Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-30-2005, 1:27 PM

I've got a stainless Marlin 995 22lr. Nice to shoot, very accurate and no aftermarket parts to drool over.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:45 AM

For the 10/22 22lr, you'll be looking at the 17HM2's. 17HMR is a necked down 22 Mag.
Volquartsen in my opinion is the best place to go to for 10/22 parts. I ordered a rifle from them and could not have thought of a better way to thin my wallet.

Old 10-01-2005, 6:56 AM
Veteran Member

If you want to do a cheap upgrade that will improve the way your new rifle shoots get a Volquartsen target hammer. This will improve the trigger pull immensely. The change will be like night and day. They run about $30. Mark
Old 09-30-2005, 4:55 PM
Calguns Addict

You can get a fancy wood stock like that and a Green Mountain heavy barrel for about $200-225 as a pair.
Trigger parts can cost you anywhere from $50-250 depending on how crazy you want to get.

I built up an ultra lightweight (magnum lite barrel, hogue stock), and sold the parts to a friend (the rifle was so light it was hard to shoot accurately!). I re-did mine with a fluted Green Mountain barrel and the identical stock pictured. I put Power Custom Titanium internals in it, and re-did the trigger by hand until I was happy with the pull (about 1.5#).

Total cost- Rifle + $250 (bbl, stock) + 150 (trigger, bolt parts, misc).

I boguth hte rifle used off a freind, so I got it cheap - you'll only use the receiver and bolt and (sometimes) the trigger housing.

-Dave
Old 09-30-2005, 12:38 PM

Depending on how extensively you'll be working on your 10/22, you might as well just buy a Volquartsen reciever and start from there. Like Pouchey mentioned, when everything is said and done, there will only be a couple Ruger components left in the rifle.....
Old 09-30-2005, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

And if you don't want to do a bunch of upgrading, you can save some money with a Marlin Model 60, which is also reliable and accurate. Mine's actually a bit more accurate than my stainless 10/22 rifle-length, and the tube mag holds 14 rounds to boot.

They're not much for upgrading, though. The Ruger's much better for tinkering and tweaking.

max

NRA Life Member
Old 09-30-2005, 11:29 AM
HEUER

I will be purchasing a new 22LR semi-auto next week and it will probably be a 10/22. I have owned them in the past, and you can't beat the out of the box reliability and accuracy.

I would like to purchase a standard barel stainless synthetic model with iron sights.

Has anyone experience with the ruger 10/22 in .17 HMR? Are the Volquartson 10/22's worth the price? Tell me your 10/22 set ups!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:50 AM

I have the stainless, iron sights stadard joint. It is a jolly shooter but I must say I should have bought the cheapest one out there. I spent extra money on stainless wood stock etc. But, I find it to be a bit pedestrian after a couple of range trips. I want it to look like the gun posted above. So when all is said and done, very little of the original rifle is left. If you can I suggest buying one sans barrel and stock. Save your money for the shiney stuff.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:35 PM

Why? I bought two of the last year for my boys, all I added was red dot sights and they're plenty accurate. Seems like a lot of money to spend on a plinking rifle IMO.