Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-14-2005, 1:22 PM
Veteran Member

There was a discussion here about this picture a little while back:

I went to Israel not long back for work, and here are some observations. It was a fascinating trip overall, and I felt pretty secure the whole time, but like most foreign countries, it made me glad I live where I do!

I posted this in a thread on rec.guns about foreign firearms ownership, where these links were also posted:

http://www.jpfo.org/israel-firearms.htm
http://www.jpfo.org/derfner-people.htm
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/Articles/Read.aspx?ID=72

I recently spent a week in Israel, and talked to my co-workers over there about guns. The info I got reflected the JPFO articles, though none of the people I talked to were gun owners, let alone gun nuts like me and a number of my American friends and co-workers. They were mostly mystified about why anyone would want to shoot for fun - it was like wanting to drive a tractor for fun.

They knew the basics about gun ownership, but no details, and the info I got varied a lot from person to person, just like you'd get from non-gun owners in the US. Nobody could tell me where you'd go to shoot - I was hoping they'd have a place where I could rent an M16, Uzi, Galil, whatever.

That said, there were soldiers and guns everywhere. Everyone joins the IDF (Army) at 18 - men for 3 years, women for 18 months (except the orthodox religious folks, who you'd think would have the most reason to want to join, but that's a different topic). Women are not typically assigned combat roles unless they request them, though I did see a good number of women with M16s.

[The women in the picture are obviously not in uniform, and I'm assuming they're stationed in the occupied territory, but on leave or something.]

Lots of the soldiers carry their M16s all the time. Anyone stationed in the occupied territories is required to keep their M16 with them, even when elsewhere, so I'd see groups of uniformed teenagers at the bus stops, malls, and McDonalds with M16s.

[One effect of this is that nobody seemed concerned about people walking around with guns. Nobody gave them a second glance except me, and I had to try hard not to stare, especially at the cute teen girls with M16s... Lots of people hitchhike over there, and you'd see soldiers with M16s getting picked up hitchhiking all the time. Try that in the USA!]

99% of the guns I saw were M16s (with a few M4s sprinkled in). Most magazines were in an adapter inserted in the mag well that held the magazine at right angles, ready to be rotated and inserted [like the middle woman in the picture], but some had them on their belts. I only saw live mags inserted at places like the Wailing Wall and other hot spots, and the soldiers with these were older and more experienced looking, in different uniforms.

Aside from that, I saw a mini Uzi at a checkpoint into the Arab Quarter in Jerusalem, and most hotels and many restaurants had armed guards at the door who carried pistols. The few I got a good look at appeared to be a Browning HP and a CZ-75.

I never did see find a gun shop, and my hopes of getting a cheap upper to bring home were dashed. I'd have had a hard time with airport security anyway, I'm sure...

One more comment beyond the rec.guns posting:
One of my co-workers carried a Galil while in the IDF, and he liked the M16 a lot more, mostly because of weight. He figured his Galil weighed 12 pounds with mag and whatever gear he had on it.

I'm sure there are gun nuts (or firearm enthusiasts, if you prefer) over there, but I didn't meet any.

max

NRA Life Member
Old 04-14-2005, 5:19 PM

Now those are my kinda girls..
Old 04-17-2005, 8:29 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ducati748r:
Fix the pics?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still coming up as red <span class="ev_code_RED">x's</span> but if you do a right click - view image - they come out fine
Old 04-16-2005, 8:59 PM

Old 04-16-2005, 9:36 PM

Old 04-20-2005, 3:56 PM

Yea if there more lovely ladies like this in the military when I was in I might have been a lifer.. I remember once when I had dropped off my car to get a tune up I was speaking with one of the mechanics and the subject of traveling around the world came up. He had been to Israel and he said he had a blast (no pun intended). He said (if I remember correctly) Televiv was a serious party town..night clubs and beautiful women all around. I thought to myself - nightclubs + beautiful women + guns = fun, fun, fun. makes me want to take a trip down there just to check it out.
Old 04-22-2005, 7:28 PM

I guess some of you haven't seen pics of fine looking American babes serving in Iraq now.

PM me for adult only link. (Must be over 18 to view it.)
Old 04-16-2005, 11:10 PM

Fix the pics??
Old 04-17-2005, 11:31 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xsquid:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ducati748r:
Fix the pics?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still coming up as red <span class="ev_code_RED">x's</span> but if you do a right click - view image - they come out fine </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm...what browser are you running? IE or Firefox? Might wanna check and see if your browser has all the latest updates.
Old 04-15-2005, 8:21 PM
Veteran Member

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Turbinator:
Nice post, thanks for educating us. So did you get to pick up on any girls or women over there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh! Nope, happily and monogamously married for many years now (me love her looong time!), so I'm just looking at the menu.

Lots of beautiful, strong young women in uniform with weapons, though, which would be quite a temptation if you swung that way.

After a few days, I noticed that they were bold about meeting your eyes, but they never smiled when they did it. Kind'a like the women in the picture; that's not a "Hey, check this cute guy" look, it's more of a "Is this something we need to respond to?" look...

Definitely a different cultural environment. Fascinating, like all foreign lands.

max

NRA Life Member
Old 04-17-2005, 11:49 AM

Some more IDF girls (with M16s)
Old 04-17-2005, 9:36 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dwtt:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DingChavez:
pictures of IDF women off duty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, if the Marine Corps issued cute WM's tight T-shirts and pants like the IDF seems to, more of us might have became lifers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen to that..
Old 04-17-2005, 8:06 PM

The link that Chavez posted is the one that the "red x" pics are from...there are a few cute ones in there
Old 04-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Fix the pics, fix the pics!! I wanna see!!

Turby
Old 04-20-2005, 2:48 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the great pics, I see a couple of girls there I would not mind serving with! This topic made me laugh because I remeber a roommate I used to have while in the military.

He had actually been to Israel and had managed to hook up with one of the females there. He said it was kind of unnerving being in a girls room while her Uzi was leaning up against the wall!
.45acp .45LC 6.5Carcano 7.7Japanese 7.62x54r 6.5Swede,6.5x54r
.30-40Krag 7.5French 8x57Mauser .223Rem 7.62x39 .410bore .30-30
20ga 12ga .303British 8x56r 7.5x55Swiss .30-06...
Old 04-16-2005, 2:21 PM

Like I said..my kinda girls...
Old 04-16-2005, 9:26 PM

Hold on now Ding..where are the M-16's? These beautiful girls gotta pose with some personal firepower..
Old 04-14-2005, 4:16 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Nice post, thanks for educating us. So did you get to pick up on any girls or women over there?

Turby
Old 04-15-2005, 8:32 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by maxicon:
After a few days, I noticed that they were bold about meeting your eyes, but they never smiled when they did it. Kind'a like the women in the picture; that's not a "Hey, check this cute guy" look, it's more of a "Is this something we need to respond to?" look...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hot. Frickin' hot man. I love it.
Bad-*** women are my thing.

http://www.schizrade.com -- my rantings.
Old 04-16-2005, 4:02 PM

my Israeli buddy was on a 2 year work assignment here in Santa Clara when I first met him. Cool guy, took him to the range a few times & he mentioned he still had his issue 92FS from his service days & that he carried it on occasion back home, but not too much because it was just to big and heavy.

I asked what he thought of the U.S.
He loved it! He was depressed for a couple days when he found out his favorite bar/club back home got bombed. Any how... I got him hooked on Hockey & he got himself hooked on snow boarding! he brought them back with him to find the 1 ski-resort is a bit lacking! & they only have 1 ice rink in all of Israel. The Ice rink is dominated by all the re-located Russians so he doesn't get to play much.
Old 04-17-2005, 8:54 PM
Calguns Addict

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DingChavez:
pictures of IDF women off duty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, if the Marine Corps issued cute WM's tight T-shirts and pants like the IDF seems to, more of us might have became lifers.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

One of my friends here in the Bay Area was an UZI and RPG trainer while in the IDF. Now she's more "americanized" and is more worried about getting fat and breaking her nail. Says something to me about our "wussie" state of mind.

I remember telling her I like to shoot 50 cals, she said she wasn't impressed and shot bigger guns in Israel. Too bad I'm a happily married man as she was a hottie.
Old 04-14-2005, 1:22 PM
Veteran Member

There was a discussion here about this picture a little while back:

I went to Israel not long back for work, and here are some observations. It was a fascinating trip overall, and I felt pretty secure the whole time, but like most foreign countries, it made me glad I live where I do!

I posted this in a thread on rec.guns about foreign firearms ownership, where these links were also posted:

http://www.jpfo.org/israel-firearms.htm
http://www.jpfo.org/derfner-people.htm
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/Articles/Read.aspx?ID=72

I recently spent a week in Israel, and talked to my co-workers over there about guns. The info I got reflected the JPFO articles, though none of the people I talked to were gun owners, let alone gun nuts like me and a number of my American friends and co-workers. They were mostly mystified about why anyone would want to shoot for fun - it was like wanting to drive a tractor for fun.

They knew the basics about gun ownership, but no details, and the info I got varied a lot from person to person, just like you'd get from non-gun owners in the US. Nobody could tell me where you'd go to shoot - I was hoping they'd have a place where I could rent an M16, Uzi, Galil, whatever.

That said, there were soldiers and guns everywhere. Everyone joins the IDF (Army) at 18 - men for 3 years, women for 18 months (except the orthodox religious folks, who you'd think would have the most reason to want to join, but that's a different topic). Women are not typically assigned combat roles unless they request them, though I did see a good number of women with M16s.

[The women in the picture are obviously not in uniform, and I'm assuming they're stationed in the occupied territory, but on leave or something.]

Lots of the soldiers carry their M16s all the time. Anyone stationed in the occupied territories is required to keep their M16 with them, even when elsewhere, so I'd see groups of uniformed teenagers at the bus stops, malls, and McDonalds with M16s.

[One effect of this is that nobody seemed concerned about people walking around with guns. Nobody gave them a second glance except me, and I had to try hard not to stare, especially at the cute teen girls with M16s... Lots of people hitchhike over there, and you'd see soldiers with M16s getting picked up hitchhiking all the time. Try that in the USA!]

99% of the guns I saw were M16s (with a few M4s sprinkled in). Most magazines were in an adapter inserted in the mag well that held the magazine at right angles, ready to be rotated and inserted [like the middle woman in the picture], but some had them on their belts. I only saw live mags inserted at places like the Wailing Wall and other hot spots, and the soldiers with these were older and more experienced looking, in different uniforms.

Aside from that, I saw a mini Uzi at a checkpoint into the Arab Quarter in Jerusalem, and most hotels and many restaurants had armed guards at the door who carried pistols. The few I got a good look at appeared to be a Browning HP and a CZ-75.

I never did see find a gun shop, and my hopes of getting a cheap upper to bring home were dashed. I'd have had a hard time with airport security anyway, I'm sure...

One more comment beyond the rec.guns posting:
One of my co-workers carried a Galil while in the IDF, and he liked the M16 a lot more, mostly because of weight. He figured his Galil weighed 12 pounds with mag and whatever gear he had on it.

I'm sure there are gun nuts (or firearm enthusiasts, if you prefer) over there, but I didn't meet any.

max

NRA Life Member
Old 04-15-2005, 9:53 PM

Good observation. I've lived and grew up overseas where terrorist activities are common and cops carry subguns or full auto rifles openly on the street corner.

We have our share of gang violence and crimes, but I think this country is relatively safe and peaceful. You just have to know which areas to avoid. You don't have to worry about bombs going off in public like in Israel. You also don't have to look at others as if they are suicide bombers.

Over there in Israel, people own guns for national security and law & order. Here in the States, we own guns for target shooting, hunting, and personal defense. Maybe that's why they don't share the enthusiasm for guns like we do.