Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-12-2005, 6:57 PM

Well I am looking for a range to go to tomorrow. I know of the los altos rod and gun club but they arent open till thursday. I was wondering if anyone around here knows of another good place, I am in the saratoga area near san jose. Thank you
Old 04-12-2005, 7:37 PM

I was recently at the Sunnyvale range on a weekday, zzzzzz. I prefer Metcalfe, the staff are cool, people actually talk to one another, and I like how the stalls are open air (the stalls at Sunnyvale are enclosed thus the fumes tend to linger). My 2 cents.
Old 04-12-2005, 7:21 PM

Ted's right about Metcalf on Wednesdays, they open at Noon. Sunnyvale Rod & Gun club is open on Tuesdays from 9:00a.m. on! Metcalf is pretty empty on the weekdays and the staff is great!
Have fun,
Old 04-12-2005, 9:03 PM

So the metcalf range is pretty nice? Is metcalf run by the city?
Old 04-12-2005, 9:20 PM

I believe Metcalf is run by the city, or perhaps the county.

I would say that Los Altos is pretty nice because it has a nice view, the surrounding environment, and extremely clean. Metcalf is good enough. It's not the cleanest, and it's somewhat weathered, but the staff are cool, it's convenient, and most shooters are usually pretty friendly.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

I want to say sorry for putting down Los Altos. Some of you might call that place home and I just stepped all over it. I went on Sat and it was just a nightmare. Second round of the day I get a squib in my savage. As I pull back the bolt with the case, it dumps all the powder inside my action. Because there is oil in the action all the powder sticks to the inside and I can't get it out. This means I have to fully take apart my gun at home and clean all the gun powder out. This is my competition bench gun that was shooting 3/16" groups and taking it apart will mess up my grouping for sure. After that was all done I take out my AR and start shooting. 15 shots later my freefloat handguards unscrews. So I torque it back tight and now my Bi-pod is all cock-eyed. That means I have to drill a new hole in the handguard to get my bipod level. I take off the bi-pod and just us the sand bags. 5 rounds later I get a spent case stuck in the chamber. It takes all my might to pull back the charging handle to get the shell out and when it does give, I smash my trigger finger some how. At this point I have been at the range for hours and only shot about 20 rounds. Now....add the range safety guys nit picking me the whole time. I was having a really bad day which fueled my first post.

Sorry
Old 04-18-2005, 6:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have been talked to about driving to fast when I was not (3MPH limit, you have to be kidding) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There have been several incidents where people are walking with ear protection, not paying attention to traffic, on have been hit (or some near collisions).

They don't need the lawsuits & grief. I don't blame 'em.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:29 AM

Los Altos:
is the cleanest and nicest range I have gone.
The 3mph rule? It's good... I like the idea that they have had more traffic incidents than firearms mishaps! kinda like "real life". The only issue I have with it is that my car is VERY hard to drive 3mph without stalling every 10 feet.
And yeah... sometimes they do seem a bit "high & mighty" but I can see why...
A few months back we almost all got shot by a "un-safe/un-trained" handgun shooting little hottie.

It's alo a blast being able to shoot water jugs!

Metcalf:
is the dirtiest range I've been! yeah the county folks are pretty nice though. Each time I go... it's as windy as heck & the targets move more than I do.

Sunnyvale:
is a great place to go if your sighting in a rifle. The old guy Ted is a nice guy. Sometimes it’s just too damn noisy to talk to people there… we have double earplugs. Nice part of town though.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:14 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bu-bye:
WOW I did not know how many people were from the bay area. I'm in Santa Cruz myself. Personally, I don't like Los Altos. The range workers there ALWAYS find something to correct me on. Maybe its because I'm a younger guy (mid 20's) or they just like the feel of power. I have been talked to about driving to fast when I was not (3MPH limit, you have to be kidding), not having my shooting glasses on when walking from my car to benches and no one was on the line shooting, even the placement of my shooting bag by my feet while I shoot. EVERYTHING. I'm a active member at the Laguna Seca range so range rules are not new to me. every time I go up there its the same old nit picking unfriendly people.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

++1

3 MPH!!!!!!!

http://www.schizrade.com -- my rantings.
Old 04-21-2005, 3:14 PM
Veteran Member

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by unixcock:
Hey,
Send me an email. I know where a range is in Santa Cruz thats better then all the ones everyone is talking about. I am headed up there this saturday. I can always give you a tour then if you like.
Brian

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bu-bye:
WOW I did not know how many people were from the bay area. I'm in Santa Cruz myself. Personally, I don't like Los Altos. The range workers there ALWAYS find something to correct me on. Maybe its because I'm a younger guy (mid 20's) or they just like the feel of power. I have been talked to about driving to fast when I was not (3MPH limit, you have to be kidding), not having my shooting glasses on when walking from my car to benches and no one was on the line shooting, even the placement of my shooting bag by my feet while I shoot. EVERYTHING. I'm a active member at the Laguna Seca range so range rules are not new to me. every time I go up there its the same old nit picking unfriendly people.

I would very much like try out some other ranges when my Seca range is closed. Stupid car races...did I just say that about fast sexy cars? Do you guys have any website for those ranges you spoke of? Or maybe some phone numbers?

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure where to find your e-mail on this site. I looked in your profile but did not find it. I would love a tour but I'm going to down to Laguna Seca for a Bench Rifle match Sat morning. It would be great if you came with, I'd love meet another follew lead head. A few of us guys meet for breakfast before the match. If you can't make it with me could I take a rain check to come and see your place? Would it by chance be the range in Scotts Valley? My buddy is a member there and I have gone a couple times to test some loads. That a great place, nice and empty. Shoot me an e-mail eric@wbba.net
Old 04-19-2005, 4:31 AM

This site is pretty good.

Click on the number that represents the range.

Local Gun Ranges
Old 04-12-2005, 9:18 PM

Thanks guys, I guess I will head over there tomorrow and do some shooting and see how I do. Now I need to figure out how to sight in my ruger... I hate being new to things haha
Old 04-18-2005, 5:01 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Los Altos:
is the cleanest and nicest range I have gone.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with that! what nice about this range is the scenery especially the trap range, it's the only range where you can see houses on the nearby hills but only from the trap range. The people who live there must've get used to hearing gun shots everyday, or maybe have bulletproof home. Also the way up to the range, hw9/skyline, is nice, although I crashed my bike up there once, but was lucky enough to walk away unscratched. The tin can/water jug range is a blast. One thing I would suggest to the range is to put up some sort of fence and crosswalk between the parking lot/drive way and the rifle range because most drivers do get distracted looking at other people shooting or just looking at all the cool guns while driving by. Although 3mph is slower than walking speed, you can still run over someone if you're not looking where you're going.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Metcalf:
is the dirtiest range I've been! yeah the county folks are pretty nice though. Each time I go... it's as windy as heck & the targets move more than I do.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wouldn't say it's the dirtiest range, but it does get pretty muddy during winter/after the rain just like other ranges. The RO's and people there are nice, people do talk to each other. What I like about this range is the 200yd range, I believe it's the longest range here in SJ. Although, it's open to public only once a month but if you joined the local clubs you can have more access to the range.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sunnyvale:
is a great place to go if your sighting in a rifle. The old guy Ted is a nice guy. Sometimes it’s just too damn noisy to talk to people there… we have double earplugs. Nice part of town though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I haven't been to this range for the last few years, so no comment on that

Loc
rap4.com
Old 04-13-2005, 5:28 AM

I like the big sign when you get off the freeway at the "T" intersection.

Sports Park, gun range...
Old 04-12-2005, 6:57 PM

Well I am looking for a range to go to tomorrow. I know of the los altos rod and gun club but they arent open till thursday. I was wondering if anyone around here knows of another good place, I am in the saratoga area near san jose. Thank you
Old 04-21-2005, 9:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The last two times I've been at LARG young RSOs (different each time) hung around - not becasue I was perceived as unsafe/risky etc, but because I had several ARs and an AR10, when most everyone else around that day was shooting bolt guns, Garands etc.

Was glad to show 'em the toys, but the 'hovering' was a bit distracting - I'll write that off to their being relative youngsters...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

I would very much like try out some other ranges when my Seca range is closed. Stupid car races...did I just say that about fast sexy cars? Do you guys have any website for those ranges you spoke of? Or maybe some phone numbers?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2005, 9:21 AM

Hey,
Send me an email. I know where a range is in Santa Cruz thats better then all the ones everyone is talking about. I am headed up there this saturday. I can always give you a tour then if you like.
Brian

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>