Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 06-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

``````````

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.

Last edited by TonyM; 02-12-2009 at 5:05 PM..
Old 06-11-2005, 6:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Many gun 'safes' are really just steel lockboxes w/some fireproofing.

Get at least 3/16" steel; some safes (Ft Knox) higher end also offer a 10ga steel or stainless inner liner also.

For higher-end safes, I recommend Ft Knox or National Security (high end line of Liberty).
Their mid-upper ends are better than Browning Medallions, Cannon safes, etc.

I have a Nat'l Security Magnum 42 safe (60x42x28) which is very nice and secure and fireproof (esp w/sprinkers in house).

A Ft Knox Executive or above would also be a good choice - same size available.

BTW, you're gonna spend a few $$...

Oh - Ft Knox safes do allow the lower-end 'granite' finish on their higher-end safes (special order most likely). This is a more durable finish than the fancy autobody paint jobs on other safes, which can chip & nick just like a car. (Wish I could have the granite finish on my safe...)

Bill Wiese
San Jose7

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-13-2005, 8:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Bill, what does that Magnum 42 weigh? Must be a beast! I have a Cannon (60x30x28) w/the 10 ga body on order and that weighs nearly 800 lbs. I opted for going for a 2nd safe vs a bigger one. I figured I could move them around a little easer should that time come.

I love the lock work on the National Security stuff. The gears look cool!

Old 06-13-2005, 3:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally posted by zatoh:
Bill, what does that Magnum 42 weigh? Must be a beast! I have a Cannon (60x30x28) w/the 10 ga body on order and that weighs nearly 800 lbs. I opted for going for a 2nd safe vs a bigger one. I figured I could move them around a little easer should that time come.

I love the lock work on the National Security stuff. The gears look cool!
Yup, I love my safe. Looks great.

It weighs almost 1300lbs empty. This is a larger safe: 60" x 42" x 28". There is also a Magnum Inferno version that has a ceramic firelining for a few minutes' more fire endurance which weighs around 75lbs less. Not an issue for me, I have sprinklers.

I think the Magnum 42 (60x42x28) may be discontinued now and only the Magnum 32 (60x30ish) and Magnum Plus (?) which is 72" high are available now. The latter weighs maybe 1500lbs.

I want my safe to be 'hard to move'. Lightweight safes are otherwise just carrying cases for burglars

Bill W
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-15-2005, 4:26 AM

I have a Browning safe, not sure the model or the specs on it, but its the size of a small to medium size fridge. Browing makes nice safes, nice finish. I keep all my guns except for my HK USP .40 which i leave out for home protection, all my important docs like tax info, house papers, jewlery, collectable coins, baseball card collection, and the such.
Old 06-16-2005, 5:35 AM
Veteran Member

````````````````````

Quote:
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.

Old 06-17-2005, 7:00 PM

I have a Liberty "Colonial Series" granite finish safe that I am extremely happy with. Once or twice a year, the Liberty Safe showroom in West Sacramento has a real "sale", not just on scratched stuff, either. I believe it was over Labor Day weekend. Anyhow, what really sold me on Liberty was their LIFETIME warranty against fire or break in atttempt, the only part you have to do is to have a locksmith come out once a year to "service" the safe, about $50. In return, if your safe is ever involved in fire or attempted break-in, Liberty will replace the safe FOR FREE! I know of no other manufacturer that can duplicate that type of warranty. Just my two cents, however. Whatever you decide to do, get the largest safe you can afford. Regards, gloxter
Old 06-18-2005, 3:13 PM

I suggest you call John at Sportsmens Supply in San Jose and ask him about his pricing on Browning safes. Very good prices and he is a nice guy.

Mark
Old 06-29-2005, 7:42 AM
Veteran Member

`````````

Quote:

Old 06-29-2005, 1:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I Ended up getting the Browning Medallion, and that expensive camera I wanted. Seemed like a fair trade off.
Congratulations on getting your safe! Mine was delivered a week and a half ago. I am happy now - and yes, the new safe does look imposing. The good part about it us that the wife said "hey, it's not as ugly as I thought it would be". Tacit approval I guess. Thanks honey!

It was amazing to watch the safe mover from Dean Security (one guy, but I helped a little) move that beast into the house.

z

Old 07-02-2005, 10:06 PM

zatoh, how was it dealing with Dean Safe's prices and delivery? I'm out north of Lancaster, and there are a lot of local dealers who sell Patriot and Scout safes, made in Simi Valley I think. But, for $1000, I'd like to look at a big name brand safe from Dean.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Adventurer_96, their prices are competitive or better when comparing the same brand from vendor to vendor. For example, the American Eagle series' prices at Turner's vs at Dean. I found that it get's tricky when you compare one brand to another brand however. I think my safe is roughly equivalent to the Liberty Lincoln series but was $500 less.

I missed out on saving some $$ when I missed the dent and scratch sale held a week before I got my safe. When Dean Security is at gun shows then you can save a $100 - $200.

Delivery prices were about average I suppose. I paid $120 for deliver 15 miles, up two steps and into the room.

What size/features are you looking for? Are you looking for a "basic" safe or one with a multitude of security features? Will you be willing to settle for a safe that will stop 90% of break in attempts or do you need one that will stop 95% of all break in attempts? I think the cost of getting that last 10% starts to go up disproportionately with each percent you gain.

Give them a call. They are very low pressure, no hard sell tactics at least.

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2005, 2:03 PM

I've got to get out to see them to compare prices. I found that the local hardware store will deliver for $25 (not bad) but the overall price of the safe will be several hundred over what I'd be paying elsewhere.

There's a store in Lancaster, but he charges $75 for delivery, then another $75 if you have to deliver it further than the garage plus $35 for bolting it down.

I'm up in the air, but I need to make the buy in the near future.
Old 07-23-2005, 7:01 PM

A_96 you should watch Turner's for sales. Delivery to Rosamond from Reseda would be expensive through a movers or something but unles things have changed drasticly since I got out of the AF you should be able to get something heavey moved for about a case of beer.

--Ronaldus Maximus
Old 07-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Mark C down at Traders marked 300 bucks off a cannon 27 model.

Just ask him what kind of deal can he make you.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994