Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:59 PM

Just wondering if anyone has bought one from these guys yet. I was confused when I stumbled on to the californiabushmaster.com site and saw what they said was legal but my local gun store said was not. I called the AG's firearms division (very helpful people by the way) and they said it was legal to buy. Maybe my local dealer just isn't aware of the product yet.
Old 03-17-2005, 6:13 PM

Before I found out about Bigmac & Irvington Arms not one local shop would special order anything for me if it wasn't already on their shelves or by adding on an extra $200 if their excuse "can't have it in Ca" didn't work.
I think I have "sucker" written on my forehead.
NOT one of them would look into it either & didn't care if I did my research or even printed my own DOJ-Handgun list for them.
Old 03-15-2005, 1:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">... saw what they said was legal but my local gun store said was not... Maybe my local dealer just isn't aware of the product yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your gun dealer - like many others - doesn't know the CA AW laws and DOJ regulations.

Somm FFLs are a bit timid, understandably - esp things like pistol-grip-less FALs. But this is clear-cut.

These special Bushmaster AR receivers were legally imported into CA by a company holding a Calif. Assault Weapons Permit. This co. then welds up the lowers to not take hicap magazines, and instead has some sort of 10rd fixed magazine modification. Thus, we have yet another FAB10 or Vuclan-class lower.

These modifications are both sufficiently permanent and significantly differentiate this receiver from a regular AR that Cal DOJ Firearms Div has determined it is legal:it is no longer an "AR15 class member" as orig determined by Aug 2000 Kasler decision.

Print the web page out, take it to your FFL if you wanna buy one. If he doesn't wanna help you, find another FFL that will - then go back and show your old FFL your purchase. Don't be too smarmy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">called the AG's firearms division (very helpful people by the way) and they said it was legal to buy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Cal DOJ Firarms people - not always the front desk clerks but maybe one level away - seem to be generally pretty sharp esp on AW issues, etc. They seem to think before they speak and don't just give blanket "No!" responses. And a fairly friendly manner to such inquiries makes you feel not like borderline criminal.

Cal DOJ staff I've spoken too seem far sharper than BATF folks I've spoken with in past. Back in mid-90s when I was trying to decipher 922(r) "domestic compliance" I could randomly dial a BATF staffer and get an "answer du jour" one way or another.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-15-2005, 1:22 PM

Your dealer probably just heard the word 'Bushmaster' and said no due to the fact that Bushy themselves do not produce a CA-legal model.
Old 03-15-2005, 2:37 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bwiese:
...Cal DOJ Firarms people - not always the front desk clerks but maybe one level away - seem to be generally pretty sharp esp on AW issues, etc. They seem to think before they speak and don't just give blanket "No!" responses. And a fairly friendly manner to such inquiries makes you feel not like borderline criminal.

Cal DOJ staff I've spoken too seem far sharper than BATF folks I've spoken with in past. Back in mid-90s when I was trying to decipher 922(r) "domestic compliance" I could randomly dial a BATF staffer and get an "answer du jour" one way or another.

Bill Wiese
San Jose </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, they have been 100% when I have dealt with them. They are not afraid to explain the law or speak about technical issues. And, as you wrote, they have never made me feel criminal or marginal, or a leper.

When I consider how much flak they must have taken since the AW ban, my hat is off to them and whoever is running that place. They could be treating us a lot worse.
Old 03-16-2005, 4:18 AM

Yep. Us slaves got good masters.
Old 03-17-2005, 5:54 PM

I recently spoke with GB Sales about it and they said they had laid the groundwork with Jackson Arms and High Bridge Arms to purchase their guns. So, off I go...
Old 03-15-2005, 12:59 PM

Just wondering if anyone has bought one from these guys yet. I was confused when I stumbled on to the californiabushmaster.com site and saw what they said was legal but my local gun store said was not. I called the AG's firearms division (very helpful people by the way) and they said it was legal to buy. Maybe my local dealer just isn't aware of the product yet.