Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Buying a revolver from gunbroker

I want to buy a S&W revolver from gunbroker. My issue is that some of the items there do not match the "-#" as those on the roster. Example: Model 64-3 does not appear on the roster but has the same barrel length/description as 64-7 and 64-8. Can I still get the 64-3?

Also, what if the item description on gunbroker does not specify the "-#"?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:50 AM

The "dash" number must be on the list. Ask the seller the "dash" before you bid.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yep dash number must match.
Old 11-06-2009, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, it's crazy - you can buy any generation Glock 17 you want, but with S&W, you have to stick to the approved dash version.

NRA Life Member
Old 11-06-2009, 4:29 PM
CGN Contributor

thats because Glock was smart and kept the same model number even though they upgraded the design. Other manufacturers like S&W and Springfield come up with different models, dash versions, SKU#s on a weekly basis when they don't need to.

Had Glock done the Glock 17-1 , 17-2, 17-3, etc for the dfferent versions, then we'd be dealing with the same thing with Glock. As it is, with the RTF and SF models, since Glock differentiated them from the regular versions, then then Roster starts affecting them as well. Lets see how the new 4th generation glocks get affected when they get released next year.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by ke6guj; 11-06-2009 at 4:31 PM..
Old 11-06-2009, 4:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxicon View Post
Yeah, it's crazy - you can buy any generation Glock 17 you want,
but with S&W, you have to stick to the approved dash version.
You have found a major issue with the Roster and Glocks and perhaps vendor-specific preferential treatment by DOJ FD/BoF.

And Glocks have *substantive* changes made thru the various generations of a given model; it's not just a grip reshaping.

Of course I could be wrong, and maybe just DOJ BoF is incompetent.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-06-2009, 5:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
Other manufacturers like S&W and Springfield come up with different models, dash versions, SKU#s on a weekly basis when they don't need to.
Correct me if I'm wrong but there are differences between S&W dash models and everytime they change something internal, they come up with a new dash number. For instance elimination of cylinder counterbore, gas ring, removal of cylinder stop stud, MIM hammer and frame mounted pin, on and on.
Old 11-06-2009, 5:10 PM
CGN Contributor

could be, but they didn't have to use dash #s to indicate incremental changes to the design. That was their choice to do so.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-06-2009, 5:49 PM

"but they didn't have to use dash #s to indicate incremental changes to the design. That was their choice to do so."

Not a big fan of S&W since the Clinton era sell-out, but they made the choice to use dash numbers in 1959! They were supposed to know that California would create a bogus “safe” gun registry and differentiate models down to the dash number? The problem here is California, not S&W's dash number system.

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Old 11-06-2009, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangevale View Post
"but they didn't have to use dash #s to indicate incremental changes to the design. That was their choice to do so."

Not a big fan of S&W since the Clinton era sell-out, but they made the choice to use dash numbers in 1959! They were supposed to know that California would create a bogus “safe” gun registry and differentiate models down to the dash number? The problem here is California, not S&W's dash number system.
+1....

Old 11-06-2009, 6:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Those darn dash on a S&W model 10 prevented me from jumping on a real nice one.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 11-06-2009, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Those darn dash on a S&W model 10 prevented me from jumping on a real nice one.
WOW! You must be really particular about the Model 10 dash numbers you’re willing to buy. Or maybe, “what the general meant to say” was “The darn list prevented me from jumping on a real nice S&W model 10.”

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Old 11-07-2009, 7:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinggoyd1967 View Post
I want to buy a S&W revolver from gunbroker. My issue is that some of the items there do not match the "-#" as those on the roster. Example: Model 64-3 does not appear on the roster but has the same barrel length/description as 64-7 and 64-8. Can I still get the 64-3?

Also, what if the item description on gunbroker does not specify the "-#"?

Sorry Jinggo, the "dash" numbers have to be the same as the listed piece on the safe gun roster.

Curio & Relics, single action wheelguns with a barrel over a cetain length, and single shot pistols are exempt, as well as listed Olmypic style pistols.

The only way you'll be able to legally get a 64-3 is through a PPT, or a consignment sale at an FFL.
- Jeff Cooper

Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos