Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-13-2009, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

Default Sell me on a Droid (or iPhone or whatever)

For almost a decade, I have been a basic cell phone kind of guy. When ever I get a new service, I always take the cheapest cell phone they have available (you know what I'm talking about, the kind that are like $35 on sale).

Last year I decided to "upgrade" and now I have a phone that can play mp3s. It cost my $150. Yay. I text message a lot, and I listen to music while I'm at work or traveling.

I see more and more people that own an iPhone or some other multitasking device and I think it may be time to modernize myself with the rest of society.

So those of you tech experts and sociologist tell me why I, a 23 y/o college student, need an iPhone. How will the iPhone or droid make my life better that it's worth the over $200 a month access fee compared to my $45 cricket service or free internet access with my laptop?
Old 11-13-2009, 8:39 AM

Because on an Iphone you can be on Calguns all day at work. I just got mine a week ago and love it. I used to be the same I would get the cheapest phone, but it was time to upgrade and I love it
Old 11-13-2009, 8:58 AM
Veteran Member

It's not the phone cost - you can always get a cheap phone with Net access. It's the cost of the service plan that allows you access to the Net. 3G can be fast, but it depends on the provider. If you're on campus, and access is not restricted and free, save your money and use your laptop.

However, I would caution you on security. Free public internet service is NOT secure or they can possibly monitor your usage. At one gym/recreation facility, I was talking to one of the TechHeads, and he said they provide free access to all the members, but if he wanted to, he could monitor what you were downloading or viewing. They also put a filter on their free access to prevent unwanted subject matter from being viewed - it's a family facility. Basically, their house, their rules.

I don't have an iPhone, Blackberry, Droid, Blackjack, HTC, etc. I have a Smartphone. What kind of apps do I need? None, really. I have an iPod for music/movies, a GPS in the car, and a phone. I just use my laptop for basically everything.

If you really need/want an iPhone just because everyone else has one, then buy an older generation one for cheap and try to get a corporate account or add-on/piggyback off of someone else account. Their rates are discounted by 10-15%.
Old 11-13-2009, 9:58 AM

Wait for droids to be offered by more venders. It has the potential to be an iphone killer. if nothing else it will drive the price of iphones down.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:22 AM

I agree the biggest dray back for all the new 3G phones is not the cost of the phone but how much you actually have to pay to use all that the phone offers. I knew one of my friends has At&t and she used to pay $170 a month for unlimited talk, text, and internet. I believe that she had a blackberry. The carrier are starting to become more competitive though with their pricing too. Sprint has a plan that is "everything" for 99.99. T-mobile now has an everything plan for 79.99 or 89.99 I can't remember. I think verizon is about on par for unlimited everything in price with At&t. As for the Iphone it's like all other apple software: they want you to download as many extraneous applications as they can until one day it just won't work anymore. (no offense to all those who love their I-phone) They are the "in" thing to have. As for the droid I have heard good things about it so far, we shall see what everyone says about it in about 6 months or so. If you really need a phone that does all this for you I suggest that you really talk to a well informed sales person and tell them what you really use your phone for and they can tell you what would be good for you. That is if you can find a good sales person. hope that helps
Old 11-13-2009, 10:44 AM

Honestly, with things like this, I sometimes feel like if you need to be sold on why it'll make your life better, the truth is it probably won't make your life better.

Statements I make on this forum should not be construed as giving legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:10 AM

if you text alot, go for something with a sliding keyboard under the touch screen, if you watch alot of movies or read on your device, or would like to, the iphone is hard to beat, theres an app for 10.00 called bookshelp, you load up pdf, word, html, whatever adn can read it on your iphone, i read on mine for 2 hours a day on the train, while listening to music, and its a phone, so i dont have to carry 3 items.

i bought my wife the first generation google phone, and its not as slick as an iphone, but its still nice and its getting better.

WTB: 28"+ VersaMax or 28"+ 930 barrel
WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)

Free rides with Lyft

Starline Brass for Sale
Old 11-13-2009, 11:38 AM

Blackberry.

With any smartphone (iphone, BB, android, oe winmo). It eliminates the need to have all the following separate devices: GPS, MP3 player, calender/organizer, alarm clock, laptop/netbook depending on what you use it for (documents to go is awesome but free versions are limited if you do elaborate tasks), calculator (most smartphones have a downloadable scientific or business calculator available, camera (for emergency situations ie car accident when u need some quick pics), voice recorder, video clip recorder, portable movie player, plus any downloadable progam that could eliminate the need for things like portable games, ..anything else anyone can think of?

Anyways, if you want to have all those options in a device that fits in your pocket, get one. You can find discounts. I have a tailored package of 450 mins peak unlimited off peak, 500 out of network unlimited in network texts, and unlimited net and pay$ 64 a month with verizon after work discounts. Do it.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:44 AM

I really like my Iphone, no android will kill the Apple.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Calguns Addict

cuz like, everyone else totally has one, like. duh!

I'm all for simplicity. go with what you know

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-13-2009, 1:18 PM

Do you want to pay an extra $40 for internet on your phone when you say you already have internet on your laptop?

I just dropped down to a regular phone plan, as I had a blackberry, and didn't use the internet all that much anymore.

It's a $360 a year savings for me to just use a regular phone with a keyboard (I text a LOT) than it was to have the same thing with internet and email.

SURE, it's great to have internet on your phone, but then you end up killing your battery every day by constantly using it.

Iphone, you can't replace the battery, and unless you have the apple dr or whatever, you are SOL if you kill the battery, or you drop your dainty phone.

DROID, IMO, is a bit better, but I'd wait a few months and let the cost drop down through Verizon. I like the phone a lot, but the cost of the plan on top of my phone plan already, is just not worth it. It's like $432 a year for the 'droid plan' IIRC.

That's the only thing I hate about the 'internet' phones. I can get a regular phone, that has internet capabilities (like my other phone that required an 'internet' package through VZW) for 120 a month for 2 phones (plus taxes and fees) Yet, even if I have that internet plan, the DROID would cost another 35 dollars for the 'package' 'required' to use it.

Comes down to cost, battery life, and if you REALLY need it.

Last edited by caoboy; 11-13-2009 at 1:26 PM..
Old 11-13-2009, 2:35 PM

I am an iPhone user, and got my first one back when I was 23 and in college. I used it every day as my media/ipod viewer, between classes and everywhere. I use the phone to check prices when at the store and do some research on some products I was going to buy. I sync with my computer my schedule and deadlines. I recently tried out the Droid because the one thing that kills my iPhone experience is AT&T service. In SoCal its spotty where I live. I didn't like the Droid because of the interface and controls. When using your iphone the web browser is better. The touch is responsive but with out the ability to pinch zoom and gesturing it feels like it doesn't even need to be touchable. My advice is look for the best coverage in your area. Cause your not going to enjoy either with out full service.
Old 11-13-2009, 2:46 PM

If you need to be "sold" on the idea of an iPhone or a smartphone, then it's not for you. If you're just chasing a fad because everyone else seems to, save your money and spend it on ammo or a new gun. Coming to the discussion with that attitude means you're pretty solidly in the 'I need a good reason to change my mind' mindset. If you can't find your own reason to get it, then it's unlikely anyone here will provide one for you.

It's not for everyone, and anyone who tells you otherwise is full of crap. Or trying to sell you an iPhone/Android phone.

Me? I love my iPhone. I use it all the time because: I'm on the road a lot; I like being online a lot; I use a lot of web-enabled apps for work and personally; I am a Mac user in general. But I'm not a zealot or an evangelist.

If you don't find yourself online a lot, or you don't like Macs, then it's not a the right phone for you. Now, this is not to say you can't become someone who uses it to remain connected a lot. For instance, I started to text a whole lot more than when I had a Plain Jane phone (because it was easier and it kept a log of my conversations a whole lot better). But that's an entirely personal call: you may not want to become constantly connected.

Disclaimer: The poster is not responsible for any damage to the reader's keyboard, monitor, or dignity as a result of this post's comments.
"I am a sinner that does not expect forgiveness. But I am not a government official." Francis Wolcott (Deadwood)
Old 11-13-2009, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
If you need to be "sold" on the idea of an iPhone or a smartphone, then it's not for you. If you're just chasing a fad because everyone else seems to, save your money and spend it on ammo or a new gun. Coming to the discussion with that attitude means you're pretty solidly in the 'I need a good reason to change my mind' mindset. If you can't find your own reason to get it, then it's unlikely anyone here will provide one for you.

It's not for everyone, and anyone who tells you otherwise is full of crap. Or trying to sell you an iPhone/Android phone.

Me? I love my iPhone. I use it all the time because: I'm on the road a lot; I like being online a lot; I use a lot of web-enabled apps for work and personally; I am a Mac user in general. But I'm not a zealot or an evangelist.
If you don't find yourself online a lot, or you don't like Macs, then it's not a the right phone for you. Now, this is not to say you can't become someone who uses it to remain connected a lot. For instance, I started to text a whole lot more than when I had a Plain Jane phone (because it was easier and it kept a log of my conversations a whole lot better). But that's an entirely personal call: you may not want to become constantly connected.
^^^^

If you don't think you will use or ever need the internet on your celly then do not get a "smarth phone". If you really want to try out a smart phone , try one out for 30 days and make sure you use them as hard as you can. If you don't like to tweak or mess with computers and the settings on them , then i recommend you stay away from Windows mobile. The iphone is great but the absence of a physical keyboard for some people is a no go. The droid is awesome but they keyboard is funky you have to get used to it and there is not as much apps for them that i know about .
Old 11-13-2009, 8:10 PM

Let me also say that AT&T sucks. I love my Iphone. But it is the worst phone I have ever used, because of AT&T.

I live in the middle of suburbia and can't use it anywhere near my house.

When it works it's awesome. Thankfully, much of my day is spent away from home so I can surf the net... uh, I mean work.

Did I mention that I hate AT&T?
Old 11-13-2009, 11:21 PM
In Memoriam

note how every phone coming out these days are referred to as "iPhone" killers?
Old 11-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbob View Post
Wait for droids to be offered by more venders. It has the potential to be an iphone killer. if nothing else it will drive the price of iphones down.
This ^

RIght now the iphone is a better buy for your needs (if not a blackberry) but until the Android stuff becomes a more stable and readily available platform the iphone is a better choice since its on its 3rd gen and has a lot of bugs worked out
Old 11-14-2009, 12:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldivinag View Post
note how every phone coming out these days are referred to as "iPhone" killers?
That's just because the media loves to look at Apple products as being the best (they're not) and tells everyone that their products are a must have thing.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-14-2009, 2:58 PM
Now in AZ
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Personally I love my Windows Mobile device. It is an old Treo 750 that originally came with Win Mobile 5.0 but I am now running a cooked 6.5 ROM and it's great. I am working on getting a new HTC Touch HD2 (supposedly t-mobile will carry it by Q1 2010, so I'll just buy it sans contract and unlocked it since I am on AT&T)

I never worry about losing my contacts, e-mails, calendar, SMS/MMS, etc because I have connected via ActiveSync to my MS Exchange server (Exchange 2010). I can wipe my phone completely and keep everything since it all resides on my server. Plenty of applications for the phone, and is fairly easy to write applications for with Visual Studio.

I will also say for typical consumers the iPhone is nice and probably has the best web browser of any mobile device (WinMo 6.5 finally moved to IE6, Opera is probably the best WinMo browser and it supports tabbed browsing, but not as smooth as the iPhone mobile version of Safari)

It all depends on what you expect out of the phone. I use mine more a tool and don't really use it as a media player althought it supports it (I hardly even use my media players outside of when I work out). I focus on using for remote access to my personal and my works Sharepoint sites, access LogMeIn, or use the RDP client. Somewhat more business oriented type use.

Blackberrys work great when combined with BES. The most "corporate" of the smart phones. Several different device types.

Win Mobile is pretty much a pocket computer in the way it works and the phone functionallity is more like an appliation on the computer. A blend between the two extremes so it doesn't really take top honors for anything, but it does everything you could possibly want and more. Has the widest array of different device types. Unfortunately many of the better ones none of the carriers in the US have so you have to buy unlocked or buy from overseas and risk data coverage or speed due to radio differences. Tmobile is probably the most WinMo supportive. AT&T limits the type of WinMo devices they carry because some of them are too similar to the iPhone in design (See Touch HD or the new Touch HD2).

Symbian (Nokia smartphone), a very nice option as well. I would put its style of function as similar to Win Mobile. Not very popular in the US, but has a pretty strong following overseas.

iPhone is the most consumer styled device. Some more functionality can be gained by jailbreaking it as that gets you access to some "non-approved" apps. Apple doesn't like Jailbreakers very much though, lol. It does supoprt Exchange, but its support is fairly limited and unless you get the 3GS device encryption is not supported.

Others: Palm Pre isn't that great IMO, and its exchange support is fairly terrible. A bit quirky. Android phone are ok, needs a bit more time to mature, but if your company runs Exchange you will currently need some third party apps to get a proper minimum level of support.