Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-20-2009, 4:28 PM
Veteran Member

Default CCW idea for those in anti-issue counties...

O.K., so I read all these hypothetical questions that are usually some screwball way around CA gun laws. So heres mine

Could one start a business that provides personal security for high profile individuals/business/whatever, that requires being armed, therefore a need/just cause for a CCW? Regardless if you ever actually have a client.

So, kooky or do-able?
Old 08-20-2009, 4:37 PM

only problem would be to "prove your business". For me to prove my business in san diego I needed:

1) EIN number
2) local business permit
3) state business permit
4) my national license (DEA #)
5) articles of incorporation
6) domestic stock receipt
7) retail seller's permit

so you would have to have a legit business with all the permits etc etc etc
Old 08-20-2009, 7:04 PM

proving it would be easy. Getting approved for that is what would be hard. The city you decide to "open your business" in would have to approve your license. For what you are thinking it's not easy for the city to say go ahead.
Old 08-20-2009, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvgunright View Post
only problem would be to "prove your business". For me to prove my business in san diego I needed:

1) EIN number
2) local business permit
3) state business permit

This is what I had to show as well and in my renewal packet I have to reproduce all of the same.

Old 08-20-2009, 7:56 PM

Quote:

1) EIN number
2) local business permit
3) state business permit

-employer id number - ok
-business permits state/local - ok
-national license (DEA#) - what is that?
-articles of incorporation - do you need to be incorporated? can't a LLC do the same thing?
-domestic stock receipt - ??
-resell permit - exactly what are you reselling that you have to collect tax on?
Old 08-21-2009, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat038536 View Post
-employer id number - ok
-articles of incorporation - do you need to be incorporated? can't a LLC do the same thing?
-resell permit - exactly what are you reselling that you have to collect tax on?
Resale permit may not be required if you are only offering a service. You never know in CA as they may require us to start taxing services. I have herd of others trying to get a CCW for this type of work and I understand it may be a uphill climb but when I went for mine I was told the same thing and yet I got it so you might as well try. Good luck and I hope you get it

Old 08-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Banned

I would think the fact that you would have to skirt around the law a little hypothetically already means you are in a very anti-issue county, so even if you did set up your security business, it will be so heavily scrutinized by the dept. you are trying to apply with. I know in all anti-issue counties like in LA, they actually look for all the little reasons NOT to give you a permit. I'm sure they will find it a little weird even if you provide all the permits needed why you don't have clientele, references, websites, etc. In LA County, it actually goes from CCW coordinator str8 to Waldie, the Undersheriff to be diligently scrutinized before heading off to Baca, the Sheriff to be signed off. I'm sure for all the legitimate security and consultant companies that apply in CA, they provide alot more stuff than just the required permits. They usually know all the LE agencies around the area from previous work or background, friends with high ranking LEOs, character reference and vouching from other security companies, LEOs, or even chiefs of police. And most of all, they usually hire ex-military or ex-LE that know the ins and outs. They probably know all about the company and people before it even hits the chief or sheriff.

I would think that all the time and money spent, it would be a huge waste of time. On top of that, the trouble you might get into if you actually found yourself in a legitimate gunfight. The courts won't look too highly on the fact your CCW permit was approved thru dubious means. You might want to just find work in executive protection or bodyguard services and when employed, you can find it much easier to apply for a CCW permit, without having to set up an actual business.

If carrying a gun has always been a life dream of yours, becoming a Reserve LEO wouldn't hurt that much. Not only is it quite fun and giving back to your community, to only give up several hours of your time every month so that you can carry a gun legitimately is totally worth it. There are just too many headaches and potential liabilities involved with going the "gray" route. And imagine if you got caught lying...thats basically grounds for denial on ALL future CCW applications even if you were to ever move to a friendly issue county.
Old 08-21-2009, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat038536 View Post
-employer id number - ok
that was my own situation for the DEA (drug enforcement agency) and reseller's permit. Just wanted to let you know the extent of "proving your business" that was required in my county of san diego
Old 08-21-2009, 7:31 PM
Banned

I know a guy in San Diego who worked part time for a security company - his SD Co CCW said it was only good when "working"....and at renewal time - it wasn't....
Old 08-21-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
O.K., so I read all these hypothetical questions that are usually some screwball way around CA gun laws. So heres mine

Could one start a business that provides personal security for high profile individuals/business/whatever, that requires being armed, therefore a need/just cause for a CCW? Regardless if you ever actually have a client.

So, kooky or do-able?
Sign me up
Old 08-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

If you think its hard to get a CCW now, try using any type of security for your reason. IIRC, Sac had the policy that being in any type of security was a non qualifyer. I think unless your former LE, it would make it harder
Old 08-25-2009, 7:17 PM

Quote:

1) EIN number
2) local business permit
3) state business permit

I would imagine that you'd have to show proof of insurance coverage as well for your national license. I'm guessing that insuring a security company would be very expensive.

R