Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Now that I have my SU-16CA I have little use for my Fab-10. I was thinking of going with a 6.8 conversion but its still and pinned mag range queen. Now that the 50 is being banned I have to jump on this before I kick myself like I do for not getting an AR when I could have. As most of you know the FAB-10 (or others like it) gets little to no respect outside of Cali. Even the biggest bad a55 Texas gunner can't help but smile at a 50 cal. Since most 50's are bolt guns anyway the Fab-10 is the right lower. I bought my fab-10 lower a few years ago so she is legal to mount a 50 upper on her. Now, who makes a nice upper for a low price? Also what are the ballistic differences between say an 18" barrel and a 22" and up?
Old 05-13-2005, 1:07 PM

What! A SU-16CA and now this!?!?!?! What's next, the FN 5-7 pistol??

Take your pick on .50 caliber conversions for AR-15-like receivers. Here are a few off the top of my head:

www.50bmg.net (Advanced Long Range Systems)
www.ferret50.com (Ferret 50)
www.ultramag50.com Ultra Mag 50

The Advanced Long Range Systems upper has won many FCSA Hunter class matches. Also, wheelgunner has that upper and he spanked the rest of us who have $2000+ dedicated .50cals at the .50 cal last match at USI! Yes, I'm still hurting!

Also, you can get everything you need at ALS to shoot the .50, from the upper to reloading presses. You might be able to cut a deal with Darren Wardle, the owner if you purchase everything (you need to shoot) as a package.

Old 05-13-2005, 1:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Now, who makes a nice upper for a low price? Also what are the ballistic differences between say an 18" barrel and a 22" and up?
Go to www.AR15.com to Armory section for links on .50BMG and opinions. If there are not enough links, ask again, and I'll paste them (there are about 6 major distributors). One thing I would worry about is that the Fab-10 is a cast lower, as nearly as I can tell and may not be able to withstand the extra force. You may at the very least invest in MGI buffer. The .50 BMG, I think, is a long range projectile and as such I would go for the longest barrel, most are 29". If you want to go short range you might want to investigate the .50 Beowulf, which has a flat trajectory to about 250 yards but then drops tremendously, whether 16" or 24" barrel. I am waiting for my 16" myself.
Quote:
Now that I have my SU-16CA I have little use for my Fab-10. I was thinking of going with a 6.8 conversion but its still and pinned mag range queen.
I am suprised, I still use my AR-15 a lot, because let's face it, it is a better rifle; the main thing that the SU-16 has going for it is the detachable mags. And I am getting pretty quick loading the Fab-10 with the Mark II (new, improved etc.) stripper clip guide. If you want a range queen look at the ballistics of the 6.5 Grendel versus 6.8; 6.5 goes sub-sonic to 1000 yards, 6.8, if I remmeber correctly only 300 yards. I am waiting for the 24" Overwatch Grendel. In either scenario, you will have to modify the mag and if you are lucky, you may not have to modify it for the Grendel if your Fab-10 came with cut down USGI mag.

One issue I see with the 6.8, 6.5 and .50 Beowulf is that they may be a fad that fades away.
Old 05-13-2005, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

50 Cal uppers are offered in 18, 22 & 29 inch barrel lenghts now. I personally think the 18 is too short, the 29 too long, but the 22 is a perfect compromise for compactness, weight, and velocity.

I don't recall the exact velocity loss from a 29 to a 22, but it worked out to be somewhere around a 200-250 loss. Not a big deal in my book as a 700 grain bullet is gonna hurt, regardless of it was out of a 29 inch barrel or a 22 inch barrel.

And a 22 inch barrel is what is on my upper. I'll have to take a pic and show for you guys, but really check out the UM50. I personally think they are the best 50 bmg uppers on the market.

As for the AR lower, I've heard of some AR15/50 bmg combos that are going hundreds of rounds with no stress on the AR lower. Personally being in Cali and a true AR lower being worth their weight in gold, I bought a DPMS single shot lower. If my 50 upper ever destroys the lower, I'll only be out $180. Besides I've got a semi 50 bmg in the plans down the line. (yes the receiver is already in my hands and registered by the deadline...I know how to keep it legal).

Oh, and comparing a 50 Beowolf to a 50 bmg is like comparing a 22LR to a 223. Both have the same diameter (almost) but both are hugely different rounds.
Old 05-13-2005, 2:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Oh, and comparing a 50 Beowolf to a 50 bmg is like comparing a 22LR to a 223. Both have the same diameter (almost) but both are hugely different rounds.
I agree that they are apples and oranges, but I was not comparing them, just giving different options, depending on what Bu-buy actually needs or wants to do with his Fab-10. What works for me may not necessarily work for him and the other way around.
Old 05-13-2005, 2:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I agree that they are apples and oranges, but I was not comparing them, just giving different options, depending on what Bu-buy actually needs or wants to do with his Fab-10. What works for me may not necessarily work for him and the other way around.
No worries, I must say though, I used to have a 458 Socom by Tony Tromix. I loved that thing as it functioned flawlessly out of my AR. Had to sell it though, ammo was hard to come by and I didn't reload.
Old 05-13-2005, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I used to have a 458 Socom by Tony Tromix. I loved that thing as it functioned flawlessly out of my AR. Had to sell it though, ammo was hard to come by and I didn't reload.
Precisely why I went with the .50 Beowulf; as long as Alexander Arms exists I don't have to reload. And I heard that Tromix is out of business. On different note, I've been eyeing the .408 Chey-Tac, but so far the uppers are too expensive and only two places I know manufacture it and are out of stock, mostly. The .510 DTC has the same problem. So bottom line is if you want a long range large caliber gun .50 BMG is the way to go, provided you can register it.
Old 05-13-2005, 4:33 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry my range queen comment was aimed at my current FAB-10 setup not every fab-10. I have a 16 bull DPMS barrel, 24X scope and bi-pod. Its to heavy to pack around or even shoot standing which is why I got the SU-16ca. With my current setup she can shoot 1/2 inch groups which is nice. The gun will never see anything other then a bench though. The 50 cal will not either but I would rather shoot a 50 for groups rather then a 223. Me likes BIG holes

As for the 50 being "banned" as I understand it as long as I had the lower before the 1/1/05 and buy and regester it as a .50BMG before 4/1/06 I'm cool. Am I wrong here?
Old 05-13-2005, 4:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
As for the 50 being "banned" as I understand it as long as I had the lower before the 1/1/05 and buy and regester it as a .50BMG before 4/1/06 I'm cool. Am I wrong here?
You are absolutely right. If you are only going up to 200 yards, why don't you wait about 2-3 weeks and we'll shoot the Beowulf, I should have it by then, see if you like it. They are $600-$700 as oppose to $1600 or so for .50BMG. On the other hand, if you are rich - get one of each.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You are absolutely right. If you are only going up to 200 yards, why don't you wait about 2-3 weeks and we'll shoot the Beowulf, I should have it by then, see if you like it. They are $600-$700 as oppose to $1600 or so for .50BMG. On the other hand, if you are rich - get one of each.
Not rich but I like my toys.2-3 weeks, sounds like a plan. I don't think Leguna lets us shoot 50BMG rounds but being a member they might look away for a day or two. That Beowulf looks like a lot of fun, maybe someday I can get both.

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't there a 1000 yard range somewhere around Sac? I though I had read something a few years ago. Stevil, do you know about this range?
Old 05-14-2005, 12:15 AM
Veteran Member

There is a 1000 yard range in Sac, but no 50's allowed.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I don't think Leguna lets us shoot 50BMG rounds but being a member they might look away for a day or two. That Beowulf looks like a lot of fun, maybe someday I can get both.
I don't know for sure when I asked while back they said that they do allow .50 at Laguna; I'll ask again. Also, I thought there was a thousand yard range in the back hills of Laguna.
Old 05-24-2005, 7:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I don't know for sure when I asked while back they said that they do allow .50 at Laguna; I'll ask again. Also, I thought there was a thousand yard range in the back hills of Laguna.
Bu-buy, I checked yesterday and they do allow 50. BMG at Laguna, but only paper punching, not at metal plates because they are worried about ricochet.