Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-03-2005, 12:00 PM

I have made it a hobby writing my reps and other politicians and have found a system that works very well. I have all of my reps and others addresses in form letters. This makes it very easy and quick to assemble a letter. Here are some quick tips.

1, Snail mail. The best!
Keep it very short and to the point, be polite but firm. A hand written letter is best though I use my PC. Using a business letterhead will make them take more noticed and carry’s a lot more weight. Lastly, go and buy a “CONFIDENTIAL” rubber stamp (in red) and use it in the mid lower left corner of your envelope. This will increase the chance of your letter winding up in the hands of your intended target.

2, Phone line.
This is a no brainier. When I have an issue I grab my list, open a beer, sit on the couch and begin to dial. I do this after 9:00 since all calls are free on my cell phone. You may get a machine but in the morning they do listen and make their notes.

3, Fax.
I always back up my letters with a fax. I do it from my pc, quick and easy. I have all of my Reps and assorted politician's numbers conveniently stored in my fax program.

4, eMail.
I guess if you are too lazy to do 1, 2, & 3 this will have to do. Its about worthless but I guess its better than nothing.

What ever you chose to do JUST DO IT!!! There are a lot of people sitting out there thinking others will carry the cause. These politicians do listen even if they do not agree with you. If we can get enough people to get off there *** and take action things may look brighter.
Old 05-03-2005, 1:14 PM
Calguns Addict

thanks for the tips
Old 05-04-2005, 7:24 AM

A few more suggestions:

1. Run the letter through a spell checker and a grammar checker before sending it in.

2. Keep the ranting and raving under control. Construct a logical, well-written argument that gets your point across concisely. Leave out the ad hominem attacks against the bill's author.
Old 05-04-2005, 9:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Also, think about the point you're making, and to whom... I think it's vitally important to write to the anti-gun representatives, so they know that there are people (especially constituents!) who don't agree with them. The more people who write them, the greater the chance they might vote correctly in order to keep their cushy jobs. But, writing to an anti and saying "This bill will effectively ban ammo, or handguns, or whatever!" isn't going to be a big help... they already know that, and like it. Tell them instead about the cost and burden it will put on LEOs. Tell them how it will slow down the investigation of crimes. Make points that they can agree with, and that might help to sway them.

Also, write the pro-gun people, too... thank them for their support of your rights. AB448 was withdrawn because the author got "too many" letters from antis. That tells me that not enough of us wrote supporting it!

And remember... if you write 100 letters, and don't get the result you need to see, that doesn't mean writing is a waste of time... it means you haven't written enough, and that you need to get a few others to join you in writing!

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-03-2005, 12:00 PM

I have made it a hobby writing my reps and other politicians and have found a system that works very well. I have all of my reps and others addresses in form letters. This makes it very easy and quick to assemble a letter. Here are some quick tips.

1, Snail mail. The best!
Keep it very short and to the point, be polite but firm. A hand written letter is best though I use my PC. Using a business letterhead will make them take more noticed and carry’s a lot more weight. Lastly, go and buy a “CONFIDENTIAL” rubber stamp (in red) and use it in the mid lower left corner of your envelope. This will increase the chance of your letter winding up in the hands of your intended target.

2, Phone line.
This is a no brainier. When I have an issue I grab my list, open a beer, sit on the couch and begin to dial. I do this after 9:00 since all calls are free on my cell phone. You may get a machine but in the morning they do listen and make their notes.

3, Fax.
I always back up my letters with a fax. I do it from my pc, quick and easy. I have all of my Reps and assorted politician's numbers conveniently stored in my fax program.

4, eMail.
I guess if you are too lazy to do 1, 2, & 3 this will have to do. Its about worthless but I guess its better than nothing.

What ever you chose to do JUST DO IT!!! There are a lot of people sitting out there thinking others will carry the cause. These politicians do listen even if they do not agree with you. If we can get enough people to get off there *** and take action things may look brighter.