Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:26 PM

Hi all.

I'm looking at getting a serious SHTF/Main Battle Rifle and am stuck here in enemy territory like the rest of you.

What is our best option?

To me, it looks like some version of the M1, for several reasons:

- Proven, powerful caliber (.308)

- Takes detachable mags, and up to 20 rounds per mag. (Do larger mags exist for this rifle?)

- War proven design

What do you all think?

I'm pretty sure that the M1 is high on my list.

Are there any other serious rifles that I'm overlooking?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2005, 12:26 PM

Hi all.

I'm looking at getting a serious SHTF/Main Battle Rifle and am stuck here in enemy territory like the rest of you.

What is our best option?

To me, it looks like some version of the M1, for several reasons:

- Proven, powerful caliber (.308)

- Takes detachable mags, and up to 20 rounds per mag. (Do larger mags exist for this rifle?)

- War proven design

What do you all think?

I'm pretty sure that the M1 is high on my list.

Are there any other serious rifles that I'm overlooking?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2005, 12:48 PM

I think you are thinking of the M1A. The M1 has no external magazine and holds 8 rounds in an enbloc clip.
The M1a has a detachable mag but in good ol Ca. it is limited to 10 rounds. Yes you can probably find larger mags, but not use them legally.
Good choice for long range work but there are others. M1 Carbine comes to mind for closer ranges one might find in a city enviroment, it's much lighter, easier to weild, and accurate.
Old 05-12-2005, 1:21 PM

M1A. It's pricey, and unless you bought 20 rounders before the ban, you can only buy 10 round magazines now. Possession is not covered, only transfer and manufacture. For closer ranges and urban, the SOCOM-16 or the Scout Squad would be better than the full length barrel.

Essentially, the M1A is the only real option we have. I'm not sure I trust the Mini-14 or the SU-16.
Old 05-12-2005, 1:43 PM

In our beloved PRK, I would urge you to consider a good lever rifle, or even a Bolt gun. The M1A is indeed an option, but very pricey and still limited to 10 rds. I would prefer the PRK-legal FN-FAL in a .308 semi-auto. A slick little .308 or .243 bolt gun will work if you are good with it. Even the relatively cheap milsurps are an option, and some are really good choices. I have an 03/A3 that is my current house rifle, and it works very well at that task.
Old 05-12-2005, 1:50 PM

I'd recomend The finest battle field implement ever devised, the M1 Garand. A CMP Garand is an inexpensive option.

--Ronaldus Maximus
Old 05-12-2005, 2:04 PM

if the S Really HTF... I think I'd opt for a battle field pick up in something with a select fire feature since *normal laws would probably no longer apply. If that was the case I would opt for the lightest rifle I could get with the most available ammo & spare parts in the field... M4 (AR15)

but really...
a M1a is a great choice!

others...
SKS
M1 Garand (possibly in .308)
FAL .308
Spanish bolt action Mauser(currently on the market) in .308

*disclaimer:
the word "normal" used in this context does not mean that I agree with the current state of affairs in California. I would also think SHTF would cause all of our rights to be repelled anyway and that any weapons we already have would be destroyed?
Old 05-12-2005, 4:10 PM

A Browning 1919 would be my choice of battle rifle/MG when *normal laws would no longer apply* I can, HYPOTHETICALLY:
- link up to how many rounds I want,
- no need to carry around a bunch of magazines.
- with a crank fire, it can be turned into a full-auto MG.
So it definite has the fire power over anything except an M2HB
- not much more expensive than an M1a (I got my semiauto 1919a4 for about $1300 with everything needed - linker, ~1000 links, spade grip, except the original tripod & mount I got separately for ~ $600, you can make your own pod or get a repro for much cheaper)

The only downside to this rifle would be the size and weight (~40lb rifle + 20lb tripod + ammo)

But other than that, here're my other choices:
M1a
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
Mini 14/30
CA Fal
SKS
CA AR15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> *disclaimer:
the word "normal" used in this context does not mean that I agree with the current state of affairs in California. I would also think SHTF would cause all of our rights to be repelled anyway and that any weapons we already have would be destroyed?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-12-2005, 4:46 PM

One of my so-called Cali "SHTF" rifles..

Old 05-12-2005, 5:09 PM

I never have understood the SHTF worries???
Makes even less sense to me when someone is willing to take on U.N. solders but is concerned that over 10 rounds are against the law….
But if you believe something might happen – a select fire M4, and a large stash of explosives.

If you are worried about riots – just about anything that goes bang will work.

And don’t forget to spray paint the backs of street signs as that is where the directions to the detainment camps are located.
Old 05-12-2005, 6:09 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 1919_4_ME:
One of my so-called Cali "SHTF" rifles..

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the rifle I'll have scorpionusa build me so I can mount it on my girlfriend's Jeep as we head for the hills with a trailor filled with Crystal Geyser, lots of warm cloths, crap load of MRE's, TP...
Old 05-12-2005, 9:21 PM

Heheh, I have the same plan but with the wife n' kids and my stash doesn't include that handsome beast... is it legal?
Old 05-12-2005, 10:09 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by icormba: This is the rifle I'll have scorpionusa build me so I can mount it on my girlfriend's Jeep as we head for the hills with a trailor filled with Crystal Geyser, lots of warm cloths, crap load of MRE's, TP... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep, it'll be ready by the end of this month, anyone want to test drive this baby, come to Metcalf 200yd range next Sunday 5/22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevil:
Heheh, I have the same plan but with the wife n' kids and my stash doesn't include that handsome beast... is it legal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hell yeah, it's totally legal here in PRK as long as it semiauto and the link is no longer than 10 rounds
Old 05-12-2005, 10:43 PM

In urban setting, you might be better off with 12 gauge shotgun + handgun. But if you live in more remote area, .308 bolt action or semi-auto might be a necessity.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:48 PM
Senioritis
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

BOOM!

There is the concept photoshop mock-up for my ideal California legal SHTF battle rifle... an M1 Garand with the "tanker" conversion to .308. SWEET rifle!

LAW483 is custom making the stock, this is going to be one fun shooter and beauty!

Thread where I talk about the stock

-toolman9000
Old 05-13-2005, 8:40 AM

I'm still inclined to a Ruger mini-30.

Still don't have one yet, so don't really know.
Old 05-13-2005, 9:06 AM

I would suggest the SOCOM and the SU-16. Although, some would say the SU is not a battle rifle, I believe for a SHTF scenario it is more that suitable. It is dependable, easy to shoot, lightweight and priced right. Other than that, a SKS would be my third suggestion. Although the SKS limited to 10 rds, you can easily stuff stripper clips in your pockets.
Old 05-13-2005, 9:08 AM
Calguns Addict

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimx:
I never have understood the SHTF worries???
Makes even less sense to me when someone is willing to take on U.N. solders but is concerned that over 10 rounds are against the law….
But if you believe something might happen – a select fire M4, and a large stash of explosives.

If you are worried about riots – just about anything that goes bang will work.

And don’t forget to spray paint the backs of street signs as that is where the directions to the detainment camps are located. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't this happen in 1991 or so when the rodney king trial was finished? I bet a lot of those anti-gun let-the-police-protect-you liberals were wondering why they had to wait 10 days before picking up their guns when they had to protect their homes and families Right Now since the police were outnumbered. "No Justice- No Peace" , yeah right.
Old 05-13-2005, 9:25 AM

WHEN and IF the SHTF, pretty much it'll be all bets are off, survival of the fittest, etc., so, you'll want the best rifle you can get. You don't want your primary battle rifle also hitting the fan do you?

For something to carry in your pack, the SU-16 can't be beat. With it's foldable stock, it can be brought into action in no time. Just don't lose the pin!

My main rifle would be the M1A, either the SOCOM or the standard length models. However, it is pricey. Mount a short range scope on there and you have an impromptu sniper rifle. Not as accurate as a bolt gun, but better than nothing.

Also, you may also want to stock up on ammo. When the SHTF, they will be high in demand. The first thing will be cut off will be access to weapons and ammo. Otherwise invest in a reloading press (that can load both rifle and pistol ammo) and stock up on LOTS of reloading components.

While we are on the topic a good shotgun such as a Remington 1100, 870, Mossberg 590, etc. with the usual accessories will be valuable in case you need to "sweep the streets" of vermin such as thugs, JBT's, etc.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Didn't this happen in 1991 or so when the rodney king trial was finished? I bet a lot of those anti-gun let-the-police-protect-you liberals were wondering why they had to wait 10 days before picking up their guns when they had to protect their homes and families Right Now since the police were outnumbered. "No Justice- No Peace" , yeah right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhhhh, I remember this time fondly. I worked at Turners in Pasadena at that time. We had to have one of the employees sit by the door with a shotgun and 1911 on the hip. He looked pretty intimidating (especially since he was a 6+ foot tall Native American Indian who had been a sniper during Vietnam).

Anyways, loved all the tree hugging anti-gunners (not that hugging a tree is bad) who came running in and wanting to buy a M-16 or AK-47. Here was a conversation I had with one.

Anti: "I'd like to buy a M-16 or AK-47 with a few clips and some armor piercing ammo.

Me: "Sorry we can't own that in Cali, because your Swinestein voting A-hole voted to outlaw them in this state and sorry no we do not sell exploding tip or armor piercing ammo is illegal". (okay, I was a little nicer, and didn't say this verbatum, but something similar to it.

"Anti: Fine, what can I get?"

Me: "You can get a AR-15, which is a semi auto version of the M-16 or a MAK-90 which is a semi-auto civilian version of the AK-47, but I would strongly suggest that you, given your limited exposure to firearms, should buy a shotgun and maybe a revolver"

Anti: "Nah, I want to be able to kill a bunch of rioters if they come down my street, so I'll take the AK thingie over there".

Me: "Sir, you are only justified in shooting someone if they are entering your home not just because they are coming down your street. But fine, it's your right, so lets do the paperwork and you can pick up the gun in 16 days"

Anti: "WHAT 16 F*%KING DAYS, I NEED IT NOW WE HAVE RIOTING THE NEXT CITY OVER AND I'M WORRIED THEY ARE GOING SPREAD TO MY NEIGHBORHOOD" (waiting period was 16 days back then)

Me: "Sorry sir, you voted for this mandatory 16 day "cooling off" period"

Anti: "WELL, WHAT THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO THEN"

Me: "I suggest you call 911, and they will probably be out to your place in an hour or two".

Anti: "That's crazy, what would you do if someone was rioting in your street"

Me: "Personally I'd feel sorry for them as I've got plenty of firearms and ammo to spare, now have a nice day".

Getting back to the original discussion, I'd carry my FAL para & 8 mags (in a chest harness) and a Glock in the holster. Wifey would back me up with the Benelli M3, and her glock, and the dog will be carrying the 50 bmg.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:51 PM

50 Freak,

I remember the King Riots well, was a regular at the Turner's in Orange at the time. As I recall I stopped buy the Orange store a few hours after that SOB Bradley started shirking ,"no justice no peace" and the lid blew off LA. People were five deep at the gun counter and those who already owned guns from the checkout to the back of the store buying ammo and I remember hearing, "what do you mean there is a XX day waiting period!" LOL, evevn my tree-hugging mother-in-law asking if she could borrow my guns to arm her tree-hugging family, how all looked down on me because of my shooting hobby. By the by, where do we start signing up for the California Minute Man Project? Oh, love the icon.
Old 05-13-2005, 1:31 PM
PGBsuperior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Telpierion:
I'd recomend The finest battle field implement ever devised, the M1 Garand. A CMP Garand is an inexpensive option. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that, I just bought my 4th Garand totally on impulse, a 43 H&R. Walked in, saw it, whipped out the plastic, done deal.

Once I had a Garand I wanted to ALWAYS have a Garand.

Get three of them. That way you can use the stacking swivels

Amy
Old 05-13-2005, 1:38 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That way you can use the stacking swivels </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, now I have an excuse to buy more.

--Ronaldus Maximus
Old 05-13-2005, 7:01 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 50 Freak:
and the dog will be carrying the 50 bmg. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

... quad-pod?
Old 05-13-2005, 8:22 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George:
People were five deep at the gun counter and those who already owned guns from the checkout to the back of the store buying ammo and I remember hearing, "what do you mean there is a XX day waiting period!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This must mean that there are a bunch of anti's out there who own firearms, who would probably be willing to sell 'em off cheaply since they probably "no longer need them".. Why not capitalize on this and offer to take the guns off of their hands at no charge??

Turby
Old 05-13-2005, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> quad-pod? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Self targeting mobile quad pod. Too be more precise.