Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 08-18-2005, 8:18 PM

Does anyone know somewhere in the South Bay area that I can go to practice my draw? I've really taken a liking to shooting steel challenge targets, but I really need to practice the draw and the ranges I know about, won't let you work from the holster.
Thanks in advance,
Keith
Old 08-18-2005, 8:27 PM
Veteran Member

There is only one place that I know of that lets you draw from a holster. Its a small range in Scotts Valley but its a club members only range. I'm not a member, yet, but my buddy is. I think he said it was only like $100 for the year with no range fees. They have a 100 yard rifle range and a 25 yard pistol range and rappid fire is ok on both ranges too. Not sure of the name of it though. I can ask my buddy for a contact number if you would like.
Old 08-31-2005, 3:46 PM

Good news: Reed's Indoor Range (off 101, near the SJC airport) will let you draw from a holster and shoot double- and triple-tap, but only ...
Bad news: ... if you have taken their tactical shooting class, and got the certificate from it.
Very bad news: The class costs $400, a whole weekend, and you bring your own gun, holster, ammo, and safety equipment (the ammo along can easily add another $100) but ...
Very good news: ... taking the class is worth it on general grounds.

Matter-of-fact, if you are a regular whom they know (and of good behavior), and the range is pretty slow, they'll even try to give you half of the range to yourself, so you are surrounded by concrete on all sides, and can practice seriously on a hot range, with no carrels. I guess this is not a right, but a privilege.
Old 09-01-2005, 9:30 AM

It's not south bay but you can do IPSC practice every saturday morning at Richmond Rod&Gun club.

Included drawing from holster, double-triple-and quadruple taps.

Some actual stages too.
Early saturday there's not that much traffic...
Old 02-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu-bye
There is only one place that I know of that lets you draw from a holster. Its a small range in Scotts Valley but its a club members only range. I'm not a member, yet, but my buddy is. I think he said it was only like $100 for the year with no range fees. They have a 100 yard rifle range and a 25 yard pistol range and rappid fire is ok on both ranges too. Not sure of the name of it though. I can ask my buddy for a contact number if you would like.
Wow, I had to bring this thread back from the dead...Scotts Valley Range is only $45 a year, and one range maintenance day a year or they charge you an additional $50 assesment. You also have to belong to the NRA. Just a FYI

Check out or web page for current *Web Specials* WWW.SANTACRUZARMORY.COM
Old 02-08-2007, 3:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

10th street range in San Jose...

They do tactical classes twice a month. First time is free... it's usually a mix of weird activities that are entertaining to say the least.

http://www.scvrc.com/10th_street.htm
Old 02-08-2007, 4:59 AM
In Memoriam

Get the blessing from the staff at Oaktree Gun Club and you can work from the holster and shoot steel poppers, Texas Star, paper, use barricades set up your own course of fire, and use the moving target (maybe).

Oh yeah you can do this with your shotgun too.

Have fun be safe
Old 02-08-2007, 7:50 AM
Internet Dictator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

if yer willing to drive up to san leandro, the san leandro range has a steel shot on saturday nights...

It's outside, usually shooting at poppers and plates. You and another guy "race" for fun to see who can knock down their targets faster. It's worth checking out http://slrange.tripod.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Show me on this 1st Amendment bobble-head doll where the mods touched you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Boom View Post
It is clear from this thread that citadel grad was the gunman, and Oswald his patsy.
Old 02-08-2007, 8:35 AM

a little off topic but what's up with that third post? no author?
Old 02-08-2007, 8:46 AM
Vendor/Retailer

TMW will let you practice your holster work if you can provide proof of holster certification/training and only in the a.m. when it's quieter (oxymoron?); they worry about untrained copy cats. The other requirement is keeping them in the black. Bring your cert and ask at the front counter. They also offer a holster course for pretty cheap, I can't remember the price, but I want to say it's around $40.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

maybe sharpshooters?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyayo
maybe sharpshooters?

Wrong "Bay area" ... They are talking about the "Bay Area" up north...

ANyway, Sharpshooter will only allow you to draw from a holster if you are LEO of have taken one of Fred's classes... Good thing too.. No way in hell do I want most of the stupid people around me drawing from a holster..

That brings up another good reason to take a class there... (Other than becomeing a better shooter) You are then allowed to use the far left 3 stalls and go forward of the line.. That 20" wall is armor plate steel.. Not only does this allow you to shoot and move, but also protects you from all the stuip people on the line!
Old 02-09-2007, 1:47 AM
Banned

oh, he said South Bay Area. I guess in the bay area up north there is a southern part of that as well.
Old 02-09-2007, 6:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe
10th street range in San Jose...

They do tactical classes twice a month. First time is free... it's usually a mix of weird activities that are entertaining to say the least.

http://www.scvrc.com/10th_street.htm
I think I ran into a couple of people at a Reed's class that did this ath 10th St.

Which days?
I looked at their schedule, but couldn't find this. I see "action pistol", and "BRM" scheduled, and everthing else make sense as "not tactical classes".

Also, the Reed's classes have changed. AWT no longer does the classes. I don't know what the new rules are for which class get's you a "holster card".
Old 02-09-2007, 9:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Default SHarpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmca
Does anyone know somewhere in the South Bay area that I can go to practice my draw? I've really taken a liking to shooting steel challenge targets, but I really need to practice the draw and the ranges I know about, won't let you work from the holster.
Thanks in advance,
Keith
It isn't uncommon to see shooters training/practicing with holsters at Sharpshooter in Torrance.

Most, if not all, have attended training at the range, so they familiar with the people and know their level of competency.

I’m sure if someone tried TV stunts or acted like a cartoon sheriff, they’d be asked to leave or reminded about their policies.

Stop in and ask….
Old 02-09-2007, 9:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Dry fire practice at home.

Get the proper training before attempting drawn pistol live fire from holster. After the instruction is complete, here is one way to perfect your draw...perfect practice makes perfect...

Remove all ammo from a discrete room in your residence. Verify again all ammo is clear from that room and on your person. Gear up and verify your sidearm is clear. Knowing that there are no live rounds in that room or on your person - Announce DRY FIRE PRACTICE HAS NOW BEGUN...Place a target up on the wall so that if a live round were to penetrate the wall, you will not hurt or kill someone. Now practice your draw and re-rack after every draw. Note your stance, your sight picture (before, during, after pull), trigger reset, rack etc. until you groove it to your satisfaction. Keep it real and consistent with what you're doing with what you carry when not dry fire practicing. After you have finished announce - DRY FIRE PRACTICE IS NOW OVER and remove the target.

It is every individual's responsibility to insure no AD, remembering that an AD will result in the response of your local LEO and a lot of trouble for that individual. The plea "I was just trying something that I learned off the internet" will not help you.

Lastly, there are some really great airsoft pistols out there that will work with your existing gear. Get one, follow the methodology above, attach the target to a outside of a closed cardboard box that will perforate the outer cardboard and contain the bbs and do live airsoft practice at home. They've been doing this in Japan (due to their represive gun laws) with a great deal of success when coming over to the US to shoot.