Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-04-2009, 9:45 PM

Question Wolf .45ACP and Sig P220 mags

Gents, today I took my 220 to the range to check if cheapo Wolf 230gr would shoot. 50 rounds through it, all seems fine with firing, extraction etc... but I can't load more than 5 rounds per magazine (using Sig 8-round factory mags) - quite frankly, anything after the 3rd round was a struggle. Never had this happen with brass cased ammo.

Anyone else come across this with Wolf steel case ? I've used it in my AR's and AK's and never had a problem loading mags and mags full of the stuff - what gives ?

Thanks.

Jest tylko ziemia. Jedna ziemia i pory roku nad nią są.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-04-2009, 11:30 PM

It could be that the cartridges are too long. Under a lamp or flashlight, start loading rounds into the magazine and see if the cartridges are binding up against the magazine tube walls. If you have a set of calipers measure the length of the cartridges. When I was reloading and experimenting with seating depths of ammo I found that .45 ACP cartridges up to 1.2650" would load into the magazine fine, but any longer and the catridges would bind up in the magazine during loading (at the forward wall of the magazine tube).
Old 11-05-2009, 12:15 PM

Thanks. I came across a few reviews on CDT that seemed to have the same issue; I'll give Sig a shout and see what they say.

Jest tylko ziemia. Jedna ziemia i pory roku nad nią są.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-05-2009, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicymeat View Post
It could be that the cartridges are too long. Under a lamp or flashlight, start loading rounds into the magazine and see if the cartridges are binding up against the magazine tube walls. If you have a set of calipers measure the length of the cartridges. When I was reloading and experimenting with seating depths of ammo I found that .45 ACP cartridges up to 1.2650" would load into the magazine fine, but any longer and the catridges would bind up in the magazine during loading (at the forward wall of the magazine tube).
I agreed, for my Sig 220 mag, I have to make my reload OAL to 1.245" for flawless operation. WWB has OAL 1.27" will get in the mag but I have to push hard
Old 11-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

I had the same exact problem with my P220 Mags and Wolf .45ACP.

I thought it might be a mag issue, but it isnt. I tried in 3 different mags and you cant get more than 2-3 rounds in. The same rounds loaded fine in my 1911 mags though.