Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 10-19-2009, 8:30 PM
Veteran Member

Default please help get a good girl into shooting!

i posted this in another thread, but it seemed like a major derail. so i figured i'd start a new thread. i figure the insightful ladies could give me some insight into my issue.. thanks in advance, and sorry if y'all resent young men posting threads in this forum section. i didnt know, im new here!
so ive taken my girlfriend out shooting twice. i guess i should give some background.
my girlfriend is from thailand, is here on an F1 visa, has been in america for 8 months. its her second stay, her first one was only a month. as one could imagine, guns are not as prevalent in northern thailand as they are in the usa... she had only ever seen m16's before, being carried by the military over there. our first trip out, she was scared of all the guns at first.(there is also a somewhat substantial language barrier, when trying to explain the fine points of shooting. she is here to learn english, mainly.) i got her fixed up with my ruger 10/22, and it took her a good 5 minutes to get the first shot off. after that, i think she was hooked. followed all my suggestions on trigger discipline, safety, muzzle awareness, and actually did a darn good job of shooting the white flyer biodegradables i had set out for her. she went through about 60 rounds of 22lr, and decided she was done. i offered her some more shooting, but she declined. i didnt push her, figured it was already a bit of culture shock, and the smile she wore told me that the first trip was a success already. no need for overkill. she wasnt nervous about my ar bump-fire, actually got a few giggles out of it. (and so did i )
so second time out, is our first time to a private range, as in pay-to-shoot. i took with us my savage 93r17, and my m1a supermatch. i get lined up at 50yd, and make sure i hadnt inadvertently dropped the savage and threw it off zero. got a decent group at poa, and handed it over. this is her first time with a scope, and as such, cant find the target. (18x@50yd, who can blame her) so i keep a hand on the zoom ring, and go to max once she tells me she is centered on the target. she gets two groups around 3/4" using this method. pretty good, for a rookie. im a broke-butt youngster, so the half-hour is up by this time and i have to shift lanes to check sight-in on the m1a.
so, my question ensues. when is it time to bump her up to handguns and centerfires? when she asks to shoot them? she never really asks for anything, it might be cultural difference, it might be that she is easy to get along with, but i just thought i'd defer to the fairer gender in this scenario. i dont want to force her, i cant really be sure that she wouldnt accept just to appease me asking her... then she could be turned off to higher powered weapons forever. i dont want to make that mistake. i picked up a 9mm today, could that be a good segue? anyways, thanks, in advance, for your insight!!

Last edited by sevensix2x51; 10-19-2009 at 9:52 PM..
Old 10-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

Don't force it on her. You gotta be gradual, you can always offer her an invitation but you got some serious stigma and communication to get by. One step at a time.

OIF 07-09 Veteran
NRA Endowment Member, CRPA Life Member
Old 10-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah02 View Post
Don't force it on her. You gotta be gradual, you can always offer her an invitation but you got some serious stigma and communication to get by. One step at a time.
thank you! thats what i was thinking. just wanted a couple second opinions.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think most people will agree that going from rimfires to centerfires or rifles to handguns is not "bumping up". It is simply moving over. OK, going from long guns to handguns may be taking a step down or backwards but, it's definately not "bumping up". Relax and let her decide what she wants to do. If you push her, it may turn her away from firearms and you too. I've had the pleasure of teaching more than a few females to shoot. Some of them just love shooting .22s and don't want to try anything else and others, well....lets just say that some women like the feeling of a bigger gun discharging. I know one female member here who hasn't been shooting too long but, last summer, she jumped on her bike and rode down to Coalinga to watch a FCSA match. She was a bit apprehensive but, she did get behind one and pull the trigger. I've got a picture of her with her 50 grin. I can't post it though. She's a bit shy and asked me not to. I taught another girl to shoot when she was about 13, by the time she was 14, she could handle my .44mag a lot better than I can. No joke, she's a damn good shot with it and I would have more luck if I just threw it at the target. As far as your girl goes, let her know that she doesn't need to shoot any gun but, all your guns are available for her to try if she wants to. If she's not having fun shooting, she won't want to do it anymore.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 10-20-2009, 8:00 AM
Veteran Member

^^^^^^^^DITTO^^^^^^^^^
it's for together time and fun, the emphasis on FUN

Thieves are the lowest form of life out there, except for liberal politicians, of course, but that's redundant.
Old 10-20-2009, 8:08 AM

I'd stick with the 10/22 and take her when she wants to go. IF she wants to shoot 10 rounds, let her. If she wants to shoot everything you have let her. Just go slow. You've pop'd her cherry on shooting so just take your time and focus on developing safe firearm handling skills first, then good shooting skills.
Old 10-20-2009, 8:36 AM
Veteran Member

ya know, your situation is similar to my wife. when i first took her shooting, i had her shot my buckmark 22lr. she was apprehensive about it, but she shot it. she felt comfortable shooting a 22lr. after that, i had her shoot the 10/22 to get a feel for it. she liked it. then i had her try my beretta 92. she didn't want to try it, but said you shoot it first. i put 1 round in the magazine and took a shot. afterwards, i put 1 round in the magazine and told her to shoot it. i kept reminding her that there is 1 round. she felt comfortable shooting 1 round because there couldn't be a 2nd shoot. after she shot the 9mm, i asked her how it was. she said that it was more powerful than the 22lr. i put in 3 rounds of 9mm in the beretta. she fired off all 3 rounds. i moved her up to 45acp. i told her that the recoil would be harder than the 9mm. she fired 1 shot and didn't like the recoil. the final gun she shot was a 357. she really didn't want to shoot that because the ammo was larger than the 45. still, i had her shoot 1 round of it. she actually like it because the recoil wasn't as harsh was the 45.

basically, my method was to make her comfortable by only letting her shoot 1 round at a time. if she liked it, then i would let her shoot couple more round of the same caliber. that made her feel comfortable because she couldn't fire off an accidental round. hope that helps dude.
Old 10-20-2009, 9:31 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The recoil on an AR is really not that bad, even from standing up. However, I think you should have her sit down and shoot with the rifle resting on something, to avoid the shock of the recoil. I say take everything you have with you. Show her how to use one properly, then let her shoot 50 rounds out of it, then move onto the next, and so forth. I think she will really start to enjoy it after she starts getting good at it! My GF always ask when She can kick my a** at shooting again!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:29 AM

be careful. she might start loving your guns more than you
Old 10-20-2009, 12:38 PM
C3 Leader

To the OP, you are and will continue to receive some of the best advice on here from all these experienced members. I think the best thing is that everyone on here is very helpful and give very diverse views on what could work for a new female shooter.

Me, I'm Chinese, so I can understand some of the cultural differences you may be facing with your new GF. As everyone has mentioned, you can't push her and still expect her to have fun. Most of us chicks tend to move at our own speeds according to how we feel on a particular day.

You know, some days we want to bake you a cake and on another, we just have to kill something!

Like one post said, watch out when she gets hooked! You'll have to constantly update your shopping list! (As if that's a bad thing, right?)

The 10/22 is a great starter rifle, but as a pistol shooter, my tastes tend to go towards handguns. You never know -- she may like all this so much that she'll become Double Distinguished!

Best of luck to the two of you... it's a cool way to spend time together.
Old 10-20-2009, 3:41 PM

Get her a Walther P22.
I can't stop shooting that gun...it's so fun!
I have plenty of other guns to choose from
but I shoot the heck out of that .22

I just got 10,000 rounds for it! Yippie!
Old 10-20-2009, 5:12 PM
Veteran Member

What I have done, on the rifle side, is start off with the 22 AR, then show them the 5.56 one, and on handguns, start with the Glock 17 with the AA 22 Conversion, then move over to the 9mm. Let them see how it works at first with the rimfire first, then move up to the bigger caliber, and leave them up to them if they want to go or down. Then move to a different weapon...
-bb

NRA Life Endowment Member - CRPA Member

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin, 1759
Old 10-20-2009, 6:48 PM
Veteran Member

thanks for the replies! i think i'll just let her decide what she wants to shoot, and when. the emphasis, as it always is, being on 'fun.' that was kinda the original plan, anyways. i should just thank my lucky stars i was able to get a buddhist to shoot a gun in the first place!

thanks again, y'all.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:45 PM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevensix2x51 View Post
thanks for the replies! i think i'll just let her decide what she wants to shoot, and when. the emphasis, as it always is, being on 'fun.' that was kinda the original plan, anyways. i should just thank my lucky stars i was able to get a buddhist to shoot a gun in the first place!

thanks again, y'all.
Just remember, Buddhists have nothing against defending those who cannot defend themselves. That should never have been one of your worries when it comes to teaching her firearms safety. Look at how well Jet Li takes care of business - lol
Old 10-21-2009, 3:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyrlp10 View Post
Just remember, Buddhists have nothing against defending those who cannot defend themselves. That should never have been one of your worries when it comes to teaching her firearms safety. Look at how well Jet Li takes care of business - lol
hmm, interesting. ive learned a lot of things about buddhism so far, but i didnt know that yet. but i know the purpose of the plate of food outside the house, and the inscense. she doesnt know how to explain the 3 sticks for going to the temple in english, but shes gonna look it up and let me know tomorrow!
Old 10-21-2009, 4:43 PM

Hi,
>So far, I think you're on the right track. If language is an issue, then the obvious - going slowly, being patient, showing everything by see/do rather than with words are all good paths to take. You might want to go with other couples to the range, or go to a ladies night when you know there will be ladies there, so she doesn't feel so out of place at a range that only has boys there.

Yes, don't push, but it doesn't hurt to have options, so just have those other options there for her in case she's curious.
Old 10-21-2009, 9:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG1980 View Post
Hi,
>So far, I think you're on the right track. If language is an issue, then the obvious - going slowly, being patient, showing everything by see/do rather than with words are all good paths to take. You might want to go with other couples to the range, or go to a ladies night when you know there will be ladies there, so she doesn't feel so out of place at a range that only has boys there.

Yes, don't push, but it doesn't hurt to have options, so just have those other options there for her in case she's curious.
thanks, her first trip was with another couple, i think it helped out a lot! we have lots of time, so... taking our... time... (hmm redundant) is not a problem.
Old 10-23-2009, 7:50 AM

There's also a lot of good info in this thread
Old 10-23-2009, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevensix2x51 View Post

thanks again, y'all.
In 2001, the Dalai Lama was interviewed, and made the following quote in regards to guns:
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Perhaps you might ask her what her thoughts and feelings are about that particular point of view from one of the world's foremost practitioners of the Buddhist philosophy.
Old 10-23-2009, 9:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Boy View Post
In 2001, the Dalai Lama was interviewed, and made the following quote in regards to guns:
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Perhaps you might ask her what her thoughts and feelings are about that particular point of view from one of the world's foremost practitioners of the Buddhist philosophy.
but that would be like me listening to the pope...
Old 10-24-2009, 8:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I would just ask her if she wants to go shooting again. if she does then take her shooting handguns. Just dont be that Ahole that gives a newbie 5 foot 100 LB girl a freaking 44 magnum to shoot. If I was a new shooter that would seriously put a stop to my liking guns. Especially if people started laughing at me. nobody likes to be made fun of
Old 10-24-2009, 1:35 PM

easing a newbie into shooting can be done many ways. With my younger sister who is 18 now I know I can be kind of a ***** to get her past the fear.
She shoots my 30-06, AR, and 12 guage comfortably because of this. Full power reloads in the 06 and slugs in the 12 guage worked wonders. Scope eye and a bruised shoulder made her learn to hold and shoot both guns correctly. She loves my AR, especially with a full 30rd magazine to go through. Not all girls are fragile and delicate regarless of how they act
Old 11-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

When my wife and I are shooting...I fear all the ammo that will be consumed by my wife. Its pricey......

She loves the AR....so thats why she got one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I didn't miss the bend-over-party every time a friend wanted to get in my back seat. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisO View Post
.......No not a Knights In Satans Service rifle lol.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

just wanted to bump this, after reading the "girls at the range" thread. she's now hitting bowling pins at 200yd 4.5/5 on average, with a .17hmr savage and a scope set at 6x! still doesnt want to shoot the big rifles, but im proud of her!! shes really having a good time too. thats the most important thing. she shot more than i did on our last trip to the local rod&gun...
Old 12-19-2009, 12:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hell, she doesn't need to shoot "big" rifles if she doesn't want to. Too bad you aren't closer to me. I've got several .410s and we could introduce her to the fine art of breaking clays with a little shotgun.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Hell, she doesn't need to shoot "big" rifles if she doesn't want to. Too bad you aren't closer to me. I've got several .410s and we could introduce her to the fine art of breaking clays with a little shotgun.
i dont think i could pry that savage out of her cold, dead fingers... she loves it! i think she may be due for a good quality 22 bolt gun for christmas... she needs more of a challenge, so i figure id show her the arc of the bullet, and its effect on poi at long range...
.410's would be really fun too! ive got a 20ga, but i think if i find a good deal on a 410 break action, i might be all over that too... my r&g club has trap machines that are free to use any day theyre not having an event..
ive got a good mind to get the both of us into an appleseed event in january, too....
Old 12-20-2009, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendkill View Post
When my wife and I are shooting...I fear all the ammo that will be consumed by my wife. Its pricey......

She loves the AR....so thats why she got one.
Hahah, that's funny. My gf is Thai (like the OP's), and I actually started her off on handguns because I thought that she'd like that better. She'll shoot my 9mm and .45 but she doesn't really enjoy it too much. It turns out she likes rifles better... she's shot my Savage .308, AK, and AR and she liked the AR so much that she had me build her one for Xmas (oh she already bought a 10/22 too). What got her hooked on shooting was my 10/22, and now she always wants to come with me shooting regardless of what we're shooting. Gonna have her shoot a .50 cal over Xmas weekend lol...

You can see the brass in the air as she's plinking away on her 10/22 here, we tacti-cooled it out just like she wanted...

Last edited by jdogg2000; 12-20-2009 at 10:03 AM..
Old 12-21-2009, 9:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

First thing you should probably do is sign her up for a Handgun Safety Certificate class, preferably at an indoor range where she could shoot a variety of pistols to see which ones she liked best.

She could end up like my wife, who started out with glocks & now loves her Kimber Custom II.
Old 03-15-2010, 8:20 PM
Veteran Member

I started 6, 17 yr old girls and 1 boy at the SJ 10th st range with a 22 semi auto pistol. Then moved to a 22 mag revolver. Then suprised them with 1 rnd in a kimber 45. I was really suprised when each one asked me if they could shoot the 45 again. Within an hour these girls were unloading 8 rnd mags and hitting black at 25 yds. with 230 gr LRN in a 1911. I hate to say that the boy wasn't as good a shot, and didn't have the ediquete of the girls, Had to remind him to keep the barrel level downrange and not up several times. The girls caught on right away.
Just let the lady shoot what she likes. Her curiosity will move her on to the big stuff soon enough.

The DOJ knows that two guys with semi autos that have a folding or collapsable stock, or pistol grip could take out California's entire police force, SWAT, and the National Guard. Jeeze, that pistol grip and stock are really dangerous...