Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the reply, Calif. Hunter...I think I have heard about some places up on 395, past Mojave somewhere...I will have to study up on it a bit.

I guess close is a relative term, eh? I don't mind driving a bit, actually, I like driving...and if I make a weekend of it, that'd be even better...I could camp for a couple of days and peruse different spots for jacks.

Do you hunt rabbits, Calif. Hunter? Or what's your game of choice?
Old 07-30-2005, 8:28 AM

While this doesn't help the "where do I hunt jackrabbits in California" cause very much, I thought I'd share my recent hunting experience.

I was in South Dakota last week, and on my first day of hunting prairie dogs with my dad, on a friend's ranch near Oral, we spotted a large jackrabbit dart in front of my dad's truck, while we were driving out of the field. We stopped the truck, I cracked open the passenger door, then used my dad's Trailside (.22LR) pistol to whack it. It was about 25 yards away. It went down with a single shot, but when I walked up to it, it was still suffering, so I put a round into the back of its head. It was huge, about two feet long.

Speaking of the Trailside, here's mine, with Hammerli X-esse grips and 95gr barrel weight:

Old 08-06-2005, 10:48 AM

so, you are killing just for the fun of killing?

excellent.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:48 PM

Search for Carrizo Plains at the site quotd above.
Old 07-30-2005, 8:29 PM

Quote:
are you going to eat them?
I hope not! Those things are nasty this time of year. I've skinned a few in the summer for pelts for a friend who ties fishing flies. After you skin 'em, I've seen very, VERY large maggots start to crawl out of the carcass flesh. At least 3/4 of an inch long. Those things have got to be a major irritant for the rabbit.
Old 06-26-2005, 5:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Auqq:
Wow, Admin...great photos! Never was the saying truer "A picture paints a thousand words".

Now, to the big question, as you were up there taking photos...did you see many jackrabbits? LOL!

That region, Jawbone canyon isn't all that far from me, so it may prove worth the trip. At this point most of the information that I have gotten about the Carrizo Plain Nat'l Monument with regard to jackrabbit populations is so conflicted from one source to another, I may just be better off hunting locally for the time being.

I don't even care if I bag any jacks...I think it'd be great to check out the area up around Jawbone canyon anyway.

Thanks again for the replies, you all!
I don't think you'll have a problem finding jackrabbits there. I wasn't even looking for any and I ran into plenty. That along with chipmunks, and bugs.
Old 06-17-2005, 5:38 AM

http://www.jesseshunting.com/site/cal-rabbit.html

Go there and scroll to bottom of the page.
Old 06-26-2005, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by DingChavez:
http://www.jesseshunting.com/site/cal-rabbit.html

Go there and scroll to bottom of the page.
Just passed my hunter safety refresher course, so am on my way on getting my license. Thanks for the link DingChavez, wealth of info there!
Old 08-04-2005, 4:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by JAFGO.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">are you going to eat them?
I hope not! Those things are nasty this time of year. I've skinned a few in the summer for pelts for a friend who ties fishing flies. After you skin 'em, I've seen very, VERY large maggots start to crawl out of the carcass flesh. At least 3/4 of an inch long. Those things have got to be a major irritant for the rabbit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A little extra protein never hurt anyone!
They are great roasted with a beer.
Ask me how I know.
Old 07-13-2005, 5:27 PM

are you going to eat them?
Old 07-07-2005, 7:31 AM

San Diego county is hopping with rabbits. This must be the peak of their cycle. All of the BLM and forest service lands are good this year.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:03 AM

I have heard that the best bet is up Highway 395, but that is not all that close.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
so, you are killing just for the fun of killing?

excellent.
population control
Old 07-07-2005, 3:19 PM
Veteran Member

Just drive up the 395 around 2-3:00 in the morning and the darn things jump out and try to attack your car tires I swear! Got me two of em one time.

A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned.

-Shepard Booke
Old 06-14-2005, 9:01 PM

Hello everyone, this is my first post here, though, I have lurked off and on for a while. It's good to finally register and join in now!

I am located in northern Los Angeles county and am wanting to get started hunting jackrabbits nearby, but I don't really know of any good areas in which to do so. I am not in a hurry as I would like to wait until autumn, but I am hoping to be able to go scout out some places over the summer.

Any suggestions? Of course, I am not asking for any secret spots, but if anyone here knows of a place where I might be able to bag 1 or 2 jacks without being hassled by other people, I'd really like to know!

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-26-2005, 12:21 AM

Wow, Admin...great photos! Never was the saying truer "A picture paints a thousand words".

Now, to the big question, as you were up there taking photos...did you see many jackrabbits? LOL!

That region, Jawbone canyon isn't all that far from me, so it may prove worth the trip. At this point most of the information that I have gotten about the Carrizo Plain Nat'l Monument with regard to jackrabbit populations is so conflicted from one source to another, I may just be better off hunting locally for the time being.

I don't even care if I bag any jacks...I think it'd be great to check out the area up around Jawbone canyon anyway.

Thanks again for the replies, you all!
Old 06-20-2005, 6:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This is BLM land I'm talking about so I'm assuming it's legal to hunt in this area. Check with the local Rangers or Fish and Game for specifics.

North of Jawbone Canyon in the back country. The rain was good this year and everything is pretty green.

If you want to go to remote places it's best to have an off road vehicle.

Recent pics:
Looking east toward the 14.

I'm pretty sure this is Koehn Lake in the distance from 5400 feet above sea level.

The Piute Mountains in background.

Mountain lion!

Moo!
Old 06-16-2005, 8:34 AM

Jack rabbits, ground squirrels, hogs, deer, elk, quail - they are all fun to hunt.

From what I understand, Jawbone Canyon is often cited as a place to go - a few miles past Mojave on 14 north, I believe.