Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-15-2009, 9:55 PM

Default Which is the better graphics card?

Nvidia Geforce GT 130 512mb

or

ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb

This would be on an IMAC. I want to edit video, play some video games, run window's in addition to snow leopard, use programs like aperture, final cut, and logic express.
Sig P226 Navy on the way
Kimber TLE Rail II 1911
.12 gauge Huglu over/under

Last edited by monstertodd; 09-15-2009 at 9:58 PM..
Old 09-15-2009, 10:08 PM

Unless you're playing games or something I don't think you're going to notice a difference with either of them. I think the 4850 might be cheaper . . . The NVIDIA card has NVIDIA's CUDA feature which might be helpful with your video editing software although I don't know if any Mac software is making use of it yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time however.

R
Old 09-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

I'm an nVidia whore myself.

I *hate* the default Catalyst install, and that has carried over into my overall opinion of the cards themselves.

I'd get the GT130. You might be able to find a 200 series card for around 100 if you look around.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike82 View Post
I *hate* the default Catalyst install, and that has carried over into my overall opinion of the cards themselves.
Yes, Catalyst is quite painful (throw Vista x64 into the mix and it gets even worse for some reason). As the OP is on a Mac though I wonder if he'll have to go through any of that? Does ATI even have something like Catalyst for Apple users?

Anyway, I doubt he'll notice a difference between the two cards. If I was him I'd get something quiet rather then something optimized for gaming/3D.

R
Old 09-15-2009, 10:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wait a couple of weeks. The iMac is due for an update soon.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

Nvidia all the way! No drivers conflict. I built two Home Theater PC with them and they played my Blu-Ray and HD-DVD Great
Old 09-15-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Ted View Post
Wait a couple of weeks. The iMac is due for an update soon.

Rea hee heallllllly?..........What kind of updates?
Sig P226 Navy on the way
Kimber TLE Rail II 1911
Old 09-15-2009, 11:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I've been gaming for a while now. I remember why Nvidia was always touted as being better than ATI.

For the longest time Nvidia had better driver support than ATI. ATI would never release new drivers after their initial launch and this was terrible in a rapidly developing area such as computer games. Nvidia was on top of things with constant updates and patches for games.

In today's market they both excel at different tasks. Both are good, and you can't go wrong with a high end card. Driver support is a non-issue any more as both companies do the right thing and keep on top of drivers.

Now, if you've never gamed on a 3dFX card like the Voodoo cards you really missed out. I've never seen graphics and colors like that in my life.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 09-15-2009, 11:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Rea hee heallllllly?..........What kind of updates?
Nothing certain, but Apple has a pattern of announcing new "models" about every six months. Last one for the iMac was in April.

20 months ago, before I was made aware of this pattern, I ordered an 8 core Mac Pro. 15 days later they released an updated model with faster processors and larger hard drives for the same price. I found out that Apple's return and exchange policy was 14 days.

Last edited by Technical Ted; 09-15-2009 at 11:52 PM..
Old 09-15-2009, 11:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Oh, you're buying a new computer?

With the money you save buying a PC you could get another gun...

With the money you save using Open Source Software you could buy yet another gun.

Now, I'm not dissin' the Mac so don't get all uppity on me... I just know the truth..
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 09-16-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locosway View Post
Oh, you're buying a new computer?

With the money you save buying a PC you could get another gun...

With the money you save using Open Source Software you could buy yet another gun.

Now, I'm not dissin' the Mac so don't get all uppity on me... I just know the truth..
Ha ha, yea, you got me. I'm "looking" at a new computer. I bought my last desktop in 2005, and am ready to upgrade. All I've ever owned are PC's, and wanted to try something new. The Imac is very eye catching.

I'll probably take my old desktop and convert into a living room media PC.
Sig P226 Navy on the way
Kimber TLE Rail II 1911
Old 09-16-2009, 11:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Ha ha, yea, you got me. I'm "looking" at a new computer. I bought my last desktop in 2005, and am ready to upgrade. All I've ever owned are PC's, and wanted to try something new. The Imac is very eye catching.

I'll probably take my old desktop and convert into a living room media PC.
The OS is done well on the Mac. When their architecture was so different (PowerPC) I could see the pricing being more. Now they're using Intel chips just like most everyone else. So why pay more? For the image?

Technically you can run OSX on a PC, and you can run Windows on a Mac. You can also run Linux on both. So I really don't see the need for spending the extra money unless you're looking at laptops, which I don't think you are.

For me, I'd buy the hardware and build my own PC. If you don't know how, invite a friend over who does and go from there. It's much more rewarding and fun to do it yourself. You'll also save a ton of money and not get locked into proprietary hardware.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 09-16-2009, 1:39 PM
Veteran Member

What you want is a Hackintosh

http://lifehacker.com/software/hack-...800-321913.php
Old 09-17-2009, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacGlass View Post
For a desktop, yes. My media center computer is a Hackintosh. It's hooked up to my HDTV and plays HD videos quite well. I'm very pleased with it.

--B
Old 09-19-2009, 3:09 AM

Hi,
Right now i am using XFX ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb.It has following features,
1) TeraScale Graphics Engine
2) Unified Superscalar Shader Architecture
3) DDR3 Memory
4) Accelerated Video Tra
5) DirectX 10.1 Support
Thanks for sharing this information.

Last edited by hellonfrank; 09-23-2009 at 10:21 PM..
Old 09-19-2009, 9:26 AM
Veteran Member

If you're using a Mac and think you may want OpenCL support, you're much better off with an NVIDIA product.

NVIDIA is leading the way with OpenCL support and conformance with their software. There's tons of info about this out there if you google it, but here's one link showing how they are enabling developers to work better with regards to OpenCL:

http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.p...=29428&catid=3

If the developers have the tools with one solution, and they don't with another, who's hardware is going to be tested and listed as supported?

You can find GTX 2xx cards well under $200 now as well and they will give more performance if you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:14 AM

Going to write a novel, but here is my opinion:

I am not too fond of Nvidia video cards.

For one, a few years ago I upgrade from an X700Pro AGP to a BFG 7600GS. The 7600GS is of a newer generation. While it was faster, it lacked the 6x AA option. I was used to playing at 6x, but now I was forced to play at 4x (8x or higher killed performance too much). So my image quality was worse than what it was before my upgrade. I hated the jaggies I got at 4x. I liked the 6x option, because it is nice to have when you're really trying to choose your graphic/image quality settings in a game.

The other thing was drivers. When I got my 7600GS 512MB AGP, it was 8 months or so old. Even then, Nvidia still did not have official working drivers for the card. I forgot what the setting was, but you had to switch something in the control panel. One setting videos would not work, the other 3D graphics (games) would not work. So every time you wanted to switch between the two, you had to do this. Which is very annoying. I looked online, and a lot of others had the same issue.

Thankfully, guru3D.com made unofficial drivers that fixed the problem.

Fast forward to 8 months ago, I finally bought a new PC. It has an EVGA GTX260 Superclocked. Nice card, aside from the AA.

There is still no 6x option. For now, I can max all games out at 8x, but the card will eventually get old and I don't want to go all the way down to 4x.

But, even at 8x, while playing at 1680x1050 on a 19 inch widescreen monitor, I can still see jaggies. My brother has almost the exact same setup, but has an ATI HD 4870 and plays at 1280x1024 on a 19 inch normal monitor. At 8x, there are no jaggies.

Hard to compare with the different monitor sizes, but to me, the image quality/AA on ATI cards is seems superior.

Both have had their own driver issues. Since you're on a MAC, I am not sure how driver support and whatnot is.

I have never heard of the GT 130, and can't even find any benchmarks on it.

Looking online, it seems to be a renamed 9600 GSO. That card is slower than the HD 4850, which is faster than the Nvidia 8800/9800GT. So if you are playing games, get the 4850. If not, then the GT 130 will do fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locosway View Post

For me, I'd buy the hardware and build my own PC. If you don't know how, invite a friend over who does and go from there. It's much more rewarding and fun to do it yourself. You'll also save a ton of money and not get locked into proprietary hardware.

This. If you are buying a desktop with gaming in mind, go with a custom build Windows based computer.

Last edited by Flogger23m; 09-19-2009 at 10:17 AM..