Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-30-2005, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dave3006:
A friend of mine has some black tip AP 30-06 ammo. Is this legal in the once great state of California?

I shoot mostly Danish, LC ammo from CMP, and PMC ammo in mine. I have no idea about the ammor piercing stuff.
If I remember correctly, rifle caliber AP ammos are perfectly legal. But AP ammos for handguns are illegal to own/import/sell here in CA.
Old 05-31-2005, 8:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by -hanko:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by delloro:
.30-06 AP and M855/SS109 are 100% legal to buy, sell, possess and shoot from a rifle here in California. for now.
Correct, but real (see below) AP is illegal to manufacture for sale.

The SS109, though it has a steel pin under the jacket, is not considered AP by any military force I'm aware of. This http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=32349588 is NOT AP, in spite of the bravo sierra seller.

This http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m993.htm is current 5.56 AP, not on the market that I've seen, nor the bullets. I believe it uses a tungsten core.

Subjective testing with Federal XM193, and Malaysian & South African surplus (all 55gr) gave me great penetration through a 3/4 ton Suburban brake drum. So did Winchester Q3131A, Federal SM855, and some 62gr reloads set up to approximate the Federal ammo. Definitely not armor plate, but still impressive for most stuff around the farm & ranch . It's what you get with a small pointy fmj moving very fast.

-hanko

-hanko </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 05-30-2005, 11:17 AM

.30-06 AP and M855/SS109 are 100% legal to buy, sell, possess and shoot from a rifle here in California. for now.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by -hanko:

Subjective testing with Federal XM193, and Malaysian & South African surplus (all 55gr) gave me great penetration through a 3/4 ton Suburban brake drum. So did Winchester Q3131A, Federal SM855, and some 62gr reloads set up to approximate the Federal ammo. Definitely not armor plate, but definitely impressive for most stuff around the farm & ranch .

-hanko
Heh.

Kind of a Strausberg-esque sort of test in a sense.

...that is, if you've got a bunch of wild Chevrolets running around on your property.
Old 05-30-2005, 6:17 AM

A friend of mine has some black tip AP 30-06 ammo. Is this legal in the once great state of California?

I shoot mostly Danish, LC ammo from CMP, and PMC ammo in mine. I have no idea about the ammor piercing stuff.
Old 05-30-2005, 8:40 AM

Only .50bmg AP is legal in Cali.
Old 05-30-2005, 6:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
But illegal to manufacture for sale.

The SS109, though it has a steel pin under the jacket, is not considered AP by any military force I'm aware of. This http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=32349588 is NOT AP, in spite of the bravo sierra seller.

This http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m993.htm is current 5.56 AP, not on the market that I've seen, nor the bullets. I believe it uses a tungsten core.

Subjective testing with Federal XM193, and Malaysian & South African surplus (all 55gr) gave me great penetration through a 3/4 ton Suburban brake drum. So did Winchester Q3131A, Federal SM855, and some 62gr reloads set up to approximate the Federal ammo. Definitely not armor plate, but definitely impressive for most stuff around the farm & ranch .

-hanko

-hanko

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain