Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-18-2005, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

First off hello everyone I'm new to this forum and look foward to chatting more stuff thats important to us. Well, there has been an assembly bill proposed that would repeal the assault weapons ban. Here is the link. It has just recently been printed and it might be heard today if not already. SUPPORT the people who introduced this bill and contact your representatives and everyone else. Make your voice be heard and will not lose!

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/a...ntroduced.html

I will vote for a donkey-sex maniac if he's pro-gun.
-BWiese
Old 02-19-2005, 11:28 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mike Searson </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good points, all, but we also need to avoid the term "gun" as the term "firearm" is less inflammatory. The opposition uses such terms as "gunman" etc to inflame the debate. take that away from them as well.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old 02-27-2005, 2:39 PM

Not too long ago, someone posted something about the failure of CADOJ to submit required reports that determined that the ban(s) on so-called "assault weapons" were effectively reducing crime (or something to that effect). Wasn't that here on CalGuns (I read a lot on the net, so I lose track sometimes)???

IMO, I think this would be a great opportunity to make that fact (if it's true) VERY public and should be included in all the correspondence to the Public Safety Committee.
Old 02-18-2005, 9:53 PM
Calguns Addict

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Para.com:
I wonder if Tom McClintock can help get this in the media, since hes running for Lt Gov. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. My first thought is, we don't really want this "in the media". People think "assault rifle" and immediately believe "Oh, yes, they should be banned". But, if this bill does pass through committee, it will be in the media, guaranteed... the Brady Bunch will be trumpeting all over the place. And, of course, the unbiased, impartial media will be right there to give a fair look at the whole thing...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Im contacting my rep although hes a pinko </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the "pinkos" we need to go after most of all! We need to swamp them with letters and calls. We need to show them that we're out here, and that their few loud, shrill ultra-liberal constituents are the minority.

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-18-2005, 8:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Someone on CA_Firearms brought up a good point. We need to put together a list of "talking points" with support... things like the FBI stat that said "assault rifles" are used in less than 2% of "firearms crime", people using "assault rifles" to defend their families, like the '92 LA riots, etc. Links to web sites or other citable sources are good.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-18-2005, 8:44 PM

Let's all jump on this one! Get everyone you know involved. Those of you who know how to solicit your politicians give instructions to those that have never done so. There is no excuse for everyone on this board not to get involved.

This is OUR chance!
Old 02-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm glad everyone is pitching in, we should try to help pass the bill using all we can do. Also I would suggest we don't use too much information which might be in conflict with commitee. In other words, no stuff from the NRA or something like that, because it would just make them turn their heads. Let's also be more justified in why we want this bill pass. Simply saying "I want a assault rifle" won't be suficient evidence for them. Again they will just turn their heads. I think someone made a good point then, appeal to their emotions like they have done to the rest of the population, also using the statistics from the F.B.I. or U.S. DOJ is a good idea. I'll be writing a letter to my representative as well.

-BWiese
Old 02-28-2005, 11:03 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jnojr:
I had asked him how to do a PRAR. f I knew, I'd go ahead and file one myself. But Googling didn't help me... I found lots of PRARs filed by various groups, and some of those results, but nothing about "Here's how to write a legally valid PRAR". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From his own site -

Link

You're right, it's kind of vague.

Ooops! A better link.
Old 03-18-2005, 9:51 AM
Calguns Addict

UPPPDATE! It looks like the hearing date is set. It is set up for 04/05/2005! I do not know very much about how hearings go, but is it accessible to the public? If it is, it would be great if like a couple thousand people showed up. (I know I'm being sarcastic)

-BWiese
Old 02-18-2005, 8:49 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I wonder if Tom McClintock can help get this in the media, since hes running for Lt Gov.

Im contacting my rep although hes a pinko

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 02-20-2005, 6:16 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jnojr:
Someone on CA_Firearms brought up a good point. We need to put together a list of "talking points" with support... things like the FBI stat that said "assault rifles" are used in less than 2% of "firearms crime", people using "assault rifles" to defend their families, like the '92 LA riots, etc. Links to web sites or other citable sources are good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this is a very good idea. If we could centeralize all the facts in one thread is would be easier for us to use for resources, when writting letters to our representitives.
also if we can debunk or dispell all the false information that the gun grabbers have spewed out, we might have a chance.
In this case the pen is mightier than the sword, and if we, as a whole can put their emotions at ease, I believe that we could conceivably make this happen.
The gun grabbers have been using this ( appealing to their emotions) to their advantage for many years. Why shouldn't we do the samething? Appeal to their emotions and back it up with facts.
We have for so many years been trying to appeal to these people by just using facts, but most of these representitives are driven by their emotions and the emotions of the leftist. We need to educate these people and alieveate their fears (emotions) in order to get them to listen to reason.
This is a very important opportunity, that we can't let get away. Mr La Sure is going to bring this to vote. It is our duty to help this man to help us. We need to draft very well written letters to our representitivies in support of this bill, and convince our representivites emotionally that this is a good thing.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin
Old 02-18-2005, 6:04 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Searson:
Holy Crap!

We need to call our reps and urge them to have this bill passed!

I also encourage everyone to remember the man who introduced it and to help contribute to his reelection campaign in the future!

Thank you for the link!
It makes me proud to be an American! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://republican.assembly.ca.gov/me...SurveyTitleID=

that's the MAN!

Assemblyman Jay LaSuer
Assembly District 77

Proudly Serving: El Cajon, La Mesa, Santee, San Diego

so you san diego-eans (HUH?), get on the ball and contact this dude!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2005, 1:08 AM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Messages sent, now to send this to all my hunting buddies.
Old 02-18-2005, 6:56 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leo d.:
Proudly Serving: El Cajon, La Mesa, Santee, San Diego

so you san diego-eans (HUH?), get on the ball and contact this dude!!!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, don't get left out of the fun just because you're in 37 33 0, -122 3 0.
Everyone should hop on the ball for this, regardless if they're in District 77 or not.

Edited to add:
Oh, and the term is "San Diegan". Don't forget it.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:52 AM

Here's the letter as I wrote it to my Assemblyman.
Please, do not cut and paste it into your own letters.
If they see 50 letters written similarly we'll lose credibility as a letter factory and pawn of the dreaded gun lobby.
If you want to include it with the flyer to drum up support, I don't mind:

Dear Sir,

I am urging you to support AB 448 to repeal the State's Ban on So Called assault Weapons.

The State's So Called Assault Weapon Ban is illegal and unconstituional and needs to be repealed.

I am outraged that I live in a State where I own 2 houses, 6 acres of land, 3 vehicles,(well over $1 million in assets which I am taxed on in addition to my income); a State where I've never had so much as a parking ticket and yet I am not trusted to own a rifle that is merely the civilian version of what I carried as a Marine to defend this Country. A rifle perfectly legal in 49 other states, but out here is outlawed and banned solely on it's appearance.

California's so-called assault rifles are not the equivalent of what the military uses. These rifles merely look like the military versions and these civilian versions are used in competition, hunting, by law enforcement, and in self defense. They are not suited for crime any more than typical hunting rifles and shotguns are. Because they may "look aggressive" does not mean law abiding citizens should not be allowed to own them.

According to the FBI and DOJ Statistics they are used in a small percentage of crimes. I am in favor of the strictest penalties for criminals who use firearms, but simply owning a firearm should not make anyone a criminal because a few lawmakers choose to ignore the real pronlems or are intimidated by how something looks.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to read my letter, I hope I can count on you to support this bill to repeal an unjust law which has done nothing to curb crime and everything to demonize law-abiding citizens.

Sincerely
Mike Searson
Old 02-28-2005, 9:59 AM
Calguns Addict

I mentioned that issue to Jim March, and he said (middle of December IIRC) that he'd hit them with a PRAR. Nobody has heard from Jim since... :-(

I had asked him how to do a PRAR. f I knew, I'd go ahead and file one myself. But Googling didn't help me... I found lots of PRARs filed by various groups, and some of those results, but nothing about "Here's how to write a legally valid PRAR".

Old 02-18-2005, 6:03 PM

i never thought i'd live to see something like this.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Small update: I just contacted Assemblyman LaSuers' offices. This Bill will be heard in the Public Safety Committee sometime after March 18th... bills cannot be heard in committee for 30 days after their introduction. We'll know when it's actually scheduled to be heard from the Status link at:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/po...author=la_suer

Old 03-01-2005, 9:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks, Basura. That'll take some editing, and i'm short on time right now... tons of work at work, school afterwards, more work in the evenings and weekends, all while I'm trying to fill out a background statement for the Sheriffs Department If anyone else is up to hacking up that form to apply to AWB data, I'd be happy to help look it over. I am thinking it would be better to get that sent off sooner rather than later, as it's possible AB 448 might be scheduled to be heard soon after March 18th.

Old 02-20-2005, 12:49 PM

Thanks Mike, for the wonderful letter. I am changing it a bit to match my family. Thanks!
Carlos
Old 02-25-2005, 2:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I got the threads about this on The High Road and AR15.com stickied... hopefully that'll help us get some more letters sent!

Old 02-19-2005, 8:53 AM
Calguns Addict

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shooterx10:
Please alert all the gun clubs (that you are a member of, if not then join!) about this bill so they can spread the word in the general meetings and club newsletters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dug up email addresses for most gun stores and shooting ranges I could find in San Diego and sent a "heads-up" email. Once we have a little more solid info, I want to create some kind of info sheet that I can print out, and I'll take stacks to each and speak with the people there. I urge others to do the same in other cities/counties! Especially in the districts of those who will want to vote against this bill.

Old 02-24-2005, 2:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Here's an excellent letter from CA-Firearms:

http://www.cpetro.us/letter_to_psc.html

Old 03-05-2005, 1:58 AM

i thought i would ad some other things that people could put in their letters, one that an incredible amount of violent crime is prevented by firearms, burglars etc., and all banning guns does is stop more guns from being bought, thus keeping the law-abiding public less armed. and also criminals dont buy guns they STEAL them, that way it costs them nothing and can not be traced back to them if caught with it or if gun is found. and finally gun bans have no direct effect, on the number of guns out there on the streets, the anti-gun politicians are just sucking up to the extreme left when they support gun bans, they know gun bans dont lower shooting deaths, and of course they love to blur the line between semi and fully automatic, believe me there is a huge differance between 40 rnds a minute and 650 semi vs. cyclic rate of full auto. not to mention when quoting gun deaths statistics they do not differentiate between some scum bag criminal killing somone with a gun and a law-abiding person defending his home with a gun. anyway just some thoughts
Old 02-28-2005, 10:05 PM

I live in berkeley
Old 02-19-2005, 12:24 AM

Please alert all the gun clubs (that you are a member of, if not then join!) about this bill so they can spread the word in the general meetings and club newsletters.

News about this going like wildfire on the other firearms forums. KEEP IT UP!

Contact the NRA Members Councils, CRPA, and GOA of CA!
Old 02-18-2005, 4:52 PM

Holy Crap!

We need to call our reps and urge them to have this bill passed!

I also encourage everyone to remember the man who introduced it and to help contribute to his reelection campaign in the future!

Thank you for the link!
It makes me proud to be an American!
Old 02-18-2005, 4:03 PM
Calguns Addict

It'll probably die in committee But there's no reason why we can't jump all over this! We need to absolutely bombard the committee members (Public Safety, probably) with letters, emails, faxes, and calls.

We need to find out what and when the next step is.

Old 02-18-2005, 8:23 PM

The important thing is to remember is that they should be referred to as "so called assault weapons" or "military look-alike rifles".

Use the word "weapon" as little as possible. Use "rifle" whenever you can. Point out that these rifles are perfectly legal in 49 other states and while they might resemble military arms, they do not function in the same way.

They are used in DCM Matches, Varmint hunting, 3-gun events, and the vast majority end up as "Safe Queens".

Our enemy uses inflammatory rhetoric and outright lies. We must be ready to hit them with the truth.
Some good links:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/ascii/fuo.txt

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/ascii/guic.txt

http://home.comcast.net/~guy.smith2/AWBrief.pdf

I wrote my assemblyman and urged him to support this bill. I cited the statistics, pointed out my own record of not having so much as a parking ticket...owning land, houses, cars etc. Was outraged that I could not own a replica of the rifle I carried as a US Marine protecting this nation of ours that is legal in 49 other states, etc.

I also wrote a similar letter to Mr LaSuer thanking him and pledging my support to him in the future even though he is not my assemblyman.

I'm going to write more letters this weekend and get on my friends and family to do the same.
Tuesday I'm going to start with the phonecalls!
http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/legs/asm.shtml

We can do this, people!
Old 02-18-2005, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

First off hello everyone I'm new to this forum and look foward to chatting more stuff thats important to us. Well, there has been an assembly bill proposed that would repeal the assault weapons ban. Here is the link. It has just recently been printed and it might be heard today if not already. SUPPORT the people who introduced this bill and contact your representatives and everyone else. Make your voice be heard and will not lose!

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/a...ntroduced.html

-BWiese
Old 02-18-2005, 11:59 PM
Calguns Addict

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drm600:
i never thought i'd live to see something like this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now it's up to us.

"May be heard in committee March 18"

Here's the info on the committee that will probably be hearing the bill:

http://www.assembly.ca.gov/acs/newco...p?committee=57

We'll need two Democrats to vote correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll be writing letters, but I know Mark Leno and Ira Ruskin are declared antigun.

Mike Searson: Can you give me a sample of a letter you wrote to one of the committee members? I'd like to include it along with a brief note about the bill AB448 at the Cow Palace gun show. We'll be handing out flyers to stop the SF gun ban so drumming up support for AB448 would fit in nicely with what I was planning to do.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Calguns Addict

I've created what I feel is an improved flier... it's one page, contains a little more contact info for the Democratic members of the Public Safety Committee, and leaves off the Republicans (we already know that Jay La Suer and Todd Spitzer are going to vote correctly... we can focus our efforts on the others). I also left off any info about other Legislators... it's premature to contact them, I think. I believe we should focus all of our efforts on the Public Saftey Committee like a laser beam... if we clear that hurdle, then let's worry about our local lawmakers!

http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Repeal_AWB.pdf

Old 02-20-2005, 8:19 PM

I just stumbled into this I will be sending my letters off Monday. Telling all my friends!

Tom
NRA Endowment Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Ruger Armorer
Remington Armorer
Sig Armorer
Firearms Instructor
Old 02-18-2005, 6:31 PM
Calguns Addict

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drm600:
i never thought i'd live to see something like this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having a bill introduced isn't that hard part. Mr. La Suer introduced an earlier bill that would have made "assault rifles" legal with ten round magazines, and that bill died in committee.

Now it's up to us.

"May be heard in committee March 18"

Here's the info on the committee that will probably be hearing the bill:

http://www.assembly.ca.gov/acs/newco...p?committee=57

We'll need two Democrats to vote correctly. I would say that, as soon as we know that this bill is on the agenda for that committee, we need to write letters. Faxes and emails are not considered as "worthy". Calls are good, but letters are best. Well, "best" would be constituents of the committee members showing up at their offices saying "Hey! You're in my district. You're supposed to represent me! And I want you to vote correctly on this bill!"

Old 02-20-2005, 9:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Some good resources mentioned in CA-Firearms...

http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-fa...4-0-Screen.pdf

http://www.mikecaswell.com/AWBGuide.pdf