Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-12-2005, 1:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Hi all,

Just got my C&R in the mail today (almost a 3 month wait). I'm excited of course.

I called a local shop which has a smattering of military surplus offerings among their used guns. They proceeded to inform me that in order to purchase from a business within California I am also required to have a Certificate of Eligibility? Is that correct? If anyone can cite a statute that would be ideal.

Here are some questions...

1.) Is a COE required to purchase from a California dealer?

2.) Is a COE required to purchase from an out of state dealer (having weapons sent to you)?

3.) Under what circumstances (if any) are you required to complete the yellow form and pay DROS? (buying from a local dealer, person to person?)

Thanks
Old 05-13-2005, 11:49 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If the COE means you can skip the DROS, then yes, it would be completely worth it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does not allow that.

It does allow you to buy more than one handgun in a 30 day period. But that, like everything else associated with a C&R/COE combo all hinges on whether or not your FFL is willing to do it.

--Ronaldus Maximus
Old 05-12-2005, 2:16 PM

Tony, you will find this link very valuable for buying rifles over 50 years old "outside of Ca":

http://p077.ezboard.com/fparallaxscu...opicID=2.topic

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony:
I called two gun stores this afternoon and was informed by both that in order to use my C&R in their stores I would also need a Certificate of Eligibility. Are they misinformed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A C&R doesn't do that much for you in state. All those "law/rules" in those books you got when you got your 03, the 01 FFL has to follow all of them! The FFL's you called are correct.
Old 05-12-2005, 3:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks guys and thanks for the link.

If buying from a store here requires a COE I may just pass. Seems like a pain to get.

If I am ordering c&R rifles from out of state I can just have them shipped to me? Yes? No COE or weirdness?

What about a person to person transfer here in CA? Are we required to go to a shop and DROS? am I required to have a COE? Or can we just trade C&Rs and do our business?
Old 05-12-2005, 3:26 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony:
Thanks guys and thanks for the link.

If buying from a store here requires a COE I may just pass. Seems like a pain to get.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> That's why I don't have mine yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
If I am ordering c&R rifles from out of state I can just have them shipped to me? Yes? No COE or weirdness? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Yes & correct

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
What about a person to person transfer here in CA? Are we required to go to a shop and DROS? am I required to have a COE? Or can we just trade C&Rs and do our business? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
person to person on a 50 year old C&R rifle/long gun doesn't even need a C&R, all can be done person to person with no FFL or fees.
There are still laws to the rules... "as long as the person is not prohibed from owning and is of legal age and such.

Tony, read those 1000000 page books they sent you again!!!

oh yeah... the word "business" and C&R shouldn't be mentioned in the same thread

03's, we are collectors... we can collect, trade, purchase and such from each other for "our collections", but we cannot make a living of it.

I think the best benifit of buying local is having our 03 & a COE bypass 1 handgun(any) per 30 days & 10 day wait on C&R's.
Old 05-12-2005, 2:00 PM
Calguns Addict

I called two gun stores this afternoon and was informed by both that in order to use my C&R in their stores I would also need a Certificate of Eligibility. Are they misinformed?
Old 05-13-2005, 11:39 AM

The COE is a total waste of money in terms of C&R purchases from an instate dealer. If the COE means you can skip the DROS, then yes, it would be completely worth it. Skipping the 10-day wait means little to nothing.
Old 05-12-2005, 4:48 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

One other thing I either missed or nobody mentioned yet - when using the C&R for out-of-state purchases it only applies to long-guns and they still have to be over 50 years old. No buying Russian Makarov's and Nagant pistols, no Yugo SKS's, etc. All those still have to be sent via 01 FFL for DROS.

John
Old 05-12-2005, 1:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Hi all,

Just got my C&R in the mail today (almost a 3 month wait). I'm excited of course.

I called a local shop which has a smattering of military surplus offerings among their used guns. They proceeded to inform me that in order to purchase from a business within California I am also required to have a Certificate of Eligibility? Is that correct? If anyone can cite a statute that would be ideal.

Here are some questions...

1.) Is a COE required to purchase from a California dealer?

2.) Is a COE required to purchase from an out of state dealer (having weapons sent to you)?

3.) Under what circumstances (if any) are you required to complete the yellow form and pay DROS? (buying from a local dealer, person to person?)

Thanks
Old 05-12-2005, 5:46 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I called two gun stores this afternoon and was informed by both that in order to use my C&R in their stores I would also need a Certificate of Eligibility. Are they misinformed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was a little unclear I guess. I meant you buy a C&R and go the process just like anybody else if you don't have a C&R. To get any benifit from your C&R you would also need a COE when buying from a CA 01 FFL.

--Ronaldus Maximus
Old 05-12-2005, 1:34 PM

1. No, you can purchase a C&R like a normal gun transaction if you wish. If you also have a COE you can walk out with it that day, but you still need to DROS it.

2. No

3. Whenever you buy from a CA 01 FFL.

Read EOD Guys's piece on C&R's in CA. It's the best summery of CA's C&R rules floating around the web.

--Ronaldus Maximus