Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Banned

Default How far do you guys zero in your shotguns at?

How far do you guys zero in your shotguns at? I have a new holo sight and a mossberg 590. I'd think like 25yards or so would be good but if I'm using my shotgun for home defence mainly, well i dont have 25 yards in my house, the farthest distance is like 5-8 yards just about.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccvets View Post
How far do you guys zero in your shotguns at? I have a new holo sight and a mossberg 590. I'd think like 25yards or so would be good but if I'm using my shotgun for home defence mainly, well i dont have 25 yards in my house, the farthest distance is like 5-8 yards just about.
That should be fine with mine I was 0 at 50 yards with slugs

PUREMMA
MIXED MARTIAL ARTS ACADEMY
Old 10-21-2009, 11:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccvets View Post
well i dont have 25 yards in my house, the farthest distance is like 5-8 yards just about.
Agreed. My condo is about 40ft front to back, and I was debating homing the laser at long range or a little closer.
I ended up setting it for 20ft. At knife-point range, POI would be about 2" above the dot, and from the front door to the back door, POI would be about 2" below the dot.

I may readjust it for 40ft and see how high it would be at close range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 10-22-2009, 9:34 AM
Calguns Addict

If you are shooting slugs in the field, such as for hunting, I'd zero at 50 yards.

HD only I would zero at no more than 15 or so.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 10-22-2009, 6:54 PM
Veteran Member

I zero my defensive shotguns at 25 yards with 00 buck.

"Wherever I Walk,
Everyone Is a Little Bit Safer Because I Am There.

Wherever I Am,
Anyone In Need Has a Friend.

Whenever I Return Home,
Everyone Is Happy I Am There."
- "The Warrior Creed" ~ Robert L. Humphrey
Old 10-22-2009, 7:33 PM

I'm hardly old, but something about zeroing a defensive shotgun rings funny to me. So, you're meaning to tell me y'all have adjustable sights? Or are thes frame mounted optics?

Shotguns with little more than a bead front have been fielded for generations effectively (as Milirtay,PD weapons including hunting).

Just saying.

If I pull the trigger, and I'm covering anything with my bead, it's gonna be hit, right? I'm talking about OO buckshot, btw.

Last edited by pTa; 10-22-2009 at 7:36 PM.. Reason: OFlave beat me to it; point and shoot FTW
Old 10-22-2009, 8:59 PM
Calguns Supreme Overlord
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Go to the skeet range and play a few rounds. Once youre good with your shotgun its zero'd wherever you want it.

"I don't like repeat offenders. I like dead offenders."
-Ted Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOELKY View Post
Well, glad you got the kit anyways, I'm sure I'll fondle it a little in the near future..... oh God, that's going to be in somebody's signature....:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOELKY View Post
put me in line, but if Peter W. Bush takes it, I need to be removed from his Signature line.......:D
Old 10-22-2009, 9:00 PM

50 yards with slugs

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOA LIFE MEMBER
JPFO LIFE MEMBER
CRPA LIFE MEMBER
FRONT SIGHT PRESIDENT MEMBERSHIP
*disclaimer - all posts are for entertainment purposes only. any likeness to actual persons, places or events is purely coincidental.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:14 PM

the length of my hallway which is about 10-15 ft

AR's gone through it's final evolution...for now: Precision rig & close encounters
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=460

shuttlecock
Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 PM

I zeroed my 870 with ghost ring sights at 25 yards with slugs
Old 10-22-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pTa View Post
I'm hardly old, but something about zeroing a defensive shotgun rings funny to me.
Yes, this is funny stuff. I can land a slug just fine at 25 yards with a bead. There's no need to "sight in" defensive guns, provided they aren't defective. At indoor distances (distances that won't get you prosecuted btw) accuracy just doesn't matter that much.

Also I kind of doubt that the POI of a slug is necessarily the center of your shot pattern at the same distance. Unless you're using slugs for HD I don't see the point.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Banned

ya gotta aim with slugs; even with buck shot, you can't just aim in the general area and think that the bullets will open up and destory everything in the entire hallway. I think buckshot opens up to about 2-3 inchs at 7 yards.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:26 AM
In Memoriam

I haven't found the need for sites on my shotgun even making 80 yard slug shots. Maybe I should try them.

What's the longest shot you have in your house? Zero for that. Chances are real good anything closer will still have the same POI.

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

Last edited by randy; 10-23-2009 at 12:31 AM..
Old 10-23-2009, 4:38 AM

1. Take the ghost rings off of your gun and take a good self defense course based on the shotgun. Some of the best tactical shotgun shooters / instrutors in the nation use beat to heck, stripped down old wingmasters. Most of them have been doing it for 20+ years just fine and have "been there, done that". If you don't want to take the class, buy a book. There are several out there that can go over the issues at hand.

2. If you must have ghost rings on your shotgun what are you "zeroing" in the first place? 00 buck? Slugs? They will have distinctly different POI's at whatever distance you are zeroing for anyway. If you are using the gun for self defense in your home I HIGHLY sugest you avoid slugs unless you live in a very rural area. Colateral liability is high with slugs in most urban dwellings.
Old 10-23-2009, 7:46 AM

If you are going to use buckshot, you need to pattern your load, not zero it. Each shotgun is different and finding which load works best in your gun is key.
Old 10-23-2009, 7:56 AM
Veteran Member

zero in a shotgun, never thought of it. I just use a bead and it works effectively for 50 yards, but then again its a SD shotgun so i only really need it for close range
Originally Posted by forumguy View Post
The same way they enforce all the rest of the BS laws. Only criminals are exempt, while the honest obey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Sometimes I think the function of Calguns is half to refute bad info from gunshops and half to refute bad info from DOJ.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Calguns Addict

For a home defense shotgun, a 25-50 yard zero with slugs is just fine. Although using slugs for home defense isn't all that useful. Unless, of course, you are worried about zombies and the other undead... If you plan on hunting, look at a 100 yard zero with slugs. If you use a 50 yard zero, and are shooting at a deer out at 75-100 yards, your POI will be about 4-6" low. Truthfully, if this is strictly a HD gun, you won't really need fancy sights. I have regular rifle sights on mine, but a plain old bead would do just as well. The key thing is practicing. Get the cheap buckshot at wallyworld, and the cheap trap loads, and get to the range and practice. Work on loading drills, shooting drills, bringing the gun into battery, the works. If you are going to use this to protect hearth and home, you better know how to use it. And you need to get in enough trigger time to know how it patterns and how everything else works on it instictively. You can pick up a 100 round box of shells for around $20. You should be going through that many in a week with training. The buckshot is a bit more, but you should also practice with that as well occassionally. And look at getting a book or taking a class on shotguns as well. They are one of the greatest self defense tools ever. But you need to know how to use them properly to get the most out of them.

-Mb
Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 AM

I set my peep for 50 yd for slugs and this setting seems to allow both slugs and 00 to be dead on at 25. Out of the box, my 590 printed about 6" low at 25yd and required most of the elevation of the peep to get POA = POI at 50 yd.

Last edited by M1A Rifleman; 10-23-2009 at 11:47 AM..
Old 10-23-2009, 11:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalFlavor View Post
For home defense I'll stick with my simple bead sight.

Do you really think your are going to have time to "aim" your shotgun in a high stress home invasion type situation? I don't think so. If you hear an intruder breaking and entering. You are most likely going to come out with your shotgun shouldered and the instant you see the target your are going to point and shoot. No time to aim.

"Point shooting is a method of shooting a firearm that relies on a shooter's instinctive reactions and kinematics to quickly engage close targets. This method of shooting is used in dynamic situations when there is no time to use a gunsight or in low light conditions."

+1, I think laser sights are great for home defense also. Makes shooting simple in a high street situation i would assume.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombinghamthegreat View Post
zero in a shotgun, never thought of it. I just use a bead and it works effectively for 50 yards, but then again its a SD shotgun so i only really need it for close range
My Saiga is pretty much dead on at 50yrds with federal slugs. I can easily hit canteloup at that range just using the bead sight. But the spread at that distance using federal #7 1/2 was crappy.