Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 10-07-2009, 8:21 PM

I like both revolvers and semis. I do know what you mean about the Colts. I shot several pythons and the accuracy and balance on them are pretty great. Think I need to do some more pushups at the gym. I started off hitting everything I wanted,then a few minutes later, my arms got tired and my shots were landing on the floor it seems .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyrlp10 View Post
Before I "expand" (lol,) I'd like to thank you for trying to put this together for other people. It sure would have been helpful for me back in the early 80s where I was trying to keep up with the gun lingo and different disciplines competitive shooting offers. A shooting glossary would have been great!

For me, it was an equipment problem with the semi, so I went to the revolver early on. It was a Ruger Mark II, but I didn't realize the front sight wasn't pinned tight. During the shot, there was just enough movement out there (spin city!) that the end result looked like I couldn't hit the side of a barn. My then husband (now ex - yeehaw!) told me I was pretty useless and blind as a bat.

Pretty depressed at that point in being a lame-o, I tried a revolver (Model 66.) Geez, at 25 yds, I was keeping it in the black. Amazing!

Then I got the bug and started pin shooting. That's when I thought all Colt 1911s were too pretty to lay under glass and had to come home with me.

For now, I'm back to Bullseye. All my target pistols are semis now, but for me, learning the sight picture, squeeze, and proper stance were easier to learn with a revolver. This has helped me enormously on the 50m line.

Best of luck with compiling your tip sheet!

P.S. If you ever shoot at Coyote or Chabot on Range 5, I'll have the donuts ready for you =o)
Old 10-07-2009, 8:40 PM

Default nice thread

I think men forget that women are still women when at the range because of the overwhelming numbers.

A lot of the pointers here (in the thread) are common sense when you think about them. Things you wouldn't do at some NRA benefit would be the same things you wouldn't do at the range.

Don't act like an idiot, swear or swear loudly.

Women like to keep their hands clean, and moisturized. Some have expensive manicures we'd rather not ruin. Keep hand sanitizer (the waterless kind) at the counter, tissue box at arms reach, and put a small bottle of moisturizer in the bathroom or behind the counter for them would be pretty fantastic (taking these out for them at the counter without asking, or bringing along in your bag would be even MORE impressive!).

Have some shooting gloves (small sizes). I have shot some pieces that pinched the hell out of my hand. And while boys might just dismiss it and think, no pain, no gain, girls won't like it.

Don't make fun, or laugh, even if you think she 'gets' you. It's not that we don't have a sense of humor. But between men, the competitive nature can withstand a lot of poor behavior. For a woman, in a strange, loud place, it will certainly make the difference between someone who will shoot again, and someone who won't.

And on the subject of colors... I'm into them. You don't have to push for pink everything, but have them (colors, that is) available, and hanging out in the open, whether it be earmuffs, or red glock! BTW, they exist, I have one, they're ****ing cool! And just for the record. If I had a large or unlimited budget, I wouldn't mind getting a pink Hello Kitty AK or whatever. It matches with my HK (that's Hello Kitty, not Heckler & Koch) T-shirt!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:28 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
Great stuff, almost all of the things I would've said has been mentioned.

Add: Don't hover! Stand back and give her some room, don't be critiquing her stance and skills and make her nervous. Stand a little way behind her, if she needs your help you are close enough to help but not so close to bother her. (Does that make sense?)

I'll think of more to add shortly.
Ditto - don't mess up our hair (hee-hee)
Old 10-08-2009, 11:34 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondAmendmentgirl View Post
I like both revolvers and semis. I do know what you mean about the Colts. I shot several pythons and the accuracy and balance on them are pretty great. Think I need to do some more pushups at the gym. I started off hitting everything I wanted,then a few minutes later, my arms got tired and my shots were landing on the floor it seems .
Don't ever feel that you have to expend all the ammo you've brought to the range. It's fun to destroy stuff once in a while (pumpkin chucking), but as the guys mentioned, the cost of ammunition tends to add up, especially CF ammo.

Even when practicing for a match, I try to put in the simulated time for the courses for fire, but I won't over do the shooting. No use is getting sore and discouraged.

Btw, have you seen what a nice Colt Python is going for these days? Woohoo!
Old 10-08-2009, 3:58 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm all for getting as many Americans into shooting as possible. Firearms are one of the tools that built this country, and people (both women and men) shouldn't be afraid of them. Women are usually a tough crowd to convince when it comes to guns though. This thread has some good suggestions...some things I never would have thought of. Thanks, Megan, for pointing me over here.

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!"
-Chesty Puller-

-Dimitri, I'm sorry they're jamming your radar and flying so low, but they're trained to do it. You know, it's, it's initiative!-

Last edited by Vanguard; 10-09-2009 at 10:33 AM..
Old 10-08-2009, 11:26 PM

Great thread!!! I'm going to take my cousin and her friend to the range soon and need as much info i can get to make it a great experience for them.
Old 10-13-2009, 8:47 AM

So we'd like to get more ladies to the range to enjoy and properly use firearms. How do we do this with other recreational activities, with bikes, jet skis, hiking? Just bring the whole family, and structure the activity to include the needs and body size of the family. Just like any fun family day out, you go together and maybe even enjoy your favorite restaurant on the way back and talk about what you did and learned.

Time, firearms, targets, and a plan can be assembled to fit the needs of any group. Kids too young to shoot can always walk around with one adult while the other adult shoots with the older kids, or stay home/do alternate activity with the other parent. Creativity, a skill which every parent soon masters, is all you need. Kids don't need to spend a lot of time at the range to have a fun time, and as they get older, they'll probably ask you to stay longer. "Fun" targets like soda cans, balloons, water jugs are good, in addition to paper. No to mention the cultural value of caretaking that kids will learn in the way they see the family using the land: Yes, we enjoy shooting outdoors, but we always pick up our trash, and more besides. This and many other positive values flow from shooting.

So even better than bringing Mom to the range is to bring the family.

Formal programs also exist, such as NRA clinics and my favorite, Appleseed rifle clinics.

Shooting heritage should be passed along to the next generation, giving them both technical proficiency and safety. Although most gun owners can teach safe handling, I think it's also true that most gun owners are shaky regarding the basics of shooting technique. It's just because people haven't received any formal instruction, that's just how we're set up in the US, informally for the most part.

But if one of the family members receives instruction in basic technique, it makes a vast difference in the quality of the technical skill imparted to the family. Do include the family in shooting, and make sure you know the fundamentals of form, breathing, trigger pull, etcetera. for the firearms you use.

If you structure shooting to include the family, you'll include Mom too. An activity that's fun will be looked forward to; so if the family isn't having fun shooting, adjust something.

Ladies want to know why you're asking them to do or not do something, so be prepared to have reasons underpinning everything you ask them to do. I strongly encourage the 'teacher' to get basic, formal instruction (I don't care how long you've been shooting) before teaching another person. Otherwise, the student will be nonplussed after the tenth "I don't know".

As a life time shooter, but very recently formally-instructed shooter, I know of what I speak. Get qualified, and then spread the good word.
Old 10-13-2009, 1:31 PM
Veteran Member

I've known a few really good male shooters, and they're the ones to always say women are better shooters than men. Why? Because we women listen well to good instruction. Plus we don't have that damned male ego that says, I know what I'm doing.

Tell any woman you're teaching that. After a few minutes she'll prove you right.

Honestly I think it's really because we like being precise with tools. As well as being good listeners.

"Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
They've need to show that they can think at all;
Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden
Old 10-13-2009, 7:41 PM

I think this is a great idea.

Some women might not be intimidated by the size of the gun at all so make sure you let them know that it's not the caliber of the gun that matters but the accuracy they will be able to have and their ability to control it. For some women a .45 is nothing but for others a .22 will be plenty.

The comfort of the weapon is important too. I have larger palms for a woman and I can be picky about how it feels in my hands. I prefer a lot of S&W's for this reason.

Make sure the basics are gone through prior to getting to the range. Loading the weapon, safety, how to hold it, how to use the sights, how to stand, and what to do when all shots have been fired. Sometimes not knowing the little things can be intimidating.

I think the most important thing is to make it fun. Music, targets, gear, pictures can all be good for making the day.
Old 10-13-2009, 7:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartz21 View Post
I think this is a great idea.

Some women might not be intimidated by the size of the gun at all so make sure you let them know that it's not the caliber of the gun that matters but the accuracy they will be able to have and their ability to control it. For some women a .45 is nothing but for others a .22 will be plenty.
Then, there are ones like masameet, who ride their bike hundreds of miles, camping with a bunch of people she just met and not thinking twice about sitting down behind the trigger of a 50BMG.
Old 10-14-2009, 8:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Then, there are ones like masameet, who ride their bike hundreds of miles, camping with a bunch of people she just met and not thinking twice about sitting down behind the trigger of a 50BMG.
You're so awesome, Greg!

And easily one of the best male shooters I've ever met.

Quote:
... For some women a .45 is nothing but for others a .22 will be plenty ....
Well ... As a gal who went from a .22 Buckmark to a 1911 in a matter of months, I can tell you the recoil of a .45 is frickin' scary. Took me a while not to anticipate and flinch.

"Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
They've need to show that they can think at all;
Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden
Old 10-14-2009, 8:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by masameet View Post
You're so awesome, Greg!

And easily one of the best male shooters I've ever met.

Well ... As a gal who went from a .22 Buckmark to a 1911 in a matter of months, I can tell you the recoil of a .45 is frickin' scary. Took me a while not to anticipate and flinch.
You need to meet more male shooter then!

As for anticipation recoil, it's not just a girlie thing! For the life of me, I can't not anticipate recoil when shooting my .44mag or bigger handguns. Or, maybe I'm just in touch with my feminine side.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:32 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:

She's my hero!
Old 10-14-2009, 1:50 PM

such good information here... anyone else want to contribute?

this weekend I'm going to take a crack at turning this info into two quick-guides:
1) one for how to get women started shooting
2) one for beginning women shooters themselves

any additional thoughts welcomed...
Megan
Old 10-14-2009, 1:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Megan,

Early on in this thread I mentioned having a magazine geared towards women shooters. I can not find it. I did manage to scrounge up a Jrs shooters magazine though. I also found a couple of other USA Shooting team publications featuring women shooters but, I'm not sure if those would help you. If you want them, let me know and I'll get them to you though.
Old 10-14-2009, 2:21 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Megan,

Early on in this thread I mentioned having a magazine geared towards women shooters. I can not find it. I did manage to scrounge up a Jrs shooters magazine though. I also found a couple of other USA Shooting team publications featuring women shooters but, I'm not sure if those would help you. If you want them, let me know and I'll get them to you though.
I found a womens shooting mag (actually, Angie found it) at a gun shop in AZ a while back. I think it's laying around my room somewhere.

If I remember correctly, it's one of the publications put out by the SAF.

Actually.... Looks like I found it:

http://www.womenshooters.com/
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 10-14-2009, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Megan,

yes thanks!
PM inbound
megan
Old 10-14-2009, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
I found a womens shooting mag (actually, Angie found it) at a gun shop in AZ a while back. I think it's laying around my room somewhere.

If I remember correctly, it's one of the publications put out by the SAF.

Actually.... Looks like I found it:

http://www.womenshooters.com/
going there soon as I'm off duty!
thanks, megan
Old 10-16-2009, 8:13 AM
Well used Member
CGN Contributor

Default Here's my .02 on the matter.

Since I mentor for the Women On Target program here in San Diego, I thought I'd throw out some suggestions for the guys. Remember, safety is lesson #1 and you should be stressing it throughout the lesson.

1. Brush your teeth and take a shower. No one likes to be crowded by a smelly oaf. As a matter of fact, please do this any way.

2. Always ask before you touch your student. You don't know her background or the reasons she wants to learn to shoot. You don't want to make her uncomfortable. Plus, it's just common courtesy. I usually ask for permission right at the start of the lesson. Then I let them know I'm about to adjust their grip, or whatever, right before I do it. This way they know it is part of the lesson and that I'm not getting fresh with them.

3. I usually explain the logic behind a concept as I'm demonstrating it. Women are excellent communicators. If you do a good job of explaining they will pick it up much faster. Visual cues backed with verbal ones are a winning combination.

4. Most women want to know why something is to be done a certain way. Be ready to explain the logic behind it. This instills another level of comfort with the activity and helps cement the concept in their mind. Besides, you should know the reasons behind what you're doing.

5. Correct only as needed. Micro managing isn't appreciated by anyone. Unless her actions are unsafe, wait until she is done with the current string of fire to correct a problem. You should be standing back and to the left of a shooter. This allows you to see what is going on and be able to quickly step forward and take control if needed without crowding your student.

6. If they are learning on a semi auto, load one shoot one then load two shoot two. Once you are confident they can handle it, give them a full mag. This applies to all new shooters regardless of sex. Nothing will scare off new shooters like an uncontrolled burst of fire.

7. Give them a chance to ask questions along the way. You'd be surprised at the things they will ask that you never would have thought of. I usually finish an explanation of a concept with, "Do you have any questions?"
This allows them to ask about parts that may be unclear to them. Be prepared to paraphrase. Sometimes people don't understand something on the first go round or your explanation wasn't all it could have been. Encourage questions.

8. I've found that some women just can't seem to grasp how hard they should be holding the gun. Just replace their support hand for your own. Then they can get a tactile impression of just how hard they should be holding the firearm by how hard you're squeezing their hand. Also, you can have them hold steady and show them how much rearward pressure the support hand is supposed to be applying. This is much easier than saying 60/40 or 70/30 etc.

9. Feelings are important. If they don't feel good about what they are doing or don't feel comfortable, they will not do it again. Ask them if they are having fun. Ask them if they have any concerns. Now is the time to address these issues. Do this often. Tell them it is okay to be nervous at the start. Reassure them along the way. Tell them when they are doing something right, not just when they make a mistake. You'd be amazed at how much this simple step will increase their enjoyment of the activity. Don't be patronizing! They already have a daddy and you're not it.

10. Be polite. You need to be firm as an instructor but, you still need to be polite. Remember, no one likes dealing with a *****.

That sums up most of it. As far as caliber goes, once they show confidence with a .22 I make the offer of a larger caliber. As long as they are happy, I'll keep offering to step it up. I let them know that they can go back at any time. The idea is to let them explore their comfort zone with various firearms. Most like to stick with the .22 or a 9mm but, a few have ramped right up to .45 and beyond. It really depends on the shooter.

Oh, save the politics for after the lesson. They seem to be much more receptive once they have seen how much fun firearms can be.

ETA: Also, teach them the high ready position and encourage its use when their arms get tired.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--Plato

Last edited by taloft; 10-16-2009 at 8:28 AM..
Old 10-16-2009, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taloft View Post
Since I mentor for the Women On Target program here in San Diego, I thought I'd throw out some suggestions for the guys. .
really really nice list, thank you for contributing.
I will be talking with you about your existing program too... how to feed it.

megan
Old 10-16-2009, 3:01 PM

I subscribed to Women & Guns for a number of years, until I decided to simplify and cut back on the magazines coming into the household. Good magazine as I recall, lots of articles about CCW, gun and gun product reviews, and women involved in different shooting organizations (cowboy action, defensive). They also have a forum.

And no, I am not the pax from that forum.
Old 10-21-2009, 9:23 PM

this is a great thread. my wife and i started shooting at the same time. we took one of those beginner courses together for my birthday. and since day one, she was a better shot than me. as a matter of fact, we went again last night and she consistently gets her shots within an inch of the black. last night, one of her targets the black part was completely blown off the target. meanwhile, i'm happy when i hit the paper.

i'd be a liar if i said that it doesn't sting a little, but to be honest, i couldn't be prouder and happier. i think there's a lot of good input on this thread because i know that she enjoys shooting more because she can see results.

i also agree with megan that explaining the scenarios in which she would need to know how to handle a gun is really important. after the shooting course, i told my wife that i wanted to get a gun for sport and home protection. i also told her that i would not get one unless she agreed to get comfortable and competent with it together. at first, she was reluctant but when we started talking about scenarios, her "maternal instincts" (in quotes because we don't have kids) and/or paranoia took over and did the rest.

of the seven times i've gone to the range, she's gone with me 4. the only hurdle left for us, is not the desire, but the actual and real fear of the gun . . . sound, flash, recoil. every time we go, it takes her about 15 shots for her to get comfortable. for the first shot, she usually has to pick up and put the gun down on average 5 times. in my situation, i just try to be patient because i'd hate for her to not enjoy shooting. i just tell her to step back and relax . . . that she doesn't have to rush but she also has nothing to be afraid of. i try to get her to just grip it and rip it but i think that's going to take some time.

i'd defintely like a copy of anything you put together and if you need another set of eyes, i'd be happy to proofread (since my job also involves a lot of writing, boring writing, but writing nonetheless).
Old 10-22-2009, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodoostain View Post
this is a great thread. my wife and i started shooting at the same time. we took one of those beginner courses together for my birthday. and since day one, she was a better shot than me. as a matter of fact, we went again last night and she consistently gets her shots within an inch of the black. last night, one of her targets the black part was completely blown off the target. meanwhile, i'm happy when i hit the paper.

i'd be a liar if i said that it doesn't sting a little, but to be honest, i couldn't be prouder and happier. i think there's a lot of good input on this thread because i know that she enjoys shooting more because she can see results.
nice!
very cool she's doing great, and that you support her, very cool.
best simple advice I can give you is 1) slow down, 2) breathe, 3) find your sight picture, 4) squeeeeeze the trigger slowly, 5) wait for the gun to fire.
I started out with a lot of anticipation of noise and recoil and that made me jerk the trigger and react. as I get more skilled, the advice hasn't changed much... same rules, just finer adjustments. my first really good day of handgun shooting happened because my coach was standing right behind my left ear saying "slow down, breathe, squeeeeeze, slow down, breathe, squeeeeze".

Quote:
of the seven times i've gone to the range, she's gone with me 4. the only hurdle left for us, is not the desire, but the actual and real fear of the gun . . . sound, flash, recoil. every time we go, it takes her about 15 shots for her to get comfortable. for the first shot, she usually has to pick up and put the gun down on average 5 times. in my situation, i just try to be patient because i'd hate for her to not enjoy shooting. i just tell her to step back and relax . . . that she doesn't have to rush but she also has nothing to be afraid of. i try to get her to just grip it and rip it but i think that's going to take some time.
women need to take their time getting there, once she's comfortable she'll start firing faster. we just don't like to feel out of control with something that could be dangerous.

going to the range at least once a week will help. we tend to lose confidence rapidly between experiences until we've really built up a base. more frequent trips lets us build on last sessions experience, instead of having to retrace that ground. at least 2xWeek works well, 1x will do, but more than that and we lose confidence.

what are you shooting? if she's having trouble getting ready for that first shot and having a lot of reaction to the flash and bang, you might want to try renting something with less horsepower... a couple of hundred rounds of 22 in a couple of weeks is a big help. we get to pay attention to the rest of the experience (handling the gun, getting the sight picture, firing) without the surprise of the bang and recoil, it's less to track and process and manage. after some 22 shooting, then switch to something bigger. can do both in the same day, or maybe do a couple of weeks of 22 only then switch back.

Quote:
i'd defintely like a copy of anything you put together and if you need another set of eyes, i'd be happy to proofread (since my job also involves a lot of writing, boring writing, but writing nonetheless).
I'll call on you for that soon as it's ready, thanks!
megan
Old 10-22-2009, 11:09 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by taloft View Post
Since I mentor for the Women On Target program here in San Diego, I thought I'd throw out some suggestions for the guys. Remember, safety is lesson #1 and you should be stressing it throughout the lesson.

1. Brush your teeth and take a shower. No one likes to be crowded by a smelly oaf. As a matter of fact, please do this any way.

2. Always ask before you touch your student. You don't know her background or the reasons she wants to learn to shoot. You don't want to make her uncomfortable. Plus, it's just common courtesy. I usually ask for permission right at the start of the lesson. Then I let them know I'm about to adjust their grip, or whatever, right before I do it. This way they know it is part of the lesson and that I'm not getting fresh with them.

3. I usually explain the logic behind a concept as I'm demonstrating it. Women are excellent communicators. If you do a good job of explaining they will pick it up much faster. Visual cues backed with verbal ones are a winning combination.

4. Most women want to know why something is to be done a certain way. Be ready to explain the logic behind it. This instills another level of comfort with the activity and helps cement the concept in their mind. Besides, you should know the reasons behind what you're doing.

5. Correct only as needed. Micro managing isn't appreciated by anyone. Unless her actions are unsafe, wait until she is done with the current string of fire to correct a problem. You should be standing back and to the left of a shooter. This allows you to see what is going on and be able to quickly step forward and take control if needed without crowding your student.

6. If they are learning on a semi auto, load one shoot one then load two shoot two. Once you are confident they can handle it, give them a full mag. This applies to all new shooters regardless of sex. Nothing will scare off new shooters like an uncontrolled burst of fire.

7. Give them a chance to ask questions along the way. You'd be surprised at the things they will ask that you never would have thought of. I usually finish an explanation of a concept with, "Do you have any questions?"
This allows them to ask about parts that may be unclear to them. Be prepared to paraphrase. Sometimes people don't understand something on the first go round or your explanation wasn't all it could have been. Encourage questions.

8. I've found that some women just can't seem to grasp how hard they should be holding the gun. Just replace their support hand for your own. Then they can get a tactile impression of just how hard they should be holding the firearm by how hard you're squeezing their hand. Also, you can have them hold steady and show them how much rearward pressure the support hand is supposed to be applying. This is much easier than saying 60/40 or 70/30 etc.

9. Feelings are important. If they don't feel good about what they are doing or don't feel comfortable, they will not do it again. Ask them if they are having fun. Ask them if they have any concerns. Now is the time to address these issues. Do this often. Tell them it is okay to be nervous at the start. Reassure them along the way. Tell them when they are doing something right, not just when they make a mistake. You'd be amazed at how much this simple step will increase their enjoyment of the activity. Don't be patronizing! They already have a daddy and you're not it.

10. Be polite. You need to be firm as an instructor but, you still need to be polite. Remember, no one likes dealing with a *****.

That sums up most of it. As far as caliber goes, once they show confidence with a .22 I make the offer of a larger caliber. As long as they are happy, I'll keep offering to step it up. I let them know that they can go back at any time. The idea is to let them explore their comfort zone with various firearms. Most like to stick with the .22 or a 9mm but, a few have ramped right up to .45 and beyond. It really depends on the shooter.

Oh, save the politics for after the lesson. They seem to be much more receptive once they have seen how much fun firearms can be.

ETA: Also, teach them the high ready position and encourage its use when their arms get tired.

Excellent post, thank you. Wish you were teaching classes in my area when I was struggling with the basics 29 years ago.

Oh, and I wish my ex took your first point seriously!
Old 10-22-2009, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict

This thread should be a sticky. Excellent info all around, info that I'm sure many guys ( like myself ) were looking for.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:28 PM
CGN Contributor

From bden's wife...

First, this is a pretty cool thread and since I've only go shooting on rare occasions there are some practical tips I'd recommend..

Don't set-up next to someone with a loud gun, and definitely not to the right. I've had a neighbors brass end up hitting me a few times, which made me jump every time he shot the rest of the trip.

Particularly the first couple of times at the range, when they are ready to leave, it's time to leave. If you're tired or bored of shooting and aren't interested or knowledgable about guns, a gun range can very quickly turn into a less than stellar experience, even when the shooting itself was fun. Plus, guns can get heavy quickly when you haven't shot before or don't shoot often.

With the last tip.. I usually bring a book or a magazine to the range with me, so when I get tired of shooting I have something to do if bden wants to keep going. This works out really well for both of us, so if someone wants to bring something else to do - let them!

Another tip, offer to load the magazine. I can get about 7-8 bullets in the magazine and then my fingers are just too weak. With our new magazines I'm lucky if I can get 5 in. (He's doing stuff to break in the new mag, but until then...)

Definitely agree with other folks tips on using shoot'n'see. I hate using anything other than those.

We recently got a shotgun and have been trap shooting. I love it, but do whatever you can to soften the recoil. We have recoil pad and I still can't do it as much as I'd like.

Last thing two things I can think of.. have water or soda with you and try to pick a day or time when the range will be slow.
Be like me...I own over 100 AR mags I got before the ban set in. Hell, I bought a ton of other magazines as well...I can throw hicap mags on the floor and swim in them.
Liberals want my guns, conservatives want my porn. I'll part with neither.
Old 12-04-2009, 3:10 PM

^^ Good tips! HalveNaught's wife is going out Sunday to shoot, she hasn't gone since she was a little girl so these will all come in handy.

"Recoil."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I haven't slept since I woke up and found out my whole life was a lie!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You never know where you stand until you know that you won't run away.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:16 PM

Hi-new to the forum (just purchased my first pistol-9mm 1911 Springfield!!!) and haven't read all 7 pages of posts, but wanted to add what my experiences have been taking new shooters out for the first time. (I've been shooting since I was a kid, so not my personal experiences but being with friends at their first time to the range) We started with a .22 rifle, bolt action-one round at a time. the rifle was always stationary on the table, we didn't even attempt to teach them how to hold it standing up. then we moved to a .22 single action revolver to reduce the risk of accidental miss-fire or handling. then finally to a .22 pistol (Browning Buckmark) with only 1 or 2 rounds at a time.

I got a friend of mine who was TERRIFIED of guns to go shooting with us, and doing it this way was really great for her. She could shoot the rifle, but not have to handle it too much (pick it up), then she could try the small-ish revolver that didn't seem as intimidating as the pistol and with only one round at a time a safer choice for a first handgun experience. And after she was ready, we moved over to the pistol, but only 1 or 2 rounds at a time. After she was shooting pretty well with the pistol we gave her a 9mm M&P-1 round only. After she shot it, the recoil of the stronger round shocked her so much that she was finished and didn't want anything else to do with the 9mm.

Us ladies are so different in our reactions to guns, some may love a .45 pistol right away, others just want a gentle approach like we gave my friend. But either way, if it's too intimidating or the gun is too big it will most likely turn them off for good.

I shot a .45 1911 a while back (with what I suspect was a pretty heavy home-load) but even with my experience shooting (not afraid of recoil-I LOVE shotguns) I was pretty intimidated by the kick that .45 gave me. It wasn't fun for me at that point, it felt like I was fighting with the gun instead of having fun shooting. So for someone who isn't afraid of guns to have a .45 pistol feel way too intimidating at first, imagine giving that to a new woman shooter for the first time! Forget it!

Thanks for letting my put my 2 cents in!

Addition:
my Sis-who is no stranger to hunting with shotguns and rifles was flinching so bad (in anticipation of the recoil) when she first tried to shoot at .45 pistol that she hit the ground and broke the target stand!

Last edited by FreedomMom; 12-04-2009 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: addition to post
Old 12-04-2009, 10:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

just tell them that it is expensive and if they start shooting, they will drive their husbands into the poor house

the ranges will be overrun with women

:shrugs: it works for everything else

Last edited by five.five-six; 12-04-2009 at 10:24 PM..
Old 12-04-2009, 10:52 PM

Update:

So it's been a couple months that my wife and I have been going to the range. I think she on average went with me, every other time that I went. We started her on 9mm and at one point, she was so jumpy with the flash and sound that I suggested she shoot .22lr until she's a little more comfortable.

She didn't want to do this because she was afraid that she would never want to go back to 9mm if she got comfortable with the .22lr. As a result, we worked to help her overcome her fear. My one goal was to get her to enjoy going shooting, so anytime she said she was done for the day, we would wrap it up and go home.

In anycase, two things that helped her overcome the fear of the bang and the flash . . . first, having her spend less time actually trying to aim and having her just pull the trigger 3-4 times with the muzzle pointed at the target, with minimal time between shots. second, having her try a .40s&w right after a 9mm, so she could see that there is not a huge difference between rounds.

today was the first day that she truly enjoyed shooting i think. until today, she just went with me because i liked it. but today, she really hogged the lane. made me happy to see her overcome her fear. now we really need another gun, so we don't have to share a lane.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

http://corneredcat.com/Men/wifehateguns.aspx

Thought this was great!
Old 12-26-2009, 9:14 PM
C3 Leader

Thanks for the article -- I had to smile.

In a way, that would work for the husbands out there who aren't into shooting so much. I'm lucky that mine offers to always clean my guns after a match, but with the exception of a gun being the tool of his trade, he could care less about all the competitions I lose myself in.

He is supportive of me, but I know that he rather be on the water while I'm sloshing through the mud and trying to squeeze instead of jerk in 35 mph winds. Fortunately, I get my match schedule for the year as he does for bass tournaments. It's not even Jan 2010, and we both know where we're going to be on the weekends.

He shoots with me when he's not fishing, and I fish with him when I'm not shooting. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed at this point that he doesn't decide that we should squeeze in another competition sport although I think I really like the idea of learning how to drive like a cop
Old 12-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

Oh boy, then you need to buy a little miata or 240sx and go autocross for awhile. Take a couple of precision drivers courses and you can get your fix for driving fast there. That is some of the most fun you can have with your clothes on!! Or get a cheap ninja 500 and do some track days. Thats a blast and cheap to boot.
Old 12-27-2009, 7:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Buy a late model stock and go short track racing!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:35 AM
C3 Leader

Lol... fast cars and guns -- woohoo! My other half is constantly amused by the time I spend on here and the interesting posts that need to be read. Thanks for your input; I think all this activity will keep us young.