Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Does Windows 7 do DOS?

XP runs DOS based programs, Vista does not. Anyone know if Win7 will run DOS programs. I have some older radio programing software that needs DOS.

TIA
Old 11-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Banned

It should from what I hear.
Old 11-04-2009, 1:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Does anyone know where you can buy a DOS program. I need one to program some old commercial fire alarms
PM me if you do know or respond here
thanx
Rob
Old 11-04-2009, 1:10 PM
Calguns Addict

http://www.freedos.org/

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 11-04-2009, 1:14 PM
Veteran Member

I'll have my new Windows 7 PC tomorrow....If you want to send me a copy I'll tell you if it executes....
"Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."
Old 11-04-2009, 2:20 PM

Windows 7 has a compatibility mode to allow older programs written for an earlier versions of Windows to possibly run in Windows 7.
Old 11-04-2009, 3:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Looks like if you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate you can download from Microsoft a XP Virtual Machine and run your program in XP mode. Sort of Boot Camp on OSX.
Old 11-04-2009, 3:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Right. Sometimes the easiest and maybe more stable way for those not able or wanting to tweak these older apps is to just virtual up an XP OS and run it that way when you need to.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 11-04-2009, 4:36 PM

It should be noted that XP mode has some hefty requirements to work well, aside from A CPU that supports chip-level virtualization you also should really have a few extra GB of RAM installed.
Old 11-04-2009, 4:52 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx
Old 11-04-2009, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Looks like if you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate you can download from Microsoft a XP Virtual Machine and run your program in XP mode. Sort of Boot Camp on OSX.
Boot Camp requires that you partition the hard drive for each system. Then you can only boot one OS at a time. Is this the same thing?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:53 PM

I have a lot of experience with Windows XP virtual machines under Linux. I don't know if Windows 7 is doing quite the same thing but if it is, the entire XP system lives in a single file on the Win7 disk.

In my Linux system, the XP virtual machine lives in a file that maxes out at 15gig the way I set it up, and will grow to meet that as I load it up. I can add a second "virtual disk file" if needed, but I can also store data from within the virtual machine on the host machine's hard disk. From within the XP virtual machine, I have a drive letter created that points upwards into the host OS file system. That way, all the data I work with inside XP is actually on Linux disks and is available to Linux as well.

If the XP guest OS ever goes screwy in any way, I can throw it out as it's just a file, and reload that file from backups.

The guest OS needs a piece of software that tells it how to use the host system resources. Again, I suspect Win7 is similar, or at least, the XP machine you can download from MS has what Virtualbox calls "guest additions" built in.

You can get Virtualbox for free for Mac, Windows or Linux hosts here:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Note that a lot of Win7 systems are shipping as 64bit flavor, which means you need the "AMD64" variant at that page. Even if your CPU is from Intel, they licensed the 64bit stuff from AMD so it's properly called "AMD style 64bit".

I do know that Virtualbox has been in development for three years that I know of, so...it might be more stable than MS's virtual machine system.

Once you "build a virtual machine" (specifying resources like memory, etc.) you boot an OS into it from CD or an ISO file (a file equivelent to a CD in layout), load the guest OS, then install the guest additions for that OS. Guest addition software is available for XP, Win2000 if you want something with less resources, Linux and a few oddballs. Not DOS itself unfortunately, or Win98 which would be sweet for light needs and small memory footprints.

Once a VM guest is built, it can be transferred from host to host, even across OS types. In other words, I can set up a working XP system on my machine and then copy the data files it lives in (the main file plus descriptors) over to another computer running Virtualbox.
Old 11-05-2009, 6:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you have Windows 7 Professional or higher and have VM enabled on your CPU you can install XP Mode to run anything that will not run under 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-05-2009, 11:57 PM

Virtualbox doesn't need hardware virtualization features in the CPU. It helps, don't get me wrong, but it's not required.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JimMarch View Post
Virtualbox doesn't need hardware virtualization features in the CPU. It helps, don't get me wrong, but it's not required.
I believe hardware virtualization is required if you want to run XP apps on your windows 7 desktop instead of in a dedicated VM.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-06-2009, 9:14 AM

Windows 7 does not have a DOS Virtual Machine, as XP does.

But, if you have "XP Mode" installed on Windows 7 Ultimate or Professional, it will run DOS programs.

XP Mode is unavailable to any edition of Windows 7 below Professional, such as Home Premium.
Old 11-06-2009, 8:27 PM

Quote:
XP Mode is unavailable to any edition of Windows 7 below Professional, such as Home Premium.
Virtualbox to the rescue then, if you want to do VMs on "lesser" variants of Win7 (or Vista for that matter).
Old 11-06-2009, 9:01 PM

You could always try running a virtual machine. I use vmware player and Im running Windows Server 2003 on Vista Premium Home edition to study for my MCSE.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:58 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JimMarch View Post
Virtualbox to the rescue then, if you want to do VMs on "lesser" variants of Win7 (or Vista for that matter).
AFAIK, you can still run VirtualPC on those lesser versions of Win7. YOu just don't get the free licensed XP virtual machine (you need to use your own licensed copy of XP, no difference than XP in Virtualbox or other virtualization solution) and you don't have application virtualization to the Win7 desktop.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.