Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Default Have You Ever Found a Gun or Hidden Ammo Cache Before? Details!

Chiz's thread on finding a Universal M1 Carbine buried in his backyard inspired me to make this thread. I have seen other stories on Calguns about people finding guns before and am very interested in this topic. Maybe I am a treasure hunter at heart, but I love these stories.

Have you ever found a gun before?

What was it, and in what condition?

Where did you find it?

What did you end up doing with it (such as turn it over to LEO, gun by back program, non registrable firearm)?

Pictures?!?!?!

Last edited by WeekendWarrior; 09-02-2009 at 12:32 PM..
Old 09-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Old 09-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Its not a trap, obviously I'm asking about situations that would not put you in danger of any legal repercussions. I am expecting all of the stories to end with "I turned it over to local LEO" or it was a non-registrable firearm like a civil war rifle.

Last edited by WeekendWarrior; 09-02-2009 at 12:30 PM..
Old 09-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

yea, I just found a Colt 1911 at my ffl, cost me an arm. But I got two legs to go shoot with.

Thieves are the lowest form of life out there, except for liberal politicians, of course, but that's redundant.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Banned

I found a Remington 870 Express that looked brand new. I found it on a Dirt road in the middle of BFE.Someone probably leaned it against their truck and took off before securing it away safely in his case. ( It was opening day of Quail Season in 1997.

I turned it in to the local sheriff station and no one claimed it in 30 days so it became mine after the numbers were ran and it was proved not to be stolen.

I have no pic of it since it was about 12 years ago and digital cameras did not exist. I might have a paper pic of me using it somewhere in my collection.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Here is a cool example I found on the internet. A guy found this deep in an abandoned mine shaft:

"The remains of an 1866 vintage Winchester rifle found in a mine shaft at Beechworth Vic. during the 1940's comes to light.

Perhaps historically important, but more likely a curio, the remains of a gun block and barrel together with three other antique guns were discovered in a mine shaft back in the 1940's. The private collector kept the find with his gun collection. It is shown here for the first time and I invite comment. What do you make of it. Have you heard of others.

Again there are vexing questions, who would so clumsily stamp EK upside down in such an obvious prominent place. It is marked with a chisel tool and looks very authentic. The gun looks like it has been cannibalized for spare parts. It is a Winchester 1866 model .44in (11.2 mm) issued during the US civil war army."

Source: http://www.denheldid.com/twohuts/story10.html

Last edited by WeekendWarrior; 09-02-2009 at 12:38 PM..
Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a story. the last Owner/developer I was working for, I was the superintendent on an apartment complex renovation...We went to demo/remove all the crap from the storage unit that hadn't been cleaning in probably 10 years, just kept compiling CRAP.

Well, as we were going through I found a .50 cal ammo can, COMPLETELY filled with .40 call ammo!! Ended up counting about 900 rounds.

I didnt have a handgun at the time so I ended up buying a Glock 23.

It was a nice way to start shooting!

-Tom
Old 09-02-2009, 12:43 PM

I WISH I could have some luck like that !
Old 09-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

That's old Ed Kelly's long lost rifle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Kelly

Or, it makes a great story anyways.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 09-02-2009, 12:53 PM

No guns, but I did find an interesting knife once. Made by a guy named grizz in Az. It had a lot of surface rust on it, but i got it home and spent some time polishing and sharpening it and now it doesn't look too bad
Old 09-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah. I think I am so interested in the topic because I have never found anything cool. best thing I have ever found was $20 bill. I remember another calgunner posting that they were renovating the garage and tore down a wall and found a gigantic cache of ammo with thousands and thousands of rounds in various calibers. That would be awesome! I have no idea what to search for to find that post though, it was months and months ago that I read it.
Old 09-02-2009, 1:04 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

I was about 10 years old.
It was a 1911 style BB gun that I thought was a real gun.
I found it behind a wood cabinet in the garage of a old house we recently moved into.
I took it right to my step-dad, who took it away from me and threw it out in the trash.
Old 09-02-2009, 1:10 PM

The coolest had to be a full auto Para Fal I found in the bottom of a diesel tank for a home generator. Had a pile of ammo and mags with it as well.

It was in Fallujah though. Also found a lot of AKs, RPKs PKs RPGs, and an MP5
Old 09-02-2009, 1:16 PM
Banned

I guess if you want to go what we found on deployments the list will go on forever.
Old 09-02-2009, 2:18 PM

At least those are safe to talk about
Old 09-02-2009, 2:19 PM
Banned

Most of them at least!
Old 09-02-2009, 2:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Aside from finding some relic somewhere that would never operate again I would never tell anyone I found a gun (or ammo) buried in my backyard or wherever.

Having mentioned that, my grandfather has found an old Civil War rifle buried in a field where his dad had a farm back east, I don't recall the state. My dad has it now but even though it's in very good condition, the barrel is bent a bit not to mention no idea where you would get ammo for it.

It's a break-open design with a side-mounted hammer. I want to say the caliber was .68 but it's been years since I last looked at it. Next time I visit my dad I should convince him to let me have it since he doesn't like guns anyway.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 09-02-2009, 2:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I used to work at a prop house.

This was a fantasy/Disney style prop manufacturer, so there were really no weapons.

But there was this wild west diorama for rent.

One day, cleaning the display, I relalized that one of the prop shotguns was a bit to realistic.

Sure enough, it was a real one shot shotgun.

I went running into the owner's office (a WWII veteran) and he started laughing, always wondering where that gun went. Apparently, his partner grabbed it for the prop house never thinking it would have been a problem.

Another one: working for a training video for the military, I was rummaging through the prop rifles (rubber ducky type M4s).

Looking deeper, I find this zippered case with a 9mm in it. It was not plugged for blanks, it was a true to life Browning.

I run to the prop master and ask him how many real weapons were on set. He stated zero. So I said: "excellent. Then I can keep this 9mm I found in the prop box".

His eyes became wide as saucers and started to tap dance, so I showed him the gun and he started to sweat bullets!!!

Needless to say there was an immediate meeting with th prop master, the wrangler and the producer.

Sometimes I'm to honest LOL.
Old 09-02-2009, 2:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
I used to work at a prop house.

This was a fantasy/Disney style prop manufacturer, so there were really no weapons.

But there was this wild west diorama for rent.

One day, cleaning the display, I relalized that one of the prop shotguns was a bit to realistic.

Sure enough, it was a real one shot shotgun.

I went running into the owner's office (a WWII veteran) and he started laughing, always wondering where that gun went. Apparently, his partner grabbed it for the prop house never thinking it would have been a problem.

Another one: working for a training video for the military, I was rummaging through the prop rifles (rubber ducky type M4s).

Looking deeper, I find this zippered case with a 9mm in it. It was not plugged for blanks, it was a true to life Browning.

I run to the prop master and ask him how many real weapons were on set. He stated zero. So I said: "excellent. Then I can keep this 9mm I found in the prop box".

His eyes became wide as saucers and started to tap dance, so I showed him the gun and he started to sweat bullets!!!

Needless to say there was an immediate meeting with th prop master, the wrangler and the producer.

Sometimes I'm to honest LOL.
WOW, nice find, you may have saved someone's life! That's a really cool and frightening story. I think an important question comes up - where did the 9mm come from?
Old 09-02-2009, 2:55 PM

I bought a bunch of ammo in ammo cans at a gun show a couple of years ago. Various calibers.

Soon after, I rearranged my gun/ammo storage area. Then, a while after that, I had shot up all the ammo I bought at the show.

A few months ago, I found an ammo can with 500 rounds of 9mm! It got buried under a bunch of empty boxes that I was going to use for eBay shipping. It was a nice surprise.
Old 09-02-2009, 3:00 PM
Calguns Addict

where is the member that found that wooden crate of ammo in a foreclosed house? IMO that is the best find ever, since its ammo, and if it is CA legal (ie no tracer/incendiary/AP) you can keep it w/o having to turn it into LEO.
Old 09-02-2009, 3:27 PM

when i was 14 i was fishing down near the Van buren bridge ( yes i know where the sewage outlet is and i was not near it ) and there was a rusty sawed off shot gun stuck in the sand near the shore line.

it was prob. a murder weapon somebody tossed over the side of the bridge when driveing over.

i didnt touch it, it was pretty jacked up looking.

other then that when i was 4 wheeling out in death vally we passed a OLD abandoned mining camp and i stumbled across a small pile of what appeared to be 12g brass shotgun shells that had been shot out. i kept them they're pretty cool looking.
Old 09-02-2009, 6:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior View Post
WOW, nice find, you may have saved someone's life! That's a really cool and frightening story. I think an important question comes up - where did the 9mm come from?
The end result was that they did rent it/sign for it, but was not properly accounted for. I forgot to mention, it did have a mag full of rounds.

"If guns kill people, can I blame my spelling errors on my pencil?"
Old 09-02-2009, 6:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M47_Dragon View Post
I bought a bunch of ammo in ammo cans at a gun show a couple of years ago. Various calibers.

Soon after, I rearranged my gun/ammo storage area. Then, a while after that, I had shot up all the ammo I bought at the show.

A few months ago, I found an ammo can with 500 rounds of 9mm! It got buried under a bunch of empty boxes that I was going to use for eBay shipping. It was a nice surprise.
LOL, same thing with me.

I went to my mother's house and found an upper I did not even remember buying and like hundreds of rounds of 5.56, 9mm, 45 acp etc.

And stocks, magazines, man... I was tripping out!!!

"If guns kill people, can I blame my spelling errors on my pencil?"
Old 09-02-2009, 7:21 PM

Some years ago UCSD La Jolla was a military base. There was a job demoing an old military building that they found many m1 garands and m1 carbines stuffed in the walls. The crew was sneaking them out and they got caught. Nobody knew the guns were in there.
Old 09-02-2009, 7:25 PM

While cleaning out and remodeling an old restaurant I used to work at I found an old single shot 10g. The stock was busted and the barrel was bent to hell. It wasn't log before we worked out where it came from and returned it to the owner to do with as they pleased.
Old 09-02-2009, 7:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've read and heard stories for years about old "KGB" safe houses and drop spots (supposedly booby trapped) in certain parts of the US.

In his book "The Sword and the Shield" Vasili Mitrokhin, also reiterated this.

And of course in 1999 they introduced a bill for the location and removal of said caches.

Though they have found these old caches in Switzerland and i think Belgium.

Now that would be one major find.

DONATE TODAY!!
Old 09-02-2009, 7:54 PM

Years ago I found two full belts of .223 blanks out in the desert in a trash pile.

My uncle bought an old tractor at an auction and found a Randall Mk. I knife with sheath under the seat. I now have that knife in my display case.

You never know what's going to turn up.
Old 09-02-2009, 8:01 PM
Calguns Addict

At Ft. Bragg in 1976 (the Army post and not the town in CA) In one of the training areas in some deep brush I came across a bunch of closed ammo cans and a couple that were open with .30 blanks linked in Browning belts. One can had a belt half out. I started to reach in to drag the can out when I saw that there were spider webs everywhere and at least one juicy sized black widow spider visible in the web. It was like a Raiders of the Lost Ark scene. I let the cans and blanks be.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper

I'm a seven percenter
Old 09-02-2009, 8:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I found a bolt action when I was 10 in the vacant lot across the street. It was in a case, with the name and address of a neighbor on the case. I returned it immediately at the neighborhood block party and I think it caused some commotion, but being 10 I didn't really think about being discrete.

I did not have any proper firearm training at that time, but my father did teach me about shooting with my daisy bb gun, and I am happy to report that I knew enough then to not pull the trigger, or mess with something that I had no knowledge about how to operate.

I think his son borrowed it, and probably couldn't return it when he discovered his father was home. He probably stashed it to return later.
Old 09-02-2009, 8:44 PM
Veteran Member

I still feel pretty bad about this, 25 years ago we "found" a chicken coop/storage full of WW II surplus items. We helped ourselves to some of it, 1911 mags, radios, fatigues, backpacks, ammo cans, etc. I was just a kid, (no excuse) and have not stolen anything since.
Old 09-02-2009, 8:53 PM

Just to get this thread back on track, about 25 years ago I found this in the mud at an abandoned saw mill outside Tegucigalpa, Honduras.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rusty Old Single-Shot Left Side Detail.jpg (73.4 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Rusty Old Single-Shot Rt Side.jpg (35.4 KB, 107 views)
Old 09-02-2009, 8:57 PM

My girlfriend of 10 years told me the other day, "Have you seen my dad's gun?"

BTW her dad passed away about 15 years ago.

SO she leads me to her Mom's closet and points to the corner and it is a mint condition M1 garand. I say wow and look at it closley

then she says, "You can have it!"

I nearly pissed my pants
Old 09-02-2009, 8:59 PM

Nothing good here.

My brother found a box full of various 12ga birdshot loads on top of his dumpster, didn't bother diving for the gun they belonged to.

Only thing I seem to find are pennies and toy cap guns.
Old 09-02-2009, 9:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

We found a bunch of rifle cases in the attic of the house we moved into. I went up to nail some plywood to use the attic as storage for stuff you dont use a lot but don't want to throw away. Replaced the burned out light bulb and went up. hello Dolly. 4 black rifle cases. . The old home owner called about 3 months later asking about the rifle cases.. he was a d**k about the whole thing so i basically blew him off. He asked if the rifle cases were still there. They were and if he was a little more polite on the phone I would of given them to him. As it was i told him sorry everything was removed and thrown away. have a nice day. i gave the cases to my dad cause i didn't really need them

The other thing I found was a huge jackhammer on the side of the road one morning when I was going to work. Ended up tracking down the company that it belonged to and returned it

other than that what i usually find on the job sites are tools in areas where peopel simply forgot them and lots of people dont mark their tools I end up throwing them in my spare tool bucket. Thats the bucket where if any of my guys lose a tool they can go in the bucket and grab somethign till they get a new one
Old 09-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

I was playing airsoft once, several years ago. I was preparing an ambush when I stepped on something that made a very loud crack. After finishing the game, I went back to where I heard the noise. I found part of case sticking out of the ground. I knocked the leaves off and inside were the rusted remains of a .223 remington 700 and a shotgun of some kind. We turned them over to the police. Had I known better, I'd have at least checked out the 700 to see if the receiver was still usable.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:28 PM

Found this 2 months ago, under a mattress, at a hotel I work at...loaded 15+1

Turned in to the PD, after finding out it cant even be recovered if not claimed...

Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 PM

Around 5 years ago my dad lived in a condo. And one day he was looking through the attic. He called me one day and said he found some guns in there! Needless to say I was on pins and needles wondering what they were. Next time I was out there he proceeded to show me the loot. A Winchester 30-30 missing a couple small parts. And a double barrel shotgun...

We later found out that the Winchester was a model 94 that was made in the 1930's! And the shotgun was from an EXTREMELY high quality English company that only made a few hundred or so a year!

And here's the kicker- My dad being the honest person that he is, wrote a letter to the previous person living there asking if he wanted them back. And when we finally heard back from him- the guy hardly had any interest in getting them back and basically said (in a number of words) you can have 'em!

My dad still has them to this day.

The other story I have involves an AWESOME professor I had a couple years ago. He was a fairly old guy, and really neat person. Long story short we talked endlessly about guns and the like. One day he told me this story. In the 1960's he volunteered to help clean out a VFW hall's attic. In it he found a "French Machine gun." From what I could make out it sounded like a Hotchkiss M1914! He went and told the person in charge and was told he could have it!!! But my professor was a little worried about the law, and proceeded to tell the guy it would probably be better if he told the police . He never heard what happened to it...

-Palimino
Old 09-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Calguns Addict

I found a case and a half of .22 ammo in the attic of a house I just moved into, pushed way back under the eaves. All wrapped up in plastic and clearly stashed for a rainy day.

Never heard from anyone about it, never tried to find out who might have owned it. At the time, I didn't have a .22 so a friend who did and I took it to the range and shot some of it up. He bought the beer afterward. Only seemed fair.
"Ecuador offers the United States $23 million a year in economic aid, an amount similar to what we were receiving under the tariff benefits, with the purpose of providing human rights training that will contribute to avoid violations of people's privacy, that degrade humanity," --Fernando Alvarado

Last edited by rabagley; 09-02-2009 at 11:24 PM..
Old 09-03-2009, 6:04 AM
Veteran Member

Didn't somebody find a tommy gun in a house they moved into? I thought I saw it on the news a few years ago.

Not sure where it was.