Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

LONDON (Reuters) - A "threatening" beer advertisement depicting a double-barrelled shotgun pointed at the viewer has been banned by Britain's advertising watchdog.

There were 51 complaints about the advert for Ruddles ale which featured a shotgun positioned at the reader from between two pub stools, and read: "Excuse me, I believe that's my seat."

Complainants said the advertisement, which appeared in newspapers, was offensive and irresponsible because it condoned the threatening use of guns.

The Union Pub Company said the advert was particularly offensive to pub landlords.

Greene King, which produces Ruddles, said the advert was part of their "uncompromisingly from the country" campaign, which targeted male bitter-drinkers who would recognise the humour behind the advertisement.
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...DVERTISING.xml
The Advertising Standards Authority said on Wednesday the advertisement was "unlikely to be seen as condoning or provoking anti-social behaviour" but added it could be considered threatening and was likely to cause "serious or widespread offence".

The authority told Greene King not to run the advertisement again.

This is just sad!
Old 03-07-2005, 11:42 AM

I don't like being told how to think.

Pretty dumb on the part of the Brits, IMO. Rather than leave the decision up the editors of the newspapers, the gubmint decided that it would assume the role of morality/decency inspector and ban the ad.

However, here at home in the U.S., the pressures of the radical religious right are currently lobbying the Feds. to place more power in the hands of the FCC to limit our rights of free speech and an unfettered media through the process of threatening them with steeper fines and a broadened sense of what is "decent". Mirror image? You bet it is...
How far away politically are we "yankees" from them "tea-sipping limeys" over there? Give it enough time, and we'll soon have all our ideas dictated to us by Big Brother 's Ministry of Truth.
Count on it.
Old 03-07-2005, 4:23 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">IIRC, In the UK, residents are taxed on the number of receivers they have. The BBC actually goes around checking to see if dwellings have antennae. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read an article awhile back about this. I think the "Television tax" was $200 or 200 pounds, or some similar number. The story was about a man who had no television, but kept getting threatening letters from whoever administered the tax. They just couldn't believe he didn't have a television.
Old 03-07-2005, 8:06 PM

oh yeah, they dont mess around with the TV tax over there. I visited a friend studying abroad there and they send those letters out like junk mail. no one in his dorm had a TV and they all got them all the time. It is just scare tactics, the "tube" (subway) is full of ads about the same thing too.
Old 03-09-2005, 6:45 PM

Honestly, I'd never heard about such things.

In light of learning about the "TV tax" in Britain, let me amend what I said earlier:
I don't like being told how to think ...but at least I don't have to pay for the disservice of being told to do so.
It's no wonder that guns are so illegal across the pond.
If we taxed the airwaves here, maybe the Joe sixpacks would get riled up enough to do something about it. I think our rulers are more clever than that though.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

LONDON (Reuters) - A "threatening" beer advertisement depicting a double-barrelled shotgun pointed at the viewer has been banned by Britain's advertising watchdog.

There were 51 complaints about the advert for Ruddles ale which featured a shotgun positioned at the reader from between two pub stools, and read: "Excuse me, I believe that's my seat."

Complainants said the advertisement, which appeared in newspapers, was offensive and irresponsible because it condoned the threatening use of guns.

The Union Pub Company said the advert was particularly offensive to pub landlords.

Greene King, which produces Ruddles, said the advert was part of their "uncompromisingly from the country" campaign, which targeted male bitter-drinkers who would recognise the humour behind the advertisement.
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...DVERTISING.xml
The Advertising Standards Authority said on Wednesday the advertisement was "unlikely to be seen as condoning or provoking anti-social behaviour" but added it could be considered threatening and was likely to cause "serious or widespread offence".

The authority told Greene King not to run the advertisement again.

This is just sad!