Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-06-2005, 8:09 PM

I've read about wrapping the stock with paper towels and a black garbage bag. The leaving in the sun to sweat out the cosmo.

Got ORI?

Front Sight Diamond Member
Old 06-06-2005, 7:25 PM

You ask 5 different people and they will give you 5 differant answers.
I used Brake cleaner on the metal and heated the stock in the oven at 170 degrees wipping off the stock about every 20 minutes for about 2 hours. Make sure that you put foil under itso the cosmoline doesn't get the wifes oven dirty. You have to take all the metal and the rubber pads off, before you do this.
Pidooma has some very good links, that you should take a look at before you even try to do anything.
I know that many people will tell you that you really don't need to take the firing pin out, just spraying it with cleaner will do the job.
DON'T CHANCE IT! take it apart and make sure that it is clean. This is the biggest cause of multiple fires. Also be careful of commercial ammo. Most commercial American ammo use soft primers. Russian ammo uses harder Mil spec primers.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin
Old 06-06-2005, 6:00 PM

Mineral spirits, they are relativly oder free. It won't strip finish, shelac, or varnish and it works well on both metal and wood parts.

--Ronaldus Maximus
Old 06-06-2005, 4:51 PM

Does anyone on this board have experience with the intial cleaning of an SKS? I have what appears to be an unfired Norinco from the late 1950's. It has quite a bit of grease that should be removed, and then properly lubricated.

I've read some posts about people using gasoline and other solvents to clean their SKS. Does anyone here have experience doing this who is willing to share their expertise?
Old 06-06-2005, 8:21 PM

A lot of guys over on Survivors SKS board sware by them. I will probably pick a couple up soon for my Yugos, as it doesn't leave dimples on the primers on American ammo when you close the bolt.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin
Old 06-06-2005, 5:18 PM

I have a Yugo SKS that was covered in cosmoline when I got it.

I followed the disassembly instructions over at surplusrifle.com.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/carbine/index.asp

You also want to make sure and disassemble the bolt assembly:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/boltdisassemble/hs.asp

I've heard of several different methods for cleaning off the cosmoline. I ended up using Simple Green for the metal parts. I used EZ-OFF over cleaner to strip the cosmoline and finish off of the wood stock, and refinished it with boiled linseed oil. It'll probably take several hours to get it all cleaned off. Took me awhile. Other methods include boiling in water or using mineral spirits.

It's really important to get the bolt assembly clean. You want to make sure the firing pin and surrounding areas are free of the cosmoline so the firing pin moves freely. Easiest to do when it's all disassembled.