Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Default Need help finding my mom a pistol

hey ladies, Ive been trying to find my mom a good pistol for her. she dosent have a hell of alot of strength/grip in her hands and has trouble racking back the slide on my Glock and M9. With most .22s its no problem but she dosent want to rely her life on a .22.
anyone know from hands on experiance what could be an option? maybe even a .380?

thanks
Old 09-20-2009, 10:42 PM

Ever thought about a revolver in 38/357?
Old 09-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

not awhole lot but well have to try,prob a .38
thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Vendor/Retailer

My wife has the same problem due to carpel tunnel.
I bought her a Charter Arms undercover .38 snubby and she likes it alot. The only drawback is low capacity.
I also taught her to push the frame on the 1911 forward rather then pull the slide back. Have your mom try that to see if it is easier.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:31 AM

I purchased three pistols for my wife/daughter/mom to try out.

Walther ppk - .380 ACP
Sig 232 - .380 ACP
Smith & Wesson 36 - .38+P

The wife (think mean little Chinese gal) couldn't rack the ppk slide (hell I had problems).

The Smith kicked to much with standard loads.

The Sig was just right and you could leave it loaded because it was a double action.

If you get some Hornady .380 ACP self-defense loads they might not be one shot-stops but they'll do more damage. Just remember to save a few rounds for ballistic tests afterwards.

I've put the Walther up for sale. I'm keeping the Smith.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

alright well we got some renting to do
thanks again
Old 09-25-2009, 11:54 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

S&W Model 66 with .38 loads for her.

I prefer my 1911s, but that was the first gun I used at the range because it's a revolver. Simple and not a lot of moving parts.

Good luck with the shopping -- sounds like you'll have fun. It's sweet that you're looking out for your mom.

Now, if only my boys would get that idea... I can always use another .45!
Old 09-25-2009, 1:28 PM

I have a 38 taurus 5-shot revolver that's pretty easy to shoot... light enough, not too much kick. only 5 rounds, but hey, 5 properly placed 38s ought to be able to do the job for most things.

big advocate of renting and trying *many* different guns to find what fits. what fits me best is the glock .45 (full size 21), but it takes much more strength to manage than the taurus.

suggest you start with letting her hold the various things that are available for rent at your range and see what she likes the "feel" of before you decide what to trial shoot. if it doesn't feel comfortable to her unloaded, chances are she's not going to like shooting it.

her comfort level with the gun is what will have her practice and use it if needed. really important to get one she's happy handling and shooting.

megan
Old 10-11-2009, 9:03 PM

I know this may sound a bit backwards but I don't have a lot of forearm strength so I prefer a heavier gun to take the recoil.
I have a Ruger SP101 in .38/.357 that I am very comfortable shooting and Colt 1911 Combat Comander Enhanced in .45 ACP that is wonderful. I find that a single stack fits my hand better than a high capacity magazine pistol. I did have to change grips on both to get a better fit for be as I have fairly small hands. I did not like a Colt ..25; ditto a S&W .380; I found them both too punishing and not fun to shoot.
You didn't mention your mother's shooting experience but if it is limited, I think it is easier to manage the direct recoil vector of a revolver with limited experience and strength.
Cheers,
cs

Last edited by chiengoraspinner; 10-12-2009 at 8:14 AM.. Reason: Correct information
Old 10-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Have you thought about a Beretta Tomcat/3032? It has a tip up barrel for ease of loading the first round. It has a manual safety on the frame. She can thumb back the hammer and she's ready to defend herself. The Tomcat/3032 was made to feed the Winchester SilverTip JHP so (1) it's a good defense round, (2) recoil isn't punishing. The only issue I have with the Tomcat/3032 is the chubby grip and the location of the magazine release. But with any pistol: practice, practice, practice ... and practice some more.

Too bad you're in SoCal or I'd offer to let you test drive my Tomcat for a couple of weeks to see if she'd like it.

"You know the real difference between you and me?"
"Yeah. Denial."

Toys I'm looking for (PPT/used): Ruger P93 (compact), Thompson Contender receiver and barrels

Stuff for sale:
WTS Magpul X-22 Stock Formica Sample Case
Old 11-24-2009, 11:07 PM

I would say rent a few 1911 models to see if you can find one she can use. If money is no object Les Behr makes a nice 1911 that has a really easy slide to use. Kimber also makes a nice one. I have one arm that doesn't work well and found that I could pull a slide back on a Glock 17 pretty easy as well as a slide on a Sig P2022. I also had no problem with HK's. But rent a few and see what feels good for her to use. And worse case a 22 with decent ammo can do enough damage to give her a fighting chance.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:12 PM

9mm Makarov might work for her too...
Not very expensive, energy much like a .38spl snubby, reliable and easy to shoot well.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The Sig 232 is an awesome little gun. Of course, the smaller and lighter the gun, the more perceived recoil there will be. So, how about a 4"-6" heavier .38/.357? Maybe a 4" Ruger SP101 in .38/.357 or even .327?

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 11-27-2009, 1:08 PM

My mom's favorite is a large caliber wheelgun. Personally i love autos, but my mom loves here J frqame SW.