Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-18-2009, 6:53 PM

Default I was Put on hold by the Department of Justice

i wasn't sure where to ask my question so since my question has to do with the 30 day waiting period between hand guns i thought i post it here. mods feel free to move to correct spot if that is needed.

so here it is, has anyone ever had a hold put on them from the department of justice while on the 10 day waiting period? i was supposed to pick up my Glock the 22nd of this month and the manager from turners called me today and said i have been put on hold by the department of justice and have to wait to see what happens? could it be that i have bought 5 fire arms in the last couple months? cause my record is clean.

it hasn't been 30 days since my last hand gun purchase but i was told since the glock was i private party purchase i didn't have to wait the 30 days, only the 10... two of my fire arms aren't hand guns one is a rifle and the other is a shotgun...

any have any past experience with this? anyone seen this happen?

NRA MEMBER

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited.
Old 09-18-2009, 6:56 PM

uhm, I was under the impression even if its a PPT, you have to wait 30 between handgun transfers (not long rifle)

but, I've been wrong in the past.

alot.
Old 09-18-2009, 6:57 PM

I think you can PPT multiple handguns within the 30 days. I think its DROS that limited. (Which makes no sense really...then again what in gun laws ever do)

On Edit: or is it register.

[yells at self] stop posting when you don't have anything useful to contribute dummy[/yells at self]
Old 09-18-2009, 6:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic Image View Post
uhm, I was under the impression even if its a PPT, you have to wait 30 between handgun transfers (not long rifle)

but, I've been wrong in the past.

alot.
History does repeat itself
Old 09-18-2009, 6:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible_Dave View Post
I think you can PPT multiple handguns within the 30 days. I think its DROS that limited. (Which makes no sense really...then again what in gun laws ever do)
Correct,

There is no 1/30 day rule for PPT transactions. Only new gun transfers from a FFL have to abide. The only exemption I know to this rule is the city of Los Angeles where the 1/30 rule applies to all transactions.

There are various reasons you may have been put on hold, any unpaid tickets/child support numerous other little things. You should contact the DoJ directly and ask them, many times it may be nothing more than a similar name mess up.

and

If you're in a survival movie and the hot blond twists her ankle and can't walk, you damn well figure a way to carry her. If it's a dude, you shake his hand and say "best of luck".

Last edited by Vin496; 09-18-2009 at 7:02 PM..
Old 09-18-2009, 6:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1320 View Post
i wasn't sure where to ask my question so since my question has to do with the 30 day waiting period between hand guns i thought i post it here. mods feel free to move to correct spot if that is needed.

so here it is, has anyone ever had a hold put on them from the department of justice while on the 10 day waiting period? i was supposed to pick up my Glock the 22nd of this month and the manager from turners called me today and said i have been put on hold by the department of justice and have to wait to see what happens? could it be that i have bought 5 fire arms in the last couple months? cause my record is clean.

it hasn't been 30 days since my last hand gun purchase but i was told since the glock was i private party purchase i didn't have to wait the 30 days, only the 10... two of my fire arms aren't hand guns one is a rifle and the other is a shotgun...

Probably a mistake or a minor problem. You will have to give them a call on Monday.
Old 09-18-2009, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane916 View Post
History does repeat itself
yep.

but I have you people to kick my ***** and straighten me out.
Old 09-18-2009, 7:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin496 View Post
Correct,

There is no 1/30 day rule for PPT transactions. Only new gun transfers from a FFL have to abide. The only exemption I know to this rule is the city of Los Angeles where the 1/30 rule applies to all transactions.
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the City of Los Angeles, even PPTs can only occure once every 30 days. So, it really depends where the PPT is occuring and what, if any, local laws may apply. In this case, the OP probably is not PPTing it at the Reseda Turner's so, it is probably something else. Of course, there could be other local laws in the municipality where the PPT is occuring which could restrict him to one handgun every 30 days.
Old 09-18-2009, 7:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the City of Los Angeles, even PPTs can only occure once every 30 days. So, it really depends where the PPT is occuring and what, if any, local laws may apply. In this case, the OP probably is not PPTing it at the Reseda Turner's so, it is probably something else. Of course, there could be other local laws in the municipality where the PPT is occuring which could restrict him to one handgun every 30 days.
What's wrong? Your agreeing with me.

and

If you're in a survival movie and the hot blond twists her ankle and can't walk, you damn well figure a way to carry her. If it's a dude, you shake his hand and say "best of luck".
Old 09-18-2009, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Correct,

There are various reasons you may have been put on hold, any unpaid tickets/child support numerous other little things. You should contact the DoJ directly and ask them, many times it may be nothing more than a similar name mess up.

i don't have any tickets pending that i know of, i had a ticket for a California roll but i plead not guilty and the officer didn't show for the trial so it was dismissed.. prior to that i have be clean of tickets for a couple years... i had a background check less than 30 days ago for my last handgun and everything was fine? i wounder what happened in between.. i dont have any kids either... i hope its nothing big that is gonna delay me getting the glock much further...

NRA MEMBER

-Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-18-2009, 7:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
What's wrong? Your agreeing with me.
No we did not. In the City of Los Angeles (and possibly other places as well), there is a one handgun per 30 day law that INCLUDES PPTs. I know the state law exempts PPTs but, city and county laws can and are different.
Old 09-18-2009, 7:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
No we did not. In the City of Los Angeles (and possibly other places as well), there is a one handgun per 30 day law that INCLUDES PPTs. I know the state law exempts PPTs but, city and county laws can and are different.

A good possibility is that the FFL filled out the DROS wrong and did not clasify it as a PPT. If this is the case, the FFL (Turner's) should pay any fees associated with re-DROSing it.
Old 09-18-2009, 7:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Again reread my post. We said the same thing.

Quote:
The only exemption I know to this rule is the city of Los Angeles where the 1/30 rule applies to all transactions.

and

Old 09-18-2009, 7:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Sorry to drag it a bit off topic, but if there is pre-emption of local ordinance by state law, how could LA City enforce 1/30 on PPT?

Just curious, because it seems to me that if that is the case it needs to be litigated.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 09-18-2009, 7:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
A good possibility is that the FFL filled out the DROS wrong and did not clasify it as a PPT. If this is the case, the FFL (Turner's) should pay any fees associated with re-DROSing it.
+1

Very likely.

and

Old 09-18-2009, 7:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Again reread my post. We said the same thing.
So, sometimes I just can't read. At least now, everyone will know about the stupidity of LA's law makers.
Old 09-18-2009, 8:55 PM

Quote:
+1

Very likely.
another +1. A friend was delayed because the FFL made the mistake .
Old 09-18-2009, 9:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I had mine put on hold once, because my Drivers license was put on hold due to an unpaid parking ticket. I paid the ticket, called them and they released it.
Old 09-18-2009, 9:07 PM
Veteran Member

Question, did you use your SS# on the form? If not they may be checking you out to make sure you are you. some here don't use theirs and have no problem, I do use mine and (knock on wood) have not had any problems

Thieves are the lowest form of life out there, except for liberal politicians, of course, but that's redundant.
Old 09-18-2009, 9:09 PM
Veteran Member

If the glock was a PPT, it could be a problem with the Glock. I had to wait 8 months on a "delay" to find out it was stolen.
Old 09-19-2009, 2:08 PM

I have had to wait for doj on a pistol purchase. two additional weeks. freaked me out. I think they do it to dig a little deeper on a lottery basis.

every 30 or 100 calls they put on hold for there own reason and research. I got this info from the employee at who sold me the pisstol. He claimed it happens fairly often and has never had someone denied durring a delay.

sill weird when it happens to you.

"The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday." Unkown
Old 09-19-2009, 3:22 PM

I have never had that happen to me, thankfully the question regarding psychedilc medicines is a simple yes or no answer that doesn't involve , the DEA.
Old 09-19-2009, 3:46 PM

i suspect that the dros was not entered as a ppt... call ca-batf asap on mon it could be a multitude of innocent things. ca 10 day is a joke.. i have seen holds come in after the gun was picked up after 10 days.... ooops! and a personal experience of getting a phone call from my wife 10 min after leaving a gun shop asking why Albany co had sent a notice i had a no bail warrant for my arrest i almost **** my self and the dros went through no hold or questions asked. the warrant was erroneous and i called and had it fixed up, but wow that was close I was also told by j-r guns not to put my s/n on the dros cause if there is a problem they will call and ask for it but other wise it is not even entered into the dros program.. and a personal tip get a CA ID card it is not subject to holds based on the validity of your DL i.e. tickets and the like .... also hound batf until you get and answer..
Old 09-19-2009, 9:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1320 View Post

Your identity has been stolen and you now have multiple felony warrants.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Is it a PPT or a consignment?
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 09-20-2009, 8:01 AM
Veteran Member

Been there myself and it sucks worrying why they put a hold on you. A quick call to DOJ will resolve it. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-20-2009, 9:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It's 30 days between new handgun purchases, PPT's aren't subject to the 30 day rule.

It's happened to me a couple of times when I lost track of new v. PPT purchases.
- Jeff Cooper

Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos
Old 09-20-2009, 5:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Strong View Post
It's 30 days between new handgun purchases, PPT's aren't subject to the 30 day rule.

Read the whole thread! Sometimes, PPTs are subject to the 30 day rule!
Old 09-20-2009, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
If the glock was a PPT, it could be a problem with the Glock. I had to wait 8 months on a "delay" to find out it was stolen.
i hope not.. i bought it from a fellow cal gunner that seems to be a honest guy..

NRA MEMBER

-Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-20-2009, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega View Post
Been there myself and it sucks worrying why they put a hold on you. A quick call to DOJ will resolve it. Let us know how it turns out.
yeah it sucks.. im gonna have to call tomorrow and see whats wrong.. any one have the contact info? im gonna google it meanwhile.

NRA MEMBER

-Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-20-2009, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketoshoot View Post
Question, did you use your SS# on the form? If not they may be checking you out to make sure you are you. some here don't use theirs and have no problem, I do use mine and (knock on wood) have not had any problems
i did put it on the form...

NRA MEMBER

-Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-20-2009, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodrat View Post
I have had to wait for doj on a pistol purchase. two additional weeks. freaked me out. I think they do it to dig a little deeper on a lottery basis.

every 30 or 100 calls they put on hold for there own reason and research. I got this info from the employee at who sold me the pisstol. He claimed it happens fairly often and has never had someone denied durring a delay.

sill weird when it happens to you.
thanks for your input.. makes me feel a little better... eve though i dont think i should be worried..

NRA MEMBER

-Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-20-2009, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob76 View Post
Your identity has been stolen and you now have multiple felony warrants.
not so funny cause this happen to me a couple years ago someone used my Drivers license info and got a ticket and it put a warrant out since i never knew about it... my license was even suspended for a long time and i had no clue driving like nothing... finally found out and went to court and took care of it... it was off my record... i still dont know who could have done this.. i was pissed and i still worry it can happen again..

NRA MEMBER

-Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-21-2009, 11:01 AM

Let us know what they say when you finally get it worked out. Has never happened to me......
Old 09-21-2009, 11:13 AM

A friend got a hold put on his rifle 10 day a few months ago. He got arrested when he was 19 for felony vandalism. He pleaded down to a misdemeanor and went on with his life. He has legally purchased 100's of firearms in the last 30 years. (He collects winchasters.) When he got notified of his hold, we were flabberghasted. After calling the DOJ they informed him it was because of this felony charge. IT took about 30 seconds to clear it up and he got his rifle. Little things can pop up that are totally harmless. Bigger things that you should probably know about can pop up too. Call the DOJ and find out.
Old 09-21-2009, 1:26 PM

One way to avoid the name mishap is to list your SSN on the DROS. It is not required but it does help positively identify you.
Old 09-21-2009, 1:49 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My brother got put on hold once. It was resolved.
Old 09-21-2009, 3:08 PM
Veteran Member

CADOJ 916-263-4887 or 916-227-3752.
Good luck.
Old 09-21-2009, 3:15 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

I was put on hold. It was because I had purchased a few AR's and flipped 4 or 5 in a relatively short amount of time. I was not gouging, but taking advantage of my insight that things were going to explode post election. I got put on hold for the last sale but it was resolved with one phone call and they basically told me I can't sell a gun for the next six months but I could buy as many as I want.
Old 09-21-2009, 5:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Read the whole thread! Sometimes, PPTs are subject to the 30 day rule!
Wasn't aware of the LA City limits - thanks.
- Jeff Cooper

Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos