Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-24-2005, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chunger:
I think it'd be great. . . I don't like writing letters all the time that "I'm mad about this bill" and "I oppose that bill". . . I would like to rally to support something instead.

What do we need to get these people to do? Write a letter? Or sign a petition?

-'Chung
Both. I think it would be great if we could get a petition of support with a 100k plus signatures in support of AB 448. I also think a massive letter writing campaign a few weeks prior to the bill being heard would be good too.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Calguns Addict

The best thing we can do is to do everything possible to see to it that the redistricting initiative makes it to the ballot in November, and to spread the word about what it actually does. In a poll, most peoploe opposed it until they knew what it was, and then most supported it. The liberals are desperately lying and spending money to try to keep it off the ballot, or to scare people into voting no.

Nothing in this state will change until we completely shake out the Legislature. AB448 might come back, but it'll die. SB357 and AB352 might not pass, but they'll keep being reintroduced until they do. Unless we redraw all districts and have one big new election.

If we get districts that are fairly drawn by independant entities, rather than the monstrosities that are created by the Legislature we have now, we'll wind up with a far more moderate Legislature. There'll probably still be a Democratic majority, but not a huge majority, and most of those Democrats will be more moderate.

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-23-2005, 10:54 PM

I think it'd be great. . . I don't like writing letters all the time that "I'm mad about this bill" and "I oppose that bill". . . I would like to rally to support something instead.

What do we need to get these people to do? Write a letter? Or sign a petition?

-'Chung
Old 06-23-2005, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

HI everyone,
I read in the GOC newsletter sent to me that Jay La Suer's bill to repeal the AW ban was pulled from committee vote to keep it from being killed this year, but it will be heard again in January 2006. We have 7 months to raise support among Ca gun owners for this bill. Anyone want to help get the word out?

On a different topic, I am thinking of ways we can get the word out to the average Ca gun owner about bills in the legislature they need to write or call their politicians about. I know from experience that most CA gun owners are not members of the NRA, GOC, or CRPA, and don't stay informed. I had this idea of recruiting local gun stores, ranges, and clubs to help spread the word when a bad bill comes up. For ranges and stores, I would only request they allow some flyers to be placed on their counter near the register. For clubs, I would ask they distribute flyers to their members at their matches and events, and include notices in their email notices to members. If we can get the gun owners of Ca to act, we will win since we are in the majority. Anyone think this is a good idea? Anyone with some useful input?
Old 06-24-2005, 4:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by jnojr:
The best thing we can do is to do everything possible to see to it that the redistricting initiative makes it to the ballot in November, and to spread the word about what it actually does.

Nothing in this state will change until we completely shake out the Legislature. AB448 might come back, but it'll die. SB357 and AB352 might not pass, but they'll keep being reintroduced until they do.
Jnojr is right. The long term cure for the disease is the special election concerning redistricting. Hoever, looking at the polls the news media keeps harping on, it looks like Ahrnold is going under water and taking the special election with him. If there's hope to get the facts out and convince enough Californians to vote for the redistricting plan, then let's work on that until November. After November, we can barrage the Asembly with letters of support and phone calls for AB448.

So, what can we do? I'm in the liberal bay area, Fremont, and know the people we really need to convince to support the redistricting reside more in the Central valley and middle Ca, the part away from LA and the SF bay area. Any suggestions?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

In total agreement here - I've got my pen and paper primed and ready. Wrote in to oppose SB357, will write in to SUPPORT AB448.

Let's coordinate efforts so that the effect is one of massive letters flowing in all at once!

Turby