Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-01-2005, 2:02 PM

Is this irony or what.
http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=43722

"To: National Desk

Contact: Alan Gottlieb of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, 425-454-4911; Web: http://www.ccrkba.org

BELLEVUE, Wash., March 1 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The arrest of a Springfield, Ill. anti-gun activist by police who allegedly found an illegal handgun and drugs in her home during a contested search prompted the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms to bid Annette "Flirty" Stevens a "welcome to the party."

Stevens became an activist with the Million Mom March after her son was gunned down in 2002. She has acknowledged having the gun -- from which the serial number had been removed -- in her home. The handgun belonged to her late son, Jericko Clark, she insisted, and she had simply wrapped it up and forgotten about it after finding it several months after his slaying. She claims the search was illegal.

"Annette Stevens may now understand why so many law-abiding people are fed up with the kind of gun laws that are promoted by the Million Mom March and other extremist gun control organizations," said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb. "Ironically, the law against filing serial numbers off firearms is one that gun rights activists and organizations have long supported. Yet here she is, this 'poster mom' for gun control, acknowledging that she has kept an illegally-altered handgun in her home while she's been campaigning to deprive other citizens of their firearms.

"In the kind of Draconian anti-gun society Stevens and her cohorts are trying to create," Gottlieb continued, "it wouldn't matter if she were innocent as she claims. Under the laws her group supports, gun owners are essentially considered guilty until they prove themselves otherwise. That's everything from background checks to waiting periods, and certainly the Illinois requirement that gun owners have a Firearms Owners Identification Card. Stevens has no FOID card, so there's another gun law violation. There are thousands of local and state laws across the country that the Million Moms support, none of which have done anything to prevent a single crime. All they do is chip away at the gun rights of law-abiding citizens.

"If Stevens is so convinced guns don't belong in society," Gottlieb observed, "then why didn't she immediately turn that gun over to the police when she found it more than two years ago? Why did she keep it? What's wrong with this picture? Ms. Stevens is about to learn that supporting gun control is like keeping a vicious dog. They sometimes bite the hands that feed them."

With more than 650,000 members and supporters nationwide, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms ( http://www.ccrkba.org ) is one of the nation's premier gun rights organizations. As a non-profit organization, the Citizens Committee is dedicated to preserving firearms freedoms through active lobbying of elected officials and facilitating grass-roots organization of gun rights activists in local communities throughout the United States.

http://www.usnewswire.com/"

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin
Old 03-01-2005, 2:02 PM

Is this irony or what.
http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=43722

"To: National Desk

Contact: Alan Gottlieb of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, 425-454-4911; Web: http://www.ccrkba.org

BELLEVUE, Wash., March 1 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The arrest of a Springfield, Ill. anti-gun activist by police who allegedly found an illegal handgun and drugs in her home during a contested search prompted the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms to bid Annette "Flirty" Stevens a "welcome to the party."

Stevens became an activist with the Million Mom March after her son was gunned down in 2002. She has acknowledged having the gun -- from which the serial number had been removed -- in her home. The handgun belonged to her late son, Jericko Clark, she insisted, and she had simply wrapped it up and forgotten about it after finding it several months after his slaying. She claims the search was illegal.

"Annette Stevens may now understand why so many law-abiding people are fed up with the kind of gun laws that are promoted by the Million Mom March and other extremist gun control organizations," said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb. "Ironically, the law against filing serial numbers off firearms is one that gun rights activists and organizations have long supported. Yet here she is, this 'poster mom' for gun control, acknowledging that she has kept an illegally-altered handgun in her home while she's been campaigning to deprive other citizens of their firearms.

"In the kind of Draconian anti-gun society Stevens and her cohorts are trying to create," Gottlieb continued, "it wouldn't matter if she were innocent as she claims. Under the laws her group supports, gun owners are essentially considered guilty until they prove themselves otherwise. That's everything from background checks to waiting periods, and certainly the Illinois requirement that gun owners have a Firearms Owners Identification Card. Stevens has no FOID card, so there's another gun law violation. There are thousands of local and state laws across the country that the Million Moms support, none of which have done anything to prevent a single crime. All they do is chip away at the gun rights of law-abiding citizens.

"If Stevens is so convinced guns don't belong in society," Gottlieb observed, "then why didn't she immediately turn that gun over to the police when she found it more than two years ago? Why did she keep it? What's wrong with this picture? Ms. Stevens is about to learn that supporting gun control is like keeping a vicious dog. They sometimes bite the hands that feed them."

With more than 650,000 members and supporters nationwide, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms ( http://www.ccrkba.org ) is one of the nation's premier gun rights organizations. As a non-profit organization, the Citizens Committee is dedicated to preserving firearms freedoms through active lobbying of elected officials and facilitating grass-roots organization of gun rights activists in local communities throughout the United States.

http://www.usnewswire.com/"

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin
Old 03-01-2005, 2:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Well I guess this makes it a trend in MMM: ;-)

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a39d62c8074ed.htm describes:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The march also had its share of victims; people who had suffered as a result of the criminal use of firearms or gun accidents ... ...one victim was Barbara Lipscomb, a mother and grandmother, whose son, Le’Pierre Clemons, was “gunned down” on Martin Luther King Jr’s birthday just four months prior. Le’Pierre was another victim of teenage violence in the nation’s capitol, and his mom told everyone she was going to the MMM to stop the violence.

Yet, 2 months later, on July 14, 2000 Barbara Lipscomb, now known as Barbara Ann Martin, found herself under arrest on a charge of assault with intent to kill. According to the Washington Post, DC police say they found "three handguns and a TEC-9 submachine gun at her home."

Her arrest resulted from an attack on a 21-year-old man who was shot three times with one of those bullets lodging in his spine. The attack occurred on January 26th, less than two weeks after Le’Pierre’s murder. The police commander of the 7th District explained the January 26th shooting as "a vigilante antic that went awry this was an innocent man, and now he is paralyzed.” It obviously was an act of violence and retribution by a woman who supported and was supported by the MMM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

MMM is a dying organization. In its 'prime' it was pumped full of $$ to try to elect Gore the Bore and was in many ways less of a gun control organization than one facet of Gore's campaign fundraising opertaion masked as grassroots gun control (shades of the Buddhist nuns). As soon as election was over, MMM rapidly shrunk; it was never a grassroots org but was a collection of PR pros and social engineers.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-01-2005, 4:42 PM
Calguns Addict

I'll be waiting to see this news article heavily covered by all the news networks and news papers. I can see it in two inch high letters on the front page of the LA Times.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
― Robert A. Heinlein
Old 03-02-2005, 2:58 AM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I get meetup anouncements from the MMM, I send in a meetup place every month in hopes that at least 2 others will respond, and meet me in the eastbay. So far in 2 years not once have 2 others decided to attend. They are dying in this area anyhow. I wonder how they would feel when I show up in BDU's with a peace through superior firepower button on.
Old 03-02-2005, 7:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wonder how they would feel when I show up in BDU's with a peace through superior firepower button on </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooooh, I love that.

Awhile back I once ventured to Berzerkeley for a concert at Zellerbach auditorium. It's a classical concert so you do get usu softheaded libs in the crowd.

I was (verbally) assailed twice by different folks.

One complainant said my "Peace thru superior firepower" bumpersticker on my F150 "might set someone over the edge", and did I realize I was promoting violence? (I just smiled, made some comments about how 'some violence can be useful and good' and moved on. I was dressed in a suit & tie.)

Then I was assailed by a sandal-wearing hippie type who said I really should consider a less polluting vehicle than my F150.

HE WAS DRIVING AN EARLY 1970s VW MICROBUS - no smogging required etc. I was so dumbstruck I didn't know what to say...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 03-02-2005, 9:02 AM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Reminds me of vegans wearing leather shoes.
Old 03-02-2005, 9:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ivanimal:
Reminds me of vegans wearing leather shoes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

;-)

Well continuing that theme I'm really hijacking this thread into anti-hippy etc. but here goes... (waiting for a compile & test run at work)...

About 5+ years ago I went into a Costco to load up on supplies for an upcoming BBQ.

A little college girl, kinda cute but dressed like a hippy, was passing out pro-vegetarian flyers - didn't realize what it was til I had one, thought it was a promotional flyer/coupon at first. The flyer was a mixed screed about animal cruelty and how unhealthy meat is and how good veggies are for you.

I thought no more of it, other than "those wackos need to get a job" and turned to the delicious Costco hotdog stand for a wonderful $1.50 hotdog and Coke. I then loaded the dog up w/condiments.

I'm about to eat my loaded dog but sure enough the selfsame little veggie girl pops up at my elbow when I turn around, and asks,

"Sir, are you going to eat that?"

"Well, yes, I paid for it. Something wrong with it?" I reply.

I know what's coming and decide to have fun with it.

"Didn't you know that Meat is Murder?" she asks. (She was very polite and restrained.)

"Well, then, honey, I'm a serial cow killer." I just smile.

Long face, abrupt pause. She parries, "But what about the pain, the suffering involved? Don't you ever think of that?"

"Yes, I do indeed. I had a headache and a gut ache I was so hungry. Then I came here and I feel better already." I'm really starting to roll now.

"You realize a beautiful cow died just for your hot dog?" she enquires - still polite and conversational, so I maintain the same agreeable civility.

"Well, honey, I'd really, really hope Hebrew National is more efficient than using one cow per hotdog. I'd think the product manager for would be fired if they ever found that out. Either that, or you're gonna have one helluva big hotdog!"

She's clearly not run into somone like myself before. She's used to people avoiding her, a few agreeing with her, or calling her a nutcase.

I add, "There's is, in fact, a small but comforting chance that this hotdog came from the same cow that made this nice leather jacket, or these nice Cole-Haans, or my fine leather seating in my Thunderbird over there. Now THAT'S what I call true American efficiency: eating something that you can also wear, walk around in, and sit on and drive."

I was gonna tell her I was helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions by killing the cow early (cow farts may be worse than automobile emissions, some say) but I'd had enough fun and she seemed about to cry. Poor girl walked off - I could tell she seriouly believed all the crap someone had filled her head with.

Kinda felt bad because she was, well, cute & innocent. With a bit of upkeep, in fact, she'd look great in a leather miniskirt and Via Spiga Italian leather shoes.

Epilogue: I went shopping inside Costco after a truly excellent hotdog. Got myself 6 NY steaks, a mega-bottle of A1 Sauce and a family pack of garlic sausages.

Little girl was still passing out flyers - so as I walked by I waved the meaty 6-pack and sausages in one hand, and the bottle of A1 (held like a bottle of beer) in the other. I swear the poor thing looked like she'd just seen a child burn alive in a house fire.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 03-02-2005, 10:15 AM

Heh I think the new F-150's are actually marked as "clean air vehicles". I heard even the new mustang carried that title. Something about emissions standards that were significantly lower than almost any other car on the market. VW's are great cars, but most are polluters.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

BlingBling...

I now drive a 2004 F150 w/4.6LV8. It's emissions sticker under the hood lists it as a Calif. "Ultra-Low Emissions Vehicle" (ULEV).

When I wrote the above this was in early 90s with an '89 F150 w/5.0LV8. Still it had to be 5000X cleaner than the old VW bus, which even if running fine w/new engine had NO catalytic converter, NO fuel inejction, NO decel fuel cutoff, NO EGR, and NO electronic ignition.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 03-03-2005, 11:18 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bwiese:
Still it had to be 5000X cleaner than the old VW bus, which even if running fine w/new engine had NO catalytic converter, NO fuel inejction, NO decel fuel cutoff, NO EGR, and NO electronic ignition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to mention the fact that air-cooled motors generally need to run richer than normal to avoid turning into molten puddles of aluminum.
Try leaning out a VW motor and watch the thing glow like the sun.

Anyway...

As for the MMM - At least in this new case concerning Annette Stevens, she did not play the part of a vigilante and go gun down some innocent person like Barbara Lipscomb. Her "crime" (in the case of the gun) are the types we can probably relate fairly well. She merely possessed a gun (although it was not hers really), and did nothing criminal through simply having it in her possession. There's a lesson to be learned there, I think.

I find it interesting that she claims that the search was illegal. If so, I hope the charges are dropped and that the "clue gene" finally turns to active status for her. Having reformed antis get involved in our fight is crucial, IMO.
Who knows what the "drug charges" were?
Old 03-04-2005, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Probably illegal cold medicine.

I will vote for a donkey-sex maniac if he's pro-gun.
-BWiese