "No, I don't believe so."

Prosecuting, Brian Stalk, explained to the jury that possession of a firearm was a "strict liability" charge – therefore Mr Clarke's allegedly honest intent was irrelevant.

Just by having the gun in his possession he was guilty of the charge, and has no defence in law against it, he added.

But despite this, Mr Blackman urged members of the jury to consider how they would respond if they found a gun.

He said: "This is a very small case with a very big principle.

"You could be walking to a railway station on the way to work and find a firearm in a bin in the park.

"Is it unreasonable to take it to the police station?"

Paul Clarke will be sentenced on December 11.

Judge Christopher Critchlow said: "This is an unusual case, but in law there is no dispute that Mr Clarke has no defence to this charge.

"The intention of anybody possessing a firearm is irrelevant."

"Environmentalists look at the gun, the car and the jet engine as instruments of Satan, but the mosquito has killed more than all three put together." Jeremy Clarkson, on the green movement

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-13-2009, 4:57 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Wait for it... Wait for it...
Old 11-13-2009, 4:58 PM
Calguns Addict

this has been posted many times, and like in the others.....this is the UK, not the US. they didn't have laws to protect their gun rights, we do. maybe our gun rights are a little out of whack, but anyone who thinks we are going to lose our guns is crazy and needs to go back to their Y2K bunker.

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-13-2009, 5:02 PM
Veteran Member

The obvious lesson for any UK'ers who find a gun is this: Keep it. Don't report it. Don't turn it in.
Old 11-13-2009, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
this has been posted many times, and like in the others.....this is the UK, not the US. they didn't have laws to protect their gun rights, we do. maybe our gun rights are a little out of whack, but anyone who thinks we are going to lose our guns is crazy and needs to go back to their Y2K bunker.
How could this particular story be posted before - it was in a paper with today's date?

I'm not stupid and I get your point, and I agree that the US is very different from the UK (I lived there for several years). However I'm sure that many people in the UK shared your "it'll never happen here" attitude...until it was too late to stop the anti-gun sentiment from becoming socially acceptable.

I think this story is a great example of how quickly common sense gets lost and strict "no tolerance" attitudes can become acceptable, particularly when guns are involved.

"Environmentalists look at the gun, the car and the jet engine as instruments of Satan, but the mosquito has killed more than all three put together." Jeremy Clarkson, on the green movement

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-13-2009, 5:19 PM
Veteran Member

The UK seems determined to turn as many ordinary civilians into felons as possible. I'll leave it up to your imagination as to why they might want to do that.

Proud to belong to the NRA Members' Council of Santa Clara County

Disclaimer: All opinions are entirely my own.
Old 11-13-2009, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrym66 View Post
How could this particular story be posted before - it was in a paper with today's date?

I'm not stupid and I get your point, and I agree that the US is very different from the UK (I lived there for several years). However I'm sure that many people in the UK shared your "it'll never happen here" attitude...until it was too late to stop the anti-gun sentiment from becoming socially acceptable.

I think this story is a great example of how quickly common sense gets lost and strict "no tolerance" attitudes can become acceptable, particularly when guns are involved.
common sense says you dont walk into a police station with a gun, specifically when you just finished talking to the station on the phone and you never mentioned the gun. in the us you would never make it to trial if you tried it

"wildhawker
People generally do what they want, not what they can, or should."
Old 11-13-2009, 7:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I bet you would never believe America would experience an internal Marxist
coup either. Constitutional protections mean nothing to these people, heck they are getting ready to tax you for global poverty.
Old 11-13-2009, 7:48 PM

Well renew your NRA membership so they can keep fighting to protect your right to keep and bear arms ...
Old 11-13-2009, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrym66 View Post
Here's a view into our future....if firearm ownership is banned in the US, as it has been in the UK, Australia, and many other countries.

This story is just unbelievable.... from http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/n...l/article.html
It strikes me that if the prosecutor handled the shotgun, he, too, faces strict liability.

That being said, the troop could have handled it better.
Old 11-13-2009, 8:09 PM
Live Free Or Die
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles48 View Post
It strikes me that if the prosecutor handled the shotgun, he, too, faces strict liability.

That being said, the troop could have handled it better.
He probably didn't realize it'd be a big deal, being a former soldier who probably handled them every day during his service.

-Jason
Old 11-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
The UK seems determined to turn as many ordinary civilians into felons as possible. I'll leave it up to your imagination as to why they might want to do that.
Uh..........'cus the whole bloom'n country has gone stark rave'n mad?
Old 11-14-2009, 10:35 AM

If you guys have not notice, we are heading towards the European way of doing things.....
Old 11-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Calguns Addict

that story is insane
Old 11-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Banned

The only thing I would turn over to the government are the bullets that come out of the end of my barrel.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't think anything bad should have happened to this guy for simply trying to do the right thing.

But anyone, in any country, who walks into a cop shop with a gun, unannounced, and without prior planning or notification, is setting themselves up to have a nasty experience of some sort.
Old 11-14-2009, 2:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
....this is the UK, not the US. they didn't have laws to protect their gun rights, we do.
Not for long if we're not careful.
Quote:
maybe our gun rights are a little out of whack, but anyone who thinks we are going to lose our guns is crazy and needs to go back to their Y2K bunker.
Immediately, no, but if we're not as determined as the people trying to take them we very well might.
In Pennsylvania Your permit to carry concealed is called a License to carry fire arms. Other states call it a CCW. In New Jersey it's called a crime.
Discretionary Issue is the new Separate but Equal.
Old 11-14-2009, 3:15 PM

Silly Brits, at least the theme in common is prosectuting normal law abiding citizens instead of going after real criminals
Old 11-14-2009, 5:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondmid003 View Post
Silly Brits, at least the theme in common is prosectuting normal law abiding citizens instead of going after real criminals

The United Kingdom. The sister nation to the PRK.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:02 PM

Great Britain we hardly know you anymore.....

You were a country that at the time of our insurrection had the best military in the world.
You were a country that gave us Sir. Winston Churchill. A country who during WW2 taught our OSS some of the best ways to kill our enemies with a gun or bare hands.
You created one of the best Special Forces units in the world with the SAS.

Yes, you had the sprirt of the warrior but sadly today all we see is a country of politically correct cowards.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

Everybody in England is a criminal until proven innocent. May that countries government sink under the Thames.

This poor guy cannot really be going to jail, this is just insane behavior, in trying to make an example of him to the rest of the public, i wonder what a .22lr or a 9mm round would get you. Damn there is one lying around in my fathers old Garage back over there. Probably send a swat team in to clear it or the Bomb Squad.
Old 11-15-2009, 9:40 AM

You wonder if there's such as thing as a "Queen's Pardon".
If, as the judge states, there is no defense for the charge, it's a bad law.
Old 11-15-2009, 1:46 PM

That case is just one more illustration of why I believe "Strict Liability" in criminal law ought not to be allowed.

Strict liability basically means that proving criminal intent is totally unnecessary. Commission of the action, regardless of the circumstances or your state of mind, is enough to gain a conviction.

Ryan
Bless, O Lord, this creature beer, which thou hast deigned to produce from the fat of grain: that it may be a salutary remedy to the human race, and grant through the invocation of thy holy name; that, whoever shall drink it, may gain health in body and peace in soul. Through Christ our Lord. Amen
Old 11-15-2009, 3:50 PM

Reading stuff like this kills me man, I mean WTF man. Makes me start losing hope for the UK.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:41 AM

There seem to be some question as to the accuracy of the quoted statement. This guy Clarke has had a few runs in's with the cops etc.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:18 PM

http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/n...l/article.html

Check out the bottom of the page:
"-Comments on this story have been disabled for legal reasons"

How convenient.