Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 09-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
Lets fix it.
We're going to need some heavy machinery/tools to lift that gate up plus some super heavy duty hinges to keep that thing from being ripped off in the future. This is in addition to any signs that we're going to put up. Keep in mind that the local ranchers with adjacent properties to the BLM land do use this road to bring water in for their cattle. So fixing the gate might be easy but making sure that all the private land owners that need access have the correct keys to open the locks to get through as needed will probably require the assistance of the BLM rangers.
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?
Old 09-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by domokun View Post
We're going to need some heavy machinery/tools to lift that gate up plus some super heavy duty hinges to keep that thing from being ripped off in the future. This is in addition to any signs that we're going to put up. Keep in mind that the local ranchers with adjacent properties to the BLM land do use this road to bring water in for their cattle. So fixing the gate might be easy but making sure that all the private land owners that need access have the correct keys to open the locks to get through as needed will probably require the assistance of the BLM rangers.
It was pretty heavy duty to begin with and they still ripped it off

I wish they would have gone the easy route and just cut the wire fence 10 feet to the side of the dang thing
Much easier repair

On second thought I wish they would just follow the rules..
Old 09-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

I'm sure we can come up with something. As I said as long as its ok with the rangers
Old 09-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorensen440 View Post
It was pretty heavy duty to begin with and they still ripped it off

I wish they would have gone the easy route and just cut the wire fence 10 feet to the side of the dang thing
Much easier repair

On second thought I wish they would just follow the rules..
Seriously
Old 09-19-2009, 11:30 PM

I'll be in for Oct 17, requested time off from work wayyyyyyy in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpach View Post
Just do what M Sage and others have said to do, they know what theyr talkin about. Just dont urinate in your barrel and expect ur rifle to be ok. My buddy and I recently went shooting and he shot corrosive yugo ammo through his Mosin and figured he could just piss in the barrel and call it a day. Several days later the bolt was rusted shut but I guess the fouling wasnt TOO bad.
Old 09-20-2009, 3:20 AM
Veteran Member

Why repair a gate that jackasses will surely take down again?

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 09-20-2009, 6:22 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Peter Venkman View Post
Why repair a gate that jackasses will surely take down again?
Because that's what good people do, and we're good people. We will help keep society orderly and when there's something wrong that otherwise should be right, we will help keep it right, especially to protect one of our sacred shooting grounds.

Guys, I'm in favor of seeing what we can do to fix the gate. nagorb, if you can weld something, I'll see if the rangers can approve it, this week. What's the extent of your welding expertise? Do you need to be there to do the welding, or can you weld something offsite and bring it in?

Sorensen440, since you were there, do you think fixing the gate is something we could try to do on Oct 17th? It looks heavy as you stated - looks like we have at least a dozen people RSVP'ed for the cleanup, if we had 12 people lifting the gate, you figure we could get something put together?

(You also need to get some image editing software.. hah.. but thanks for the pics)

I appreciate the volunteer spirit here, guys - keep it up!!

ETA - I've just emailed the rangers again to let them know that we want to fix the gate. I'll share the reply here as soon as I get one.

Turby

Last edited by Turbinator; 09-20-2009 at 6:42 AM..
Old 09-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
Because that's what good people do, and we're good people. We will help keep society orderly and when there's something wrong that otherwise should be right, we will help keep it right, especially to protect one of our sacred shooting grounds.

Guys, I'm in favor of seeing what we can do to fix the gate. nagorb, if you can weld something, I'll see if the rangers can approve it, this week. What's the extent of your welding expertise? Do you need to be there to do the welding, or can you weld something offsite and bring it in?

Sorensen440, since you were there, do you think fixing the gate is something we could try to do on Oct 17th? It looks heavy as you stated - looks like we have at least a dozen people RSVP'ed for the cleanup, if we had 12 people lifting the gate, you figure we could get something put together?

(You also need to get some image editing software.. hah.. but thanks for the pics)

ETA - I've just emailed the rangers again to let them know that we want to fix the gate. I'll share the reply here as soon as I get one.

Turby
Hey Turby, see if you can get knucklehead 61 to do the welding. He does an excellent job of welding from what I saw yesterday at Panoche. He would be the go to guy for the heavy duty welding. Some pieces would have to be prefabbed before hand and welded on site.

NRA MEMBER

Originally Posted by ar15barrels
Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
Michael Reagan
Old 09-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBob View Post
Hey Turby, see if you can get knucklehead 61 to do the welding. He does an excellent job of welding from what I saw yesterday at Panoche. He would be the go to guy for the heavy duty welding. Some pieces would have to be prefabbed before hand and welded on site.
I've PM'ed him before about welding, I'll do that now, thanks for the idea.

Turby
Old 09-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Broken....heck the gate was completely off to the side resting against the hill. Someone said it looked like the lock had been shot but I didn't look at it.

Any way to notify the rangers of us coming/gate problems?
Old 09-20-2009, 4:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

BLM said the gate was shot up. From the pics it didn't look shot up. It looks like gate vs. big block, and the big block won.

Not that this excuses such behavior, but this may be a result of BLM and EPA being complete c*ckknockers and shutting down Clear Creek for OHV (and all other) use due to some seriously flawed asbestos "science." Point being it may not be shooters doing this, but OHVers.

Quote:

Turby
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 09-20-2009, 4:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardm View Post
BLM said the gate was shot up. From the pics it didn't look shot up. It looks like gate vs. big block, and the big block won.

Not that this excuses such behavior, but this may be a result of BLM and EPA being complete c*ckknockers and shutting down Clear Creek for OHV (and all other) use due to some seriously flawed asbestos "science." Point being it may not be shooters doing this, but OHVers.
Oh the gate has been shot up a lot. There is nothing up there that hasn't been,. Not sure that was the final blow that brought it down. This gate must weigh in excess of 300 pounds and just to drag it one person can not do. What ever brought this gate down had the ability to move it. Once again I agree with sorensen440 on this and it must have been pulled down.

NRA MEMBER

Michael Reagan
Old 09-21-2009, 3:30 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think it matters who did it; if their actions are going to get Panoche closed, we're all hosed.

Knucklehead 61 got back to me. He can't weld in the field. He'd need the gate brought back to him. No way I can fit that in my car, sorry, guys.

We need a plan b...

Turby
Old 09-21-2009, 3:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn556 View Post
Broken....heck the gate was completely off to the side resting against the hill. Someone said it looked like the lock had been shot but I didn't look at it.

Any way to notify the rangers of us coming/gate problems?
In fact the rangers mentioned it to me that the gate is busted - so they know about it already.

I have already told them that we're going to be onsite. Waiting to see if they'll be ok with us fixing the gate.

Turby
Old 09-21-2009, 5:01 PM
Veteran Member

im like 70% going to be there most like later on the day tho
Old 09-21-2009, 6:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollep3 View Post
im like 70% going to be there most like later on the day tho
well if we are done cleaning up the top we'll be farther back in.

NRA MEMBER

Michael Reagan
Old 09-21-2009, 6:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I don't think it matters who did it; if their actions are going to get Panoche closed, we're all hosed.

Knucklehead 61 got back to me. He can't weld in the field. He'd need the gate brought back to him. No way I can fit that in my car, sorry, guys.

We need a plan b...

Turby

What! Then how about on top of the BMW?..................

We need to put the word out for someone who has a portable welder. I'm sure there must be someone in the area that is a calgunner or a friend of a calgunner.

NRA MEMBER

Michael Reagan
Old 09-21-2009, 7:08 PM
Veteran Member

sounds good to me
Old 09-21-2009, 7:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What! Then how about on top of the BMW?..................

We need to put the word out for someone who has a portable welder. I'm sure there must be someone in the area that is a calgunner or a friend of a calgunner.
How about we all just chip in to buy 100 industrial size JB weld
Old 09-21-2009, 7:22 PM

I'm actually surprised he doesn't have a portable welder with him when he showed up.

What if we created a weak point in the gate? Then when someone wants to break in they don't destroy the entire gate and hopefully one day the rangers catch someone right after they break it. Then hit then with a huge fine.

Downside to creating a weak point is people will just use that to get in the back next summer when it closes.
Old 09-21-2009, 7:25 PM

it sounds stupid but what if we just dug a big ditch about 8-10 foot from the gate? Figure if you've got some chain and the length of a truch in front of the gate and just try and make it so they can't get the momentum they need it might help.
Old 09-21-2009, 9:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
it sounds stupid but what if we just dug a big ditch about 8-10 foot from the gate? Figure if you've got some chain and the length of a truch in front of the gate and just try and make it so they can't get the momentum they need it might help.
I dunno, sounds good at first thought.. I like your creativity and I like the fact that you're trying to help solve the problem. The rangers haven't replied to me yet. Keep the ideas coming!

Turby
Old 09-22-2009, 5:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yeah then lets fill it water and alligators......
Seriously this is not to bad of an idea, wonder how it would go over with the farmers who use the access road? What about making some speed bumps or a series of pot holes / ditches? What ever we do as a deterrent the fact of the matter is that the gate still has to get fixed.

NRA MEMBER

Michael Reagan
Old 09-22-2009, 6:12 AM
Calguns Addict

After reviewing sorensen440's photos the fix is fairley simple. However it would take a torch and portable welder to be done in the field. To make the repair the top plate for the hinge system would have to have a hole cut in it the same size as the pipe on the lower hinge point. Then have a prefabbed section of pipe with a top cap welded on it. Once the gate is lifted into position the new pipe section with the cap is slipped into the top hinge point. Then weld around the cap to the top hinge point. Question now is who has the equipment to do this?

NRA MEMBER

Michael Reagan
Old 09-22-2009, 6:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
After reviewing sorensen440's photos the fix is fairley simple. However it would take a torch and portable welder to be done in the field. To make the repair the top plate for the hinge system would have to have a hole cut in it the same size as the pipe on the lower hinge point. Then have a prefabbed section of pipe with a top cap welded on it. Once the gate is lifted into position the new pipe section with the cap is slipped into the top hinge point. Then weld around the cap to the top hinge point. Question now is who has the equipment to do this?
Brilliant plan - but I don't have the skills or the tools. We'll need someone else to help, please.

Turby
Old 09-22-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Yeah then lets fill it water and alligators......
Seriously this is not to bad of an idea, wonder how it would go over with the farmers who use the access road? What about making some speed bumps or a series of pot holes / ditches? What ever we do as a deterrent the fact of the matter is that the gate still has to get fixed.
The farmers are the one I was wondering about. If they have to drag a horse trailor up there it might not make them too happy. If they're able to get through it it might work.

I also thought about reenforcing the lock so if someone pulls on it, it becomes much stronger. Kind of like a square knot. The gates down at Harvey Bear Ranch have a lever you have to lift in order for the gate to open. You actually have to make sure the gate is completly closed for it to open if that makes sense. Something like this might add resistance to pulling the gate off but still doesn't get past the need of a welder.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Calguns Addict

they should just replace the gate with a solid cable and just replace it when broken

Nothing we are going to do is going to stop someone with time and motivation from destroying it
Old 09-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The farmers are the one I was wondering about. If they have to drag a horse trailor up there it might not make them too happy. If they're able to get through it it might work.

I also thought about reenforcing the lock so if someone pulls on it, it becomes much stronger. Kind of like a square knot. The gates down at Harvey Bear Ranch have a lever you have to lift in order for the gate to open. You actually have to make sure the gate is completly closed for it to open if that makes sense. Something like this might add resistance to pulling the gate off but still doesn't get past the need of a welder.
The broken part was the hinge side not the locking system. They use a chain and pad lock to lock the gate.

NRA MEMBER

Michael Reagan
Old 09-22-2009, 2:01 PM
Veteran Member

All we need is a generator.
Old 09-22-2009, 7:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
All we need is a generator.
Yes and a portable welder and someone who knows what the c*** they're doing. Oh yeah and a torch to cut the hinge pivot point hole.

NRA MEMBER

Michael Reagan
Old 09-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Can you get more information about this gate system at Harvey Bear Ranch? I'll ask around to see if I can borrow a Honda generator for that day but no guarantees.
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?
Old 09-23-2009, 10:28 PM

yeah I'll try and find some pictures or take some next time I'm around there. Up in NV right now and coming down to Hayward Tuesday.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:34 PM

it's kind of like a child lock. It lets the gate close without a problem. In order to open it you have to lift the handle so it's flat and that allows the gate to pass the handle and open. If you try and pull the gate open it hits the handle and won't open.

Imagine a C shape cut out of the gate with the C being drawn away from you. This is where the gate sits when it's closed. It has a little peg that sits in here.
Now there is a handle on a hinge that has a square tab to prevent the gate from opening on its own. You lift the handle attached to the tab and it flattens out so the gate will open past it.
When the gate goes to close it pushes the handle/tab out of the way and the handle/tab springs back so the gate doesn't just hit the back of the C and open back up.

I think anyone who's worked on a ranch knows what I'm talking about. Its probably common around people who work with horses.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

What held the gate closed is still there, its the hinge that was broken. At least that is what it looked like in the pic.
Old 09-24-2009, 5:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
What held the gate closed is still there, its the hinge that was broken. At least that is what it looked like in the pic.
Winner! Give that boy a stuffed animal

NRA MEMBER

Michael Reagan
Old 09-24-2009, 7:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Winner! Give that boy a stuffed animal
With tannerite inside!

Turby
Old 09-24-2009, 7:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Trust me, with BLM it *does* matter who did it. If they decide to pin it on shooters, yes, we're all screwed. I've got just as big a stake in it staying open for shooting and on-trail exploring (great fossil beds in the area) as everyone else, maybe more so, since it serves more than one of my hobbies.

If you legitimately can pin it on the OHV crowd then BLM isn't going to shut Panoche down to shooters; they will realize that ticked off bikers and quad riders are the ones to blame and will focus their attention in that community.

We need pungi sticks!

Quote:

We need a plan b...

Turby
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardm View Post
If you legitimately can pin it on the OHV crowd then BLM isn't going to shut Panoche down to shooters; they will realize that ticked off bikers and quad riders are the ones to blame and will focus their attention in that community.
It's unlikely imo that OHVers did this. It's waaaay too far away from Clear Creek, which is where their beef is. And they're not allowed to ride at Panoche anyway, so it's not like they lost anything there.

If it was OHVers that wanted to tear some **** up, they'd more likely do it at the gates leading into Clear Creek.

I'm betting it was a simple case of:

"Hey Cletus, I betchoo a 6-pack yer truck can't rip that-there gate off them-there hinges! Yee-haw!"

Last edited by xrMike; 09-24-2009 at 11:08 AM..
Old 09-24-2009, 3:46 PM

I'll try to make it. Is anyone going from the East Bay that I can potentially follow there?
Old 09-24-2009, 5:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Actually, Panoche is the first place they lost OHV access some 20 years ago or so. There's quite a bit of bad blood in that community. Some other forums that I followed up until recently indicated certain CC riders were in fact using Panoche given the dire lack of BLM enforcement capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
It's unlikely imo that OHVers did this. It's waaaay too far away from Clear Creek, which is where their beef is. And they're not allowed to ride at Panoche anyway, so it's not like they lost anything there.

If it was OHVers that wanted to tear some **** up, they'd more likely do it at the gates leading into Clear Creek.

I'm betting it was a simple case of:

"Hey Cletus, I betchoo a 6-pack yer truck can't rip that-there gate off them-there hinges! Yee-haw!"