Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Calguns Addict

How about if eevry gun store were to hand out NRA, CRPA, GOA/GOC, CCRKBA/SAF, etc. membership forms with every gun they sold?

But no... literally, it's too much effort for them. They don't agree with NRA 100%, so they'd rather badmouth them.

When AB448 was still alive, I was talking about it to a couple of guys at a local gun store. Would they let me put some petitions in the store? No... this'll never pass, there's no point, etc.

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-14-2005, 6:13 PM

CA probably has more gun owners than any state in the U.S... It’s sad that we allow the Sacramento crew chip away our freedoms every year. I believe our biggest weaknesses are politically inactive and unorganized CA gun owners. We take our gun freedoms (what’s left of them) for granted and don’t stay informed of freedom stealing legislation. Most CA gun owners learn of new freedom stealing laws after they are implemented.

If even one half of CA gun owners did one or more of the following,
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Spend ~30 minutes a month to stay informed,
<LI>$30 - $50 a year for membership in any of the pro-gun organizations to support lobbying and receive legislative information summaries
<LI>Write, call, fax our lawmakers to record our opposition to anti-gun legislation[/list]
and always vote for pro-gun candidates, I believe we’d be able to discourage b.s. legislation that only serve to tax, restrict, and harass law abiding gun owners.

IME, the one motivating factor that works across the board for most people is an impact to their pocketbook. I’ve always thought the most effective way to mobilize gun owners would be to coordinate with gun/ammo retailers in a couple ways:

1) Give attractive discounts to members of pro-gun orgs (i.e. raise the base price of products to make up for the difference; make the people who don't support their own gun rights pay for the discounts given to those who do).

2) Service only people belonging to any one or more of the gun organizations - e.g. NRA, CRPA, GOA, JFPO, etc. Maybe bundle a membership with a gun purchase or have similar deals...

This approach would only work with participation from the majority of gun industry retailers. Perhaps it’s time to consider an approach like this in light of our past, current, and future legislative atmosphere.

In the short term, it may hurt business, but if the majority of CA gun owners belonged-to, and supported these orgs, we'd have a larger, organized, and more enlightened collective base to encourage lawmakers to do the right thing. In the long term, the firearms industry and CA gun owners would benefit… industry keeps their livelihood and CA gun owners keep or increase their freedom.

There are those who are motivated and self-driven enough to not require membership in a pro-gun org, to be “active”, but most are not. Speaking for myself, I benefited greatly from joining the NRA and CRPA to become more informed and active in supporting efforts to retain my gun ownership freedoms.

Sorry for the rambling novel, just wanted to get this out in the open and perhaps others could add ideas to this thread that would be effective in activating, informing, and organizing the masses of unheard and unseen law-abiding CA gun owners.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jnojr:
How about if eevry gun store were to hand out NRA, CRPA, GOA/GOC, CCRKBA/SAF, etc. membership forms with every gun they sold?

But no... literally, it's too much effort for them. They don't agree with NRA 100%, so they'd rather badmouth them.

When AB448 was still alive, I was talking about it to a couple of guys at a local gun store. Would they let me put some petitions in the store? No... this'll never pass, there's no point, etc.
Since I got involved with gun rights in CA I too have noticed the disorganization among gun owners in the state. It's really sad. I don't agree 100% with the NRA (I don't know that I agree 100% with any organization), but I support them 100% and I certainly don't badmouth them. Too many of us do though.

I've noticed in general that gun owners in CA are very "Balkanized" and have no central organization. I know we've been down this road before on Calguns with regard to the CRPA, but I still don't see anything changing. Part of the problem is that we're too busy arguing among ourselves to put together a political organization. There's the "Anyone should be allowed to own anything they want" group who oppose any and all regulation. Then there's the "Well a little regulation is OK so long as they don't ban classes of guns" group. Then there's the "Good God no civilian needs to own that, but I hunt so don't touch my deer rifle" group. I'm sure there are more categories, but you get the point.

Bottom line though is unless we band together we're all going to loose our Second Amendment rights. I agree with the original post that if all the gun owners in California banded together, put together coherent arguments, and kept a unified front, we'd represent a very powerful political organization. It's the left of left wackos from the Bay Area and LA that are driving the anti-gun movement. We can stop them, but it will take organization and right now, we just don't have it.