Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:27 AM

Default Schwarzenegger names 9 judges in Bay Area

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger named nine lawyers Tuesday as Superior Court judges in Alameda, Contra Costa and San Francisco counties.

In San Francisco, the new judges are criminal defense attorney Jim Collins; Andrew Y.S.Cheng, deputy chief of the U.S. attorney's office's civil division; and civil attorneys Samuel Feng, Jeffrey S. Ross and Monica Wiley.

In Alameda County, the governor named Assistant U.S. Attorney Kimberly Briggs, Deputy District Attorney Paul Delucchi - son of the late Superior Court Judge Alfred Delucchi - and civil attorney Paul Fogel to the bench.

In Contra Costa County, Schwarzenegger named Edward Weil, a supervising deputy attorney general, as a judge.

Each judge will receive an annual salary of $178,789.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0PyW8hMRr
Old 09-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Someone with knowledge on these appointments please tell me how safe, or screwed our 2A laws will become?
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 09-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Living the dream
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotnMore View Post
Someone with knowledge on these appointments please tell me how safe, or screwed our 2A laws will become?
Briggs, 50, an Alameda Democrat, has been an Assistant U.S. Attorney since 1995; earlier she'd been an Alameda County Deputy District Attorney from 1987 to 1994. The wife of San Francisco Chief Deputy District Attorney Russ Giuntini, she holds a law degree from Santa Clara University and a bachelor's degree from the University of California, Los Angeles.

Delucchi, 40, a Castro Valley Republican, has been a deputy district attorney for the Alameda County Deputy District Attorney since 1996. Son of the late Alameda County Superior Court Judge Alfred Delucchi, he holds a law degree from Santa Clara University and a bachelor's degree from UC Berkeley.

Fogel, 59, a Berkeley Democrat, has been a partner at Reed Smith since 2003. Earlier, he was an associate and partner with Crosby Heafey Roach & May from 1988 to 2003; an associate for Hinton and Alfert from 1987 to 1988; a California Supreme Court staff attorney from 1982 to 1987; a deputy state public defender in San Francisco and Los Angeles from 1977 to 1982, with a 1979-80 break as a Fulbright fellow at the University of Paris II Law School in France; and a Center for Law in the Public Interest fellow from 1976 to 1977.

The governor named Edward H. Weil, 54, an El Cerrito Democrat, to the Contra Costa County Superior Court. Weil was a supervising deputy attorney general since 2003 and a deputy attorney general for the California Attorney General's Office from 1988 to 2003. Earlier, he was a staff attorney for the San Francisco Neighborhood Legal Assistance Foundation from 1984 to 1988; a trial attorney for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development from 1980 to 1984; and a student law clerk for the National Housing Law Project in 1980. He holds law and bachelor's degrees from UC Berkeley.

Also Tuesday, the governor named two East Bay Democrats — federal prosecutor Andrew Y.S. Cheng, 42, of Piedmont; and attorney and former San Francisco Deputy City Attorney Monica F. Wiley, 39, of Oakland — to the San Francisco Superior Court bench.

When they kick out your front door how you gonna come,
With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?
When the law break in how you gonna go,
Shot down on the pavement or waiting in death row?
-The Clash - The Guns of Brixton
Old 09-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

One Republican, one? Really..... WTH? This guy is an outright liar to call himself a Republican, and a big F u to the RNC for ever supporting this guy.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
Old 09-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
One Republican, one? Really..... WTH? This guy is an outright liar to call himself a Republican, and a big F u to the RNC for ever supporting this guy.
Some of us republicans never voted for the guy, recognizing from the start that he was not our friend and never would be. So, I support your viewpoint.

All opinions expressed here are my own unless I say otherwise.
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:03 AM

Great, just friggin' great...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulball View Post
Briggs, 50, an Alameda Democrat, has been an Assistant U.S. Attorney since 1995; earlier she'd been an Alameda County Deputy District Attorney from 1987 to 1994. The wife of San Francisco Chief Deputy District Attorney Russ Giuntini, she holds a law degree from Santa Clara University and a bachelor's degree from the University of California, Los Angeles.

Delucchi, 40, a Castro Valley Republican, has been a deputy district attorney for the Alameda County Deputy District Attorney since 1996. Son of the late Alameda County Superior Court Judge Alfred Delucchi, he holds a law degree from Santa Clara University and a bachelor's degree from UC Berkeley.

Fogel, 59, a Berkeley Democrat, has been a partner at Reed Smith since 2003. Earlier, he was an associate and partner with Crosby Heafey Roach & May from 1988 to 2003; an associate for Hinton and Alfert from 1987 to 1988; a California Supreme Court staff attorney from 1982 to 1987; a deputy state public defender in San Francisco and Los Angeles from 1977 to 1982, with a 1979-80 break as a Fulbright fellow at the University of Paris II Law School in France; and a Center for Law in the Public Interest fellow from 1976 to 1977.

The governor named Edward H. Weil, 54, an El Cerrito Democrat, to the Contra Costa County Superior Court. Weil was a supervising deputy attorney general since 2003 and a deputy attorney general for the California Attorney General's Office from 1988 to 2003. Earlier, he was a staff attorney for the San Francisco Neighborhood Legal Assistance Foundation from 1984 to 1988; a trial attorney for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development from 1980 to 1984; and a student law clerk for the National Housing Law Project in 1980. He holds law and bachelor's degrees from UC Berkeley.

Also Tuesday, the governor named two East Bay Democrats federal prosecutor Andrew Y.S. Cheng, 42, of Piedmont; and attorney and former San Francisco Deputy City Attorney Monica F. Wiley, 39, of Oakland to the San Francisco Superior Court bench.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:10 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock22Fan View Post
Some of us republicans never voted for the guy, recognizing from the start that he was not our friend and never would be. So, I support your viewpoint.
Don't blame me, I voted McClintock

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:16 PM

I'm not sure what California's laws, regulations, and rules are pertaining to judicial appointments, but there's probably some requirement that they need to be from the county that they're going to preside in. Good luck finding qualified Republican attorneys who have bothered to stick around in these particular counties long enough to get noticed for judicial appointments.

Since these are all state court positions, I doubt they'll have a prominent effect on Second Amendment-related cases, most of which will likely be pursued through federal court.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
Don't blame me, I voted McClintock
me too.

All opinions expressed here are my own unless I say otherwise.
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I think the RNC needs to get off their *** and kick Arnold out of the party already. Friggin ridiculous

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Since I am not in the know to throw the BS flagon the " Good luck finding qualified Republican attorneys who have bothered to stick around in these particular counties long enough to get noticed for judicial appointments." I just find it very difficult to believe that only Dem attorney's stick around in CA, or there is a lack of Repubs, to fill these positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf6tac View Post
I'm not sure what California's laws, regulations, and rules are pertaining to judicial appointments, but there's probably some requirement that they need to be from the county that they're going to preside in. Good luck finding qualified Republican attorneys who have bothered to stick around in these particular counties long enough to get noticed for judicial appointments.

Since these are all state court positions, I doubt they'll have a prominent effect on Second Amendment-related cases, most of which will likely be pursued through federal court.
--James Madison
Old 09-02-2009, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Since I am not in the know to throw the BS flagon the " Good luck finding qualified Republican attorneys who have bothered to stick around in these particular counties long enough to get noticed for judicial appointments." I just find it very difficult to believe that only Dem attorney's stick around in CA, or there is a lack of Repubs, to fill these positions.
In those particular counties? Possibly. I have no doubt that there are Republican attorneys in those counties (I'm in San Mateo County, but I could just as easily be in Alameda), and they are probably qualified, but when you're talking about a process that requires a politician to appoint you, being qualified isn't enough - you have to somehow stand out in a way that the politician would actually notice, which in most cases mean you have at least some ties to local politicians, hence why most of these nominees have served in local DA's or PD's offices. And if you're talking about Alameda or San Francisco County, chances are the District Attorneys themselves (the actual DAs, not their underling deputy DAs) wouldn't be elected to office if their policies and views didn't align with the very left-leaning voter population. It's a very self-selecting supply.
Old 09-02-2009, 1:36 PM

"Please change your party affiliation to Democrat as even your judicial appointments are Democrats. Your actions are giving those true conservatives a bad image. I am also expecting you to go back on your word of not signing any bill not directly related to fixing the state economy."
Old 09-02-2009, 2:16 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Really can't trust anyone anymore it seems. The lines of the 2-party system really seem to have diminished to the point where it is hard to tell them apart anymore.
Old 09-02-2009, 2:55 PM

These judicial appointments are so much less relevant than you all think.

It's the Legislature that makes our worthless gun laws. Even a staunch, pro-2A supporting judge is going to have to apply the law as it is written.

By the way, Jim Collins, former cop. Really good guy.
Old 09-02-2009, 5:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock22Fan View Post
me too.
Me three...

Μολὼν λαβέ
.................................................. ............
COMPLETE HI-CAP MAG REPAIR KITS FOR SALE- MAGPUL, RUGER, SIG, FN, H&K, GLOCK, MINI14, M1, M1A/M14, AK47, BLACK DOG, AR15,PARA, BERETTA, CZ, GSG, SAIGA, SPRINGFIELD, S&W, SKS & MORE.

www.laksupply.com

http://laksupply.com/magazines-mag-kits

http://laksupply.com/magazines-mag-kits/ar-15-magazines

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=99311
Old 09-02-2009, 5:53 PM

Well one of them is from my University but that's about the only positive I see in this...
Old 09-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Living the dream
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey_Sauer View Post
These judicial appointments are so much less relevant than you all think.

It's the Legislature that makes our worthless gun laws.
They may be less relevant now, but they can move up even higher in the future. Judicial appointments at every level should be highly scrutinized.

When they kick out your front door how you gonna come,
With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?
When the law break in how you gonna go,
Shot down on the pavement or waiting in death row?
-The Clash - The Guns of Brixton
Old 09-03-2009, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member

well its over now. let me throw off my republican coat and pick up my whig coat. it seems like the only party worth joining
Old 09-03-2009, 2:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

"Sorry, Virginia, there is NO Santa Claus"