Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:29 PM

They did it, must have been the demand.

From the Kel-tec news release today (Friday 11th)...

SU16CA now available: This is a hybrid of the SU16C and SU16A rifles. It is an SU16C rifle with the folding stock replaced with the fixed stock of the SU-16A rifle. The only other difference is that it will include 2 magazines like the SU16A. Price will be exactly the same as the SU16C. (posted 2-11-2005)

Now I just gotta' find me one!
Old 02-11-2005, 1:11 PM

Hey Leon! You get around. I'm not too familiar with the Long Beach area. I'd say anyone who sells KT products and have them order it OR buy it on USAgunsales/Gunsamerica/Gunbroker.com and find a cheap local FFL. Good luck, knowing KT you'll probable have to wait a while.
Old 02-11-2005, 1:16 PM

BAAH!! i hate waiting.
Old 02-18-2005, 4:46 PM

So this will have the short sight radius like the "c"?

Hrrrmm...get a B with the long sight radius and bipod or a C with threaded bbl and rails...choices choices...
Old 02-11-2005, 12:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Haha. That's what happens when SHOT is held a stones throw from the California border. I bet they were inundated with "in-the-flesh" requests during the show and went back to their assembly lines and said "What if we take this upper and pin it to that lower?".
Old 02-11-2005, 12:53 PM

So...where can i get one in So cal??
Old 02-18-2005, 7:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jaybird:
So this will have the short sight radius like the "c"?

Hrrrmm...get a B with the long sight radius and bipod or a C with threaded bbl and rails...choices choices... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know what? Looking at the pictures the sight radius isn't so bad. The M16/AR has the front sight at the gas block. The SU16 has it at the end of the barrel. The AR's are known for pretty good accuracy so it may be a moot point.
Old 02-11-2005, 1:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leon DeGamme:
check out the new forend. You will lose the bipod but gain rails. It makes the SU-16 much more tactical IMO. The bipod wasnt that useful anyways.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
There've been images of the fore end, albeit poorer quality, posted to calguns previously.

FWIW At the SHOT show, Keltec had a booth in the Law Enforcement and Tactical section. Their Rep had a Delta with a 10" bbl clipped to his suit belt in order to demonstrate the tactical advantage of it's concealability

Limited advantage to the fore grip rail. Lights and lasers. Maybe a Harris bipod mount.

A vertical foregrip would be ergonomically awkward, as Mike S mentioned elsewhere. In the case of a firearm with a pistol grip (M4 or 870 with pistol grip conversion), the firing position is similar to a boxing pose, whereas a VFG on something like the SU-16 is akin to holding pruning shears
Old 02-11-2005, 12:29 PM

They did it, must have been the demand.

From the Kel-tec news release today (Friday 11th)...

SU16CA now available: This is a hybrid of the SU16C and SU16A rifles. It is an SU16C rifle with the folding stock replaced with the fixed stock of the SU-16A rifle. The only other difference is that it will include 2 magazines like the SU16A. Price will be exactly the same as the SU16C. (posted 2-11-2005)

Now I just gotta' find me one!
Old 02-11-2005, 7:58 PM

Me too! LOL. I've been looking at compensators all day, guess I should get on with some work. I like the look of the MiCulek and Smith Enterprises one at the moment. I also found a Georgia store that has the C for $570, they said the price will be the same for the CA, Yeee-haw! With FFL that's just over $600, sweet!
Old 02-11-2005, 3:28 PM

Pretty cool, should be an attractive CA legal semi-auto, detachable AR mag solution until the Robinson XCR CA Legal version comes out.

A CA legal detachable AR mag receiver that accepts AR uppers still eludes us.

At least the Kel-Tec and Robinson XCR incorporate a gas-piston system.

I wondered about the chrome-line barrel thing(the Kel-Tec is negative on CLB), same with the XCR currently, I found this on their website FAQ:

"Are the (Robinson XCR)barrels chrome-lined?
Chrome lining is only approximately .0002" thick. It looks nice but does not meet current military requirements. We will be offering a better plating which has more corrosion and wear resistance. We will not divulge details of this proprietary process other than it is as hard as chrome but is much thicker and less likely to flake off."
Old 02-18-2005, 10:20 PM

Sounds like the one to get, if and when the Robinson Arms XCR CA-legal version comes out(I hope they don't just remove the pistol grip like the M96)...the Kel-Tec will probably still be way cheaper in price.
Old 02-11-2005, 6:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This is great news! We went from Kel-Tec refusing to sell to those of us in California to having our own specific model.

This may be my next long arm. I'm looking at muzzle brakes already.
I can't wait until Kel-Tec releases the new hand guard that they should have put on it in the first place. My concern is that it touches the barrel and make for poor accuracy.
Old 02-11-2005, 1:47 PM

check out the new forend. You will lose the bipod but gain rails. It makes the SU-16 much more tactical IMO. The bipod wasnt that useful anyways.

http://www.ktrange.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2887