Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-25-2009, 6:43 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Windows 7...

I have been playing with a 90 day eval Enterprise version of Win 7 that MS has made available. To my surprise, I like it! After the Vista fiasco, it appears that MS has finally done it right. The OS runs great on one of my 2GHz, 1G test machines. It really does appear to be Vista SP3 with all the fixes/revisions that MS should have made in the first place. The only glaring omission is the fact that no basic email client is included. Thunderbird is an easy enough solution to this. Anybody else here using it yet? Comments?

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Now serving you from Prescott, AZ

Last edited by EBR Works; 09-25-2009 at 8:40 AM..
Old 09-25-2009, 7:22 AM
Calguns Addict

We got the Enterprise media a couple weeks ago. I installed in on a VM and it's decent. XP is still faster for all my Windows needs. Some of non-tech people in our office have been using it and they seem to like it.

Most of the Windows users are either using Outlook or Thunderbird for email.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 09-25-2009, 7:29 AM

I ordered Windows 7 and can't wait for it to arrive. I have a PC running Vista and it is terrible. Vista on my PC is very unstable and crashes all the time. I have a PC with XP and it runs great.

If Windows 7 does not run well, I will buy all Apple computers in the future.
Old 09-25-2009, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

I have been running the RC version build 7100 for about 3 months now and it has been great so far!

Very fast and reliable. Opening things like illustrator / photoshop and running 4 or 5 high demand programs is no issue at all

You will like it the more you play with it and find it's hidden little secrets

Art
Former USMC RRT MARSOC
Old 09-25-2009, 8:05 AM

Windows 7 is good to go. Been running it for a long time now, through beta's and RC's. I have had the RTM bits for a little over a month now. All is well. I never had any serious problems with Vista, but 7 seems faster. Hibernation, sleep and wakeup work out better now, and dual monitor support is improved. I'd take 7 over Vista for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.
Old 09-25-2009, 8:27 AM

I started running Win 7 since the beta days, and I love seeind how the OS has polished up. Better than Vista, and the VM integration is awesome. No more legacy application issues. And the multi-touch integrations is awesome if you ever have a chance to play with that.
Old 09-25-2009, 8:31 AM

I have Vista in my PC and haven't had any problems, never crashed and it's super fast.

Me likey!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 9:07 AM
Now in AZ
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have been running Win7 since beta and now am running RTM (I love Technet, best $300 a year a MS focused IT guy or computer nerd can spend).

Works great!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

yes i've been using it for months now. i was able to get professional RTM for $19 bucks

so far from all the people who have posted on this thread, not one has said anything negative about it which indicates a good thing. That doesn't mean people haven't had problems with it but I'm sure anyone who purchases a new computer next month that comes with windows 7 pre-installed will be happy about it.

the new intel i7 chips for laptops will be awesome when put together with windows 7. I hope they don't cost me a arm and a leg
Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 AM

I've been using Windows 7 on my desktop and laptop since RTM. Works great, goodbye XP!

Yeah, it's dumb they didn't include an email client. I guess they want people to install Windows Live Mail or buy Outlook.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude View Post
I've been using Windows 7 on my desktop and laptop since RTM. Works great, goodbye XP!

Yeah, it's dumb they didn't include an email client. I guess they want people to install Windows Live Mail or buy Outlook.
yes probably

but actually it is also a way to make less bloated. people complained with vista that it had too much crap built into it and just slowed down your computer. At least this way people have to make their own choice on what they want which leads to less lawsuits from competitors.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Now in AZ

Probably had more to do with preventing more antitrust lawsuits than anything. Similar to have the photo gallery, messanger, and movie maker are part of that bundle now too.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCasey View Post
Probably had more to do with preventing more antitrust lawsuits than anything. Similar to have the photo gallery, messanger, and movie maker are part of that bundle now too.
we said the same thing
Old 09-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

For the Vista folks... I just figured this out myself... if you have an nVidia video card, the "nvstor.exe" program (which apparently has something to do with disk storage for the card) doesn't like to play nicely with Vista when doing disk intensive activities. My computer would freeze during MS updating and anti-virus scanning. I just disabled the nVidia stuff... and all is good with Vista. Everything actually ran like it was supposed to.

Just doing a little checking around, it seems that nVidia, MS, and some hardware manufacturers all blame each other for this problem...

I might actually give Win 7 a try later on...
Old 09-25-2009, 11:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactco View Post
I have been playing with a 90 day eval Enterprise version of Win 7 that MS has made available. To my surprise, I like it! After the Vista fiasco, it appears that MS has finally done it right. The OS runs great on one of my 2GHz, 1G test machines. It really does appear to be Vista SP3 with all the fixes/revisions that MS should have made in the first place. The only glaring omission is the fact that no basic email client is included. Thunderbird is an easy enough solution to this. Anybody else here using it yet? Comments?
Type "Live" into the start menu, get Live Essentials. That's where movie maker, messenger, mail and the photo gallery went.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 09-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

As an industrial electrician there is no way you could have a laptop with vista. Not a single piece of software for current programmable hardware(PLC, etc...) will run on it.

They wisely added an XP simulator mode to Windows 7. So any program that ran on XP can be run on Windows 7, including games.

I'm looking forward to it, esp direct X11

Check out my Tactical Machining 80% build

Absolute power corrupts absolutely, even on Calguns.
NRA Life Member
USPSA Member
IDPA Member
Old 09-25-2009, 12:42 PM

If you get Windows 7 and want to use XP Mode, make sure you don't get Home Premium, get a higher edition.

From http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir...uirements.aspx
Quote:
Note: Windows XP Mode is only available in Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Professional, and Windows 7 Ultimate.
Old 09-25-2009, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSDGuy View Post
For the Vista folks... I just figured this out myself... if you have an nVidia video card, the "nvstor.exe" program (which apparently has something to do with disk storage for the card) doesn't like to play nicely with Vista when doing disk intensive activities. My computer would freeze during MS updating and anti-virus scanning. I just disabled the nVidia stuff... and all is good with Vista. Everything actually ran like it was supposed to.

Just doing a little checking around, it seems that nVidia, MS, and some hardware manufacturers all blame each other for this problem...

I might actually give Win 7 a try later on...
I've never had any problem with my old 8800 ormy 9800 with vista. I rather like Vista now. That being said, I'm going to dump it like a hot potato when Windows 7 comes out just so I can upgrade to 64 bit. All windows 7 disk will include both the 32 bit and 64 bit version and the key will work for both. If you don't like the 64 bit (for some reason), the same key will allow you to install the 32 bit version on the same computer. That's a good move by MS.
Old 09-25-2009, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancear15 View Post
As an industrial electrician there is no way you could have a laptop with vista. Not a single piece of software for current programmable hardware(PLC, etc...) will run on it.
You can run most older Windows applications in Vista using Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode . . .

R
Old 09-26-2009, 11:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancear15 View Post

They wisely added an XP simulator mode to Windows 7. So any program that ran on XP can be run on Windows 7, including games.

I'm looking forward to it, esp direct X11
Its not a "simulator", its a full copy of XP Pro running in a virtual machine.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 09-28-2009, 12:44 AM

Talking

Switched XP out on an old laptop from dell with Windows 7 Ultimate and it is just as fast. Never been happier.

Oh, and I've been running the beta on my desktop since it came out too. No problems whatsoever.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

I've been using Win7 since last year and I LOVE it. Started on Beta, moved to RC and then to RTM.

There have been a TON of bugs worked out of the system since it first came online and there are still some issues to be worked out, but overall this OS rocks so much better than Vista.

I can tell you that quad or higher monitors are very possible (yes, 4 monitors as one GIANT desktop). Also, my tablet (TC4400) LOVES Win7 with it's native wacom drivers and digitizer input.

If you have a tablet, check "sticky notes", "journal" and the personal handwriting recognition.

Also, if you have a fast enough processor, ram and video card, 1080p to a 50" or larger screen is a no-brainer. I'm currently streaming 720p.x264.mkv bluray rips to my 46" LCD sony over a 10/100 line from my HP media server. I can't tell you how sick it is to ditch my DVD player. Want to watch a movie? No problem! Click, click, BANG! I'm watchin!!! (Better than On Demand from TW)

Lots of cool tricks to Win7 too.

Here's one - Open 3 or more windows (IE, some folder, and windows media player). Most of you probably know about ALT-TAB to cycle through the screens... Try "Windows - TAB" and see what happens...

WTB the following - in San Diego
--COLT Delta Elite 10mm Blued
--Steyr M357A1 357SIG
--Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:51 PM

Windows 7 is great compared to Vista, but Ubuntu is still better.
Old 09-29-2009, 7:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Windows 7 is full of win. Microsoft's best OS release so far IMHO.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Old 09-29-2009, 9:44 AM

NO problems here with VISTA!

I'm MUCH MORE Conservative NOW!

Expect the Best, but prepare for the Worst.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whobob View Post
Windows 7 is great compared to Vista, but Ubuntu is still better.
Yeah, because all my win32 apps run natively under linux (Wine doesn't count). Linux is great on servers but its still not ready for the desktop.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Now in AZ

Well WINE has improved significantly since its earlier releases and works on a pretty wide range of apps.

That said, I primary use Win7 as my "go to" OS.
Old 09-29-2009, 1:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressCheck View Post
NO problems here with VISTA!
I think you're the only one.

WTB the following - in San Diego
--COLT Delta Elite 10mm Blued
--Steyr M357A1 357SIG
--Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:14 PM

How does 7 compare to XP? XP is so simple...I dislike vista A LOT.

I think people who don't have problems with it, aren't people who use computers a lot, just use them to surf the net and check email.
Old 10-02-2009, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy View Post
How does 7 compare to XP? XP is so simple...I dislike vista A LOT.

I think people who don't have problems with it, aren't people who use computers a lot, just use them to surf the net and check email.
Hi Caoboy,

I work in IT Support and have it installed on a laptop (tablet pc) and my desktop in the office. It really is a polished vista. the core kernel is based off of vista. its what vista should have been. You or may not experience a boost in loading into windows with win7. For me, it's just some nice enhancements.
I've been using vista for several years (home desktop and laptop) and it has actually worked well except for my desktop refuse to do standby mode.

Win7 gives you super preview windows; you click on e for internet explorer and it shows you preview windows of all open internet explorer windows. Same goes for any other app but it can be a bit confusing. It's the same icon for preview and to launch new windows. For instance, you have 3 internet explorer windows open to launch a new window you right click on the e icon left click. It's a love it or hate it feature. I hate it. It's confusing as it changes focus on the window your previewing and blanks out the rest of your desktop until you either click on a window or click out of it. Sorry I don't have a screen shot of it.

ITs really good at diagnosing hardware problems and getting the correct drivers. Very good.

No more quick launch bar, replaced by "super preview".
No direct upgrade from xp to win7. Only clean install or overwrite. Overwriting will still save your desktop, docs, etc. to windows.old folder.

Direct upgrade from vista is ok. I've done both and they installed without a hitch. I'd highly recommend a clean install from xp.

It has a XP mode. Its XP running in a wannabe virtual sandbox. All it is remote desktop mashed into windows 7. Useful for adminsitrative tasks, AD accounts, exchange management.

Most security enhancements from vista/win7 are already in xp service pack 3, such as nap, etc.

If it comes with your new PC, just use it. Otherwise, unless you have some compelling reason. Just stay with XP.

No real games demanding dx10 or dx11 yet and its been how many years?
If you want a cool slick desktop to upgrade the look of your xp checkout stardock.com They make a desktop customizer and windows blinds. Cool stuff. Not very pricey and a lot less than win7 upgrades.

Hope this helps out.
Old 10-02-2009, 3:54 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm running a full release version of 64 bit Windows 7 at home and on my work computer. I couldn't be happier with it. Runs WAY better than Vista and a little better than XP for me. My machine at home screams with it running on 12 gb of RAM and an Intel i7.

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!"
-Chesty Puller-

-Dimitri, I'm sorry they're jamming your radar and flying so low, but they're trained to do it. You know, it's, it's initiative!-