Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-26-2009, 6:22 AM
Veteran Member

Default How to build an AR, tutorial

I would like to build an AR but have no idea where to begin. If one of you guys in bored or has the time, would you mind posting the steps of what I need to buy.

I'm pretty sure that the first step is to buy a lower. I think that I've seen a local company called Kaiser????? Would this be a good starting point?

I have no idea what's next. So if someone could just breakdown a parts list and beside each part say weather it's a local gun store part, or an internet part, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I live in San Diego if that matters.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-2009, 6:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Goggle.

Know it, use it, live it.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 09-26-2009, 7:00 AM
Calguns Addict

http://www.calguns.net/OLL/assembly.html
Old 09-26-2009, 7:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
I would like to build an AR but have no idea where to begin. If one of you guys in bored or has the time, would you mind posting the steps of what I need to buy.

I'm pretty sure that the first step is to buy a lower. I think that I've seen a local company called Kaiser????? Would this be a good starting point?

I have no idea what's next. So if someone could just breakdown a parts list and beside each part say weather it's a local gun store part, or an internet part, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I live in San Diego if that matters.

Thanks in advance.
First of all, read this a few times, and be sure you understand it. Stay legal!
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Here is the assembly guide on this forum. Thie links for this and the one above are also in the bar near the top of this page.
http://www.calguns.net/OLL/assembly.html

You'll need a bare lower, a complete lower parts kit (now back down about $75 or so with the standard trigger). You'll also need a buttstock. If you are going to use the standard pistol grip, you'll need a bullet button, Radd-lock, or something similar. Use magazines that will HOLD 10 rounds, and you'll be good to go. If you're going with a featureless build, some of this will change. By then you'll know what I'm talking about, if you don't know already.

This will take care of the lower. Tools for assembling the upper cost $$, so You'll likely want to shop for a complete upper.

all the best,
Mike

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 09-26-2009, 7:17 AM

AR15.com for the general stuff, Calguns.net for the CA specific stuff. There is a lot of info on AR15.com; assembly guides, equipment reviews, and lots of discussions.
Old 09-26-2009, 7:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothergunnut View Post
AR15.com for the general stuff, Calguns.net for the CA specific stuff. There is a lot of info on AR15.com; assembly guides, equipment reviews, and lots of discussions.
+1
Old 09-26-2009, 7:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Brownells has video tutorials

Magpul | Mega Arms | LMT | Hiperfire | ODIN Works | Multitasker
Spike's Tactical | Fortis | Centurion Arms | Limited Capacity PMAGs

FREE SHIPPING ON $150+ ORDERS!
Old 09-26-2009, 7:41 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Just look up. There is a link on the top-left of this forum called "OLL Assembly Guide" and it works fine - just ignore the part about filing down your bullet button, that part is obsolete, but the rest is fine.

Buy a lower receiver from a dealer, everything else you can buy online if you like.

www.riflegear.com
Old 09-26-2009, 7:49 AM

This is more of a how to guide once you have your lower and lower parts kit:

AR15 Build it yourself forum
Old 09-26-2009, 8:18 AM

Link up top is very useful. Put together my first lower last weekend without much trouble. I got a little ahead of myself at some points, but doing steps over because you forgot a spring is good practice (at least I keep telling myself that). Helped my pop with his later in the day, was much easier the second time around. One suggestion I can make is to line up the hammer with a punch pin before starting the retaining pin. I was using the RRA NM trigger, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it, but that hammer spring was a pain.
Old 09-26-2009, 8:19 AM
Banned

Newbs. I'll be nice. Here's what to do:

READ, READ, READ the CA laws regarding building a CA legal AR15 on this site. Most are stickies and do research on brands.

Buy a Rock River Arms LAR-15 stripped lower, which is an off list lower according to your reading. You will have to wait 10 days to pick it up and with that, fill out the DROS form and sign an affidavit of a safe/committing to not building an assault weapon.

Tools, make sure you have them.

Order a buttstock, bullet button, 10 round magazines and lower parts kit to complete your stripped lower. Rock River Arms makes both. Build it by following the directions on the top right titled: "OLL Assembly Guide".

Next is picking up a complete upper, you can get a different brand OR even a Rock River Arms...but make sure it's in accordance with the directions on the top left titled: "CA AW ID Flowchart". Attach it to your complete lower.

Buy ammo .223/5.56 and you're DONE.
Old 09-26-2009, 8:19 AM

Good video I used to assemble my OLL.

http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeB...ippedLower.wmv

If putting on evil features, http://www.calguns.net/OLL/assembly.html install bullet button/radlock, etc. first than proceed with the video.
Old 09-26-2009, 8:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Dawg® View Post

READ, READ, READ the CA laws regarding building a CA legal AR15 on this site. Most are stickies and do research on brands.

Buy a Rock River Arms LAR-15 stripped lower, which is an off list lower according to your reading. You will have to wait 10 days to pick it up and with that, fill out the DROS form and sign an affidavit of a safe/committing to not building an assault weapon.

Order a buttstock, bullet button, 10 round magazines and lower parts kit to complete your stripped lower. Rock River Arms makes both. Build it by following the directions on the top right titled: "OLL Assembly Guide".

Next is picking up a complete upper, you can get a different brand OR even a Rock River Arms...but make sure it's in accordance with the directions on the top left titled: "CA AW ID Flowchart". Attach it to your complete lower.

Greg Dawg, dude i'll bend over backwards to help somebody out. But it gets old when all somebody needs to do is a little work, and they won't do it.
It's not the question, it's the lack of effort that gets to me.
Sorry if I sounded like a dick earlier.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 09-26-2009, 9:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Greg Dawg, dude i'll bend over backwards to help somebody out. But it gets old when all somebody needs to do is a little work, and they won't do it.
Yeah I hear you....but...

I just have some free time on my hands. LOL!

A lot of newbies like to take the easy road, without the effort...but they'll realize it at the end that effort is worth it.
Old 09-26-2009, 9:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yeah I hear you....but...

I just have some free time on my hands. LOL!

A lot of newbies like to take the easy road, without the effort...but they'll realize it at the end that effort is worth it.
What's funny to me is i'm NOT a computer guy AT ALL. Now I can build just about anything in the world. But navigating this internet thing is still new.

I'll bet 5 bucks 75% of the people asking these questions have been using computers since they were sperm and could find out anything on the web.

I'm gonna finish this handguard retainer for a Saiga, got a couple more welds still.

Patrick Henry.
Old 09-26-2009, 9:12 AM

check out www.ar15.com
Old 09-26-2009, 2:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Sorry if I sounded like a dick earlier.
No problem, there's dicks on every forum

Kidding. I actually do have great internet skills. So good in fact that I know the fastest way to get information is to ask it on a forum. For example, this morning when I woke up it took me about 1 minute to type in my question. I spent the day out and just got home. I learned a wealth of knowledge in just a few replies to my question and I now have a great starting point to begin my education of AR's.

Lazy, maybe. Or maybe smart. You could look at it both ways. Plus I heard that calguns is a cool place from others on the forums that I frequent. I knew there would be some repsonces that wouldn't help me, like "google it." But I also knew there would be some friendly people to help me out.
Old 09-26-2009, 2:53 PM

A year ago or so, I hardly knew what an AR15 was. Today, I have one built from the ground up, using parts I researched and selected, put together using the right tools made for AR work. There is a wealth of info in a lot of places, and it can be overwhelming. You do need to read a lot, in places such as here, ar15.com, and m4 carbine.net. First, you need to know what the rifle will be used for, what options you want on it, etc., before you can possibly form a shopping list. Think about a budget. One can build the gun for maybe $1000 to over 2x that, without optics.

In my opinion, get the lower receiver at a local store. Less hassle, and while more pricey to start with, may come close to the same as mail order due to transfer fees. Receivers comes as billet or forged. The former looks nicer, the latter may be stronger, but that may be irrelevant for what it has to do. The billet costs more. You can order a Tactical Innovations T15 from Rainier for $110 (on sale). That is so cheap, it may be worth it to order that.

The parts below are what I needed, your configuration may be different, depending on purpose of rifle. Mine was built primarily for bench accuracy shooting at short range. All items except the bullet button and lower receiver, I mail ordered.

Lower Receiver
Lower parts kit
Trigger (if one in LPK is not what you want)
Magazine
Bullet button kit (get at local gun store)
Stock kit (stock, extension tube, buffer, and buffer spring)
Upper receiver (w/ejection port door, pivot pin, and spring - they almost always come this way)
Bolt/carrier assembly
Charging handle
Barrel (really depends on what you want to do, performance expectations, bullets to be shot, what range, etc.).
Gas block
Gas block tube
Handguard
Scope mount
Scope
Scope caps

Depending on your gun, you may want backup sights, a red dot arrangement, additional Picatinny rails, flash hider, etc..

You also need tools. If you need help there, let me know.

I have thought about putting together on my web page, a beginning to end tutorial, inclusive of tips, parts selections, tools, etc. Lots of info out there, but harder to find a single place where it is from A to Z.

- Phil

Last edited by Phil3; 09-26-2009 at 2:57 PM..
Old 09-26-2009, 2:58 PM
Veteran Member

That's awesome! Thanks!