Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-09-2016, 6:00 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Default AB-2540 - Melendez -Sales Tax Exemption on Gun Safes

Assembly Member Melissa Melendez has introduced a bill to provide a one-year state sales tax exemption on gun safes valued at $1,000 or less. The exemption would also apply to trigger locks.

Do you think it has a chance?

Senate Public Safety Chair Loni Hancock:
"Yeah, we do that quite a lot, actually..."

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 05-09-2016, 7:15 AM
Calguns Addict

It has the benefit of fitting into the 'gun safety' agenda of the left... but also poses a threat to the collection of taxes.

I give it a 50/50 chance.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 05-09-2016, 7:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Zero chance. No way will the dems allow a republican sponsored bill to pass. It's war.
Old 05-09-2016, 8:30 AM

There's no way their going to let any tax exemption go through, period, even if it showed public safety benefit. How on earth are all the mooches going to get all the freebies.
Old 05-09-2016, 8:45 AM
Veteran Member

Exactly. If you want them to vote for something, make it a new tax. Like a tax on gun buy backs.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 05-09-2016, 12:47 PM

They arent trying to pass gun laws for the safety of the people so this really doesnt fit into their agenda at all
Old 05-09-2016, 3:22 PM

Any tax exemption from Democrats would come with many strings attached.

Lorcin L380 with bottle opener mag attachment
Old 05-09-2016, 4:48 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
They arent trying to pass gun laws for the safety of the people so this really doesnt fit into their agenda at all
But they claim they are all about public safety. Its for the children. How could they not support this without looking like idiots?

They can support door-to-door confiscation of firearms and magazines, but not the cost of an incentive for gun owners to secure their firearms? I support the motive behind this bill. Calling them out on their own game.

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 05-09-2016, 9:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by compulsivegunbuyer View Post
There's no way their going to let any tax exemption go through, period, even if it showed public safety benefit. How on earth are all the mooches going to get all the freebies.
Oh, I dunno. Maybe raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour to push low wage workers into a higher tax base, increasing the revenue taken from entry level workers who have no idea that they are paying double the rate they would at $10 an hour.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 05-09-2016, 9:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
But they claim they are all about public safety. Its for the children. How could they not support this without looking like idiots?

They can support door-to-door confiscation of firearms and magazines, but not the cost of an incentive for gun owners to secure their firearms? I support the motive behind this bill. Calling them out on their own game.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
These arrogant SOB's Democrats are drunk on power. They take the 80% support they get from the voters of CA 100% for granted. They KNOW that they are guaranteed re-election solely on the basis of the "D" next to their names, thus they have zero incentive to do anything---no matter how sensible---for the opposition they despise so much.

NRA Lifetime Member.
Hunter & Target Shooter.
Musician. Computer Geek.
Married with kids.
San Diego County--Lifetime resident.
Passionate supporter of RTKBA.
Supporter of conceal and open-carry.

"It's called the BILL OF RIGHTS. Not the Bill of Needs"
Old 05-09-2016, 10:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Look at it from a political perspective...

Assembly Member Melissa Melendez is trying to get a win against the anti-gun legislators.

If they vote "yes" for this it will show they are willing to allow "common sense" legislation. If they vote "no" it means they are absolutely against anything related to firearms and proves the point that they want to rid the state of firearms.

Pretty slick move, if you ask me...

-- John Wayne as Davy Crockett in The Alamo
Old 05-10-2016, 12:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

bingo

next comes the tax rebate...

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 05-10-2016, 4:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The Assembly Public Safety Committee defeated AB 2478 in April.

AB 2478 (Melendez - Lake Elsinore, CA) would have made it a felony rather than a misdemeanor to steal any firearm regardless of its value(correcting the harm done by Prop 47, which made it a misdemeanor to steal a firearm valued under $1,000).

Ok...so this same committee passed 8 of 10 gun control bills around this same time, along party lines...and killed this bill that would have actually punished a criminal who stole a firearm instead of giving him a slap on the wrist.

It has nothing to do with safety....

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Last edited by BluNorthern; 05-10-2016 at 4:27 AM..
Old 05-10-2016, 4:42 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

AB 2540 was up to be heard by the Revenue & Taxation Committee yesterday afternoon. I wasn't able to watch it, but the archived video is up. I'll take a look at it when I get a chance to see how it fared.

http://calchannel.granicus.com/Media...7&clip_id=3680

Old 05-10-2016, 4:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
AB 2540 was up to be heard by the Revenue & Taxation Committee yesterday afternoon. I wasn't able to watch it, but the archived video is up. I'll take a look at it when I get a chance to see how it fared.

http://calchannel.granicus.com/Media...7&clip_id=3680
No update on her FB page.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 05-10-2016, 6:00 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNorthern View Post
No update on her FB page.
It looks like it went into the suspense file. About 1.20.00 in the video.

R&T Committee bill analysis here https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01520160AB2540

Basically, "Safes can hold a variety of things other than firearms, such as jewelry, etc., so no guaranteed increase in public safety."

Last edited by Dutch3; 05-10-2016 at 6:06 AM..
Old 05-10-2016, 6:08 AM
Veteran Member

It is getting hard to stomach the idiot voters who elect and reelect these politicians.
Old 05-10-2016, 7:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thank you Assemblywoman Melendez! For consistently pushing back and even forward against the insanity in Sacramento. She's a 2a champion!
Old 05-10-2016, 8:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It looks like it went into the suspense file. About 1.20.00 in the video.

R&T Committee bill analysis here https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01520160AB2540

Basically, "Safes can hold a variety of things other than firearms, such as jewelry, etc., so no guaranteed increase in public safety."
Just like firearms can be used for lots of purposes besides crime?

Old 05-10-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Thats a bell the majority of them will never have to answer. How often is a candidates voting record actually looked at by voters during an election? I would have a hard time believing it even approaches 1% of the time.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:

i think all jewlry, rings, necklaces, pendants should be required to be locked up as well. they are small and are defiantly a choking hazard for small children when they get their hands on them.
lock them up with cable locks and they cant possibly pose a threat anymore.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/children...oking-hazards/

Last edited by darkshire; 05-10-2016 at 12:21 PM..