Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-03-2005, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Kahr markets an M-1 Carbine (formerly made by Auto-Ordinance, which was acquired by Kahr). Price is around $500 or so. I've heard mixed things. Perhaps the negatives are due to the above-mentioned transitional phase? Perhaps quality control has increased? At any rate, I'd like an M-1, and the GIs are priced rather high now...anyone have experience with the Kahr?

Here it is...
http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_aom110.html

Thanks
Old 03-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Calguns Addict

.30 Handgun

What's a fair price for a USGI M-1? Assume something that is not a rare manufacturer, non-matching ok, but in decent shape.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Yep, you can get the Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine for a reasonable price if you're patient. I've been casually looking for one for a while. Not the most practical pistol, but that doesn't count for much...

The Kahrs have a good reputation for civilian M1 Carbines, and are reasonable guns for the money. You can get a GI for the same price if you look around, but they're usually pretty beat. Once you get to $600 and up, you can get pretty decent GI M1 Carbines.

Personally, I'd agree with the idea of adding one or two hundred bucks to get a nice GI M1 Carbine, as they will definitely go up in value.

That said, I've got an old Universal that was durn cheap, and it's been completely reliable and a fine shooter. I like it a lot.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Yeah, I agree that a USGI one will only increase in value while a commercial will likely lose value. If I can find a reasonably-priced USGI I'd likely buy. Really now I just want a .30 carbine range gun. I had a Universal and have nothing flattering to say about it (although I've heard some of the early ones aren't bad). The Kahr is supposed to be USGI compatible and people seem to like Kahr's handguns...so hmmm, we'll see.
Old 03-03-2005, 9:28 PM

One thing for sure if you pony up the extra $$ for a USGI now - you'll get your money back and then some if you want to sell later. No experience with the Kahr - few other non USGI ones out there, Springfield, Universal to name a couple.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:30 AM
slowjon

I'm at eight G.I. carbines and climbling. I only buy GI for the reasons mentioned above as well as you never have to worry about parts being compatable. You can still get decent GI carbines for at or slightly over what the commercial ones are going for. You just have to look around. Truely, one of the funnsest guns around for plinking!
Old 03-05-2005, 1:17 AM
Veteran Member

You can get them for $550-600 if you shop around and aren't worried about pretty too much. Once they start looking nice, the price moves on up.

The cheaper ones are usually import stamped, especially Blue Sky, who sometimes stamped the barrel hard enough to deform it a bit.

It's pretty easy to find a decent one for $700. They're also all C&R, so if you have a license and a seller who understands, you can have one shipped directly to you from out of state, say from a Gunbroker auction. Likewise, anyone can buy one from a California private party without a DROS or transfer.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-03-2005, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Kahr markets an M-1 Carbine (formerly made by Auto-Ordinance, which was acquired by Kahr). Price is around $500 or so. I've heard mixed things. Perhaps the negatives are due to the above-mentioned transitional phase? Perhaps quality control has increased? At any rate, I'd like an M-1, and the GIs are priced rather high now...anyone have experience with the Kahr?

Here it is...
http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_aom110.html

Thanks
Old 03-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Dont forget that many handguns are now being made that shoot the 30 carbine as well. Nice to carry one caliber when plinking.
http://www.taurususa.com/products/gu...or-results.cfm
http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdResults

If you reload its easy to make with carbide dies the cases rarely stretch and projectiles are relatively cheap. That makes them even funner to shoot.