Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-10-2009, 5:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Vista and Nero

I hope someone can give me pointers about MS Vista.
I had used Nero with no problems on our old computer, then our computer died and we got a new laptop with Vista. The problem is when I start Nero now under Vista, it pops up a window saying I need "privileges" under Windows NT to use Nero to write to DVD-R disks. I looked under the configuration window for the admin account and couldn't figure out how to get around this thing.
Anyone know how I can get around this problem? Do I have to reconfigure the user profile properties?
Thanks.
Old 09-10-2009, 6:20 PM
Calguns Addict

CDburnerXP. Its free and way less bloated then nero.
Old 09-10-2009, 6:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Back when XP first came out, older versions of Nero had that problem and Ahead released patches for it. Download the update/patch for your version of Nero.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 09-10-2009, 8:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
Back when XP first came out, older versions of Nero had that problem and Ahead released patches for it. Download the update/patch for your version of Nero.
Exactly right. Nero stopped updating (vers. 4-5-6) when VISTA came out. Version 7 was a basket case, which never worked right and became extinct in about one year. Nero 8 isn't much better.

Nero 6.6 Reloaded was the last of their good programs. Enjoy it while you still use Windows 98-SE - XP. It will never be updated to work on machines with VISTA or the new Windows 7 to be released next month. So CD Burner XP Pro is the best solution with the new operating systems...
Old 09-10-2009, 8:23 PM

Nero = junk.

Use http://infrarecorder.org/
Old 09-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsalad View Post
Nero = junk.

Use http://infrarecorder.org/
It sure is now. The Ahead Software warehouse is located near you in Glendale if I remember right. We never had a big problem with Nero 5.5xx - 6.6xx; but I'll never use versions 7-9. Too much bloatware and they suck...
Old 09-11-2009, 1:12 AM

What version of Nero?
At the very least you will need to run Nero as administrator to get access to your burner.
Old 09-11-2009, 1:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinMr2 View Post
What version of Nero?
At the very least you will need to run Nero as administrator to get access to your burner.
Click run as....
Click on the dot next to "current home user".....
Check protect my computer and data from unauthorized........
Disabling the dot next to "the following user" turns off the administrator requirement. Anybody can use the burner...
Old 09-11-2009, 9:50 AM
Calguns Addict

thanks for the info everyone. I'm already running as admin on the computer so I can't understand why Vista is so retarded. I'll try installing the updates, but if that doesn't work, I'll use another program.
Man, I hate microsoft crap.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtt View Post
thanks for the info everyone. I'm already running as admin on the computer so I can't understand why Vista is so retarded. I'll try installing the updates, but if that doesn't work, I'll use another program.
This is why we build our own machines instead buying them ready to go in the stores. It's not hard to format a hard drive and install Windows XP instead of that Vista garbage. There is nothing on our computers that we didn't install ourselves!
Old 09-12-2009, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtt View Post
Under vista, all administrator accounts are actually limited accounts until some operation is done that requires elevation. Then the UAC window pops up. It's not just a Microsoft thing, this is the same security model that is in OS X and linux now.

Vista's built-in CD/DVD burning doesn't need elevation, so maybe Nero is just a sack of crap?
Old 09-12-2009, 11:37 PM

back in the day 8-10 years ago, Nero Burning Rom was one of the nicest CD Burning programs available. It was simple and lightweight, me and my techie friends preferred it all the time. And then Nero took off and started getting more and more bloated. Now they call it Nero Suite complete with a MediaPlayer, picture software and everything...ew

Try imgburn, its a free open source solution. Its simple, lightweight and runs well on Vista/Seven platforms.
Old 09-13-2009, 4:52 PM
Calguns Addict

I've realized the problem is with Nero, and it is a sack of crap when running on Vista. I kept my Nero from the old days because it worked so well back then, but it doesn't work in vista, and I have no desire to load the current version of Nero which does video editing, photo album stuff, media playing, and toasting bread in addition to burning cds and dvds. I downloaded CDburnerXP and it works well.