Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-19-2005, 5:21 AM

Thanks for the advice all, I really appreciate it. I will take a look into the places you mentioned.

Once again, thanks! Behind you guys 100%
Old 06-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael:
Hello all,

I am relatively new to shooting rifles, and need a bit of advice.

I'm looking to buy a 7.62 autoloader. I'd like it to be accurate above all else, have a detachable magazine, but also fairly inexpensive (i.e. < $650). I would prefer a rifle with a pistol grip, or at least a model with an aftermarket pistol grip available I have looked into the following models:

Mini-30
Various AK copies (century arms, norinko, etc.)
Springfield's M14 (too pricey)
How about a PTR. It's like the HK91. Here's an ad from Gunbroker.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=33664723

As for the Mini-30 and AK, both are not very accurate beyond 200 yards.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:05 PM

Oh, a free-stater. Just here to torture us with your stories of AKs and ARs, eh?

http://www.thehighroad.org is an excellent place for additonal info.
Old 06-18-2005, 8:12 PM
HEUER

Michael, if you live in California you are going to be limited to the type of 7.62 auto loader that you are going to be able to purchase because of the Assuat Weapons Ban that was passed in 2000.

Pistol Grips are not allowed with semi auto loaders with detachable magazines if they were not registered as assualt rifles prior to 2000.

You may want to decide if you want a rifle chambered in 7.62 x 39 (Mini 30 / sks) or 7.62 x 51 ( m14 type rifle/ M1A / FAL type rifle / Remington 7400 ) there is a pretty big difference.

AK 47 not available in Ca anymore, but depending on the quality of the manufacture, a much better rifle.

I have owned a Mini 30 previously, essentially a Ruger Ranch Rifle chambered in 7.62 x 39. Reliable with factory 5 round mags ( never shot it with high caps ), but you will not win any matches with it. Ruger as retooled the mini line so the only finish you can get is the ss/synthetic in the new model. Also Ruger (called southport) suggests that you only shoot ammo with brass and not metal cased rounds such as wolf. I would not consider the mini 30 to be an assualt rifle, but a very nice reliable plinker. They go bang. Mounting a scope on models before 2005 is recommended because the flip up williams peep sight is less than acceptable. Lots of aftermarket stuff available to make it look cool, but to get it to shoot accurately you may need to rebarrel it (accuracy systems). A factory ruger synthetic zytel stock helps accuracy, but Ruger barrels are pencil thin.

I had a Leupold ( can not go wrong ) 3 x 9 x 40 Varix I Scope on it and it was fun little rifle to plink with.

The SKS rifles are releable and cheap, but not the most accurate rifles available. You can have a pistol grip stock with because it has a fixed magazine.

M1A' are expensive, and only getting more expensive. Fulton Armory, LRB, Springfield, Enterprise, and a couple of other companies produce M14 type recievers. I feel that anyone of these recievers can produce an excellent rifle. You may try to find a Polytech M14, these usually have forged recievers and are less expensive than there American counterparts.

Outside of CA I would buy one of the various AR 10's being produced by Bushmaster or Armalite in 7.62 x51.
Old 06-18-2005, 7:44 PM

Check the FAQ
Old 06-20-2005, 2:47 PM

Michael-

It's nearer Dayton, but we will be all over SW Ohio including visiting in Cincinnati. We'll be there 7/11 - 7/17 (heading south after that.)

I'll PM you my cell #; I do hope to get some trigger time in. Might have some other people interested by then as well.

Tara
Old 06-20-2005, 11:08 PM

This is way out of your stated price range, but Ohio stuck in my head for some reason and this listing in Ohio sounds so cool!!

Para FAL
Old 06-18-2005, 7:25 PM

Hello all,

I am relatively new to shooting rifles, and need a bit of advice.

I'm looking to buy a 7.62 autoloader. I'd like it to be accurate above all else, have a detachable magazine, but also fairly inexpensive (i.e. < $650). I would prefer a rifle with a pistol grip, or at least a model with an aftermarket pistol grip available I have looked into the following models:

Mini-30
Various AK copies (century arms, norinko, etc.)
Springfield's M14 (too pricey)

Does anyone have anyexperience with the AK family or the mini-30? If so, which is a better choice? Is there another good candidate I am overlooking?

Also, any suggestions for optics (up to 9x)?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-19-2005, 4:45 PM

I live in the cincinnati area. Im not familiar with that area, but if it's anywhere near southwest ohio, northern kentucky, or southeastern Indiana. I recommend a few places of interest, and if available wouldn't mind sending off a few rounds with you.
Old 06-18-2005, 9:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Dude, you're in Ohio..so you really have some options.

Within your price range...
1.) AK
2.) SKS (actually less than $200 and you could get a few thousand rounds of ammo and still be under $650.
3.) M1 Carbine (not really a rifle, but still .30 caliber, light and fun). Nice thing is it's a piece of history that should increase or hold its value.) If you go this way get a USGI one.
4.) FAL variant. If I were you this is what I'd get. A real battle rifle with a detachable mag and a pistol grip. *swoon* Might find one in your range, definitely if you bump up the price a tad. Or you can build one.
5.) Polytech M-14. Sell for $700ish give or take. Thing is, people say the bolts on them are soft and should be replaced, so that bumps up the price.
6.) Oh, I almost forgot. You could get a Garand from CMP. This is probably the best .30 cal autoloader deal going. Piece of history, forged receiver, real USGI Garand. http://www.odcmp.com/
And, once you shoot the barrel out you can have it rebarreled for .308.

If you save your money...
1.) A really nice FAL.
2.) Springfield M1A (Springfields M-14 variant is referred to as an M1A)
3.) Another M-14 (Fulton, LRB, etc.)
4.) AR-10

Of course...you could always get an AR, but that's not .30 caliber.

Check these websites...

http://battlerifles.ambackforum.com/

http://www.m-14forum.com/index.php

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php
Old 06-18-2005, 7:50 PM

BTW, I am not a cali resident, if that changes anything.

I live in Ohio, I just come here because you guys know what you're talking about.
Old 06-20-2005, 3:41 PM

Sounds good. I'll check for your PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael:
Thanks for the advice all, I really appreciate it. I will take a look into the places you mentioned.

Once again, thanks! Behind you guys 100%
+1 on the suggested sites.

BTW, where in Ohio? I'll be in the Fairborn/Enon area for a week in July with my SOCOM and few other guns along; looking for places to shoot and people to shoot with while there.