Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 08-19-2009, 8:01 AM

Default Mossberg 500/590 barrels interchangeable

I've been thinking about getting a shotgun for awhile now but never looked into details, until yesterday my grandfather and I went fishing and he asked me to get my hunting license this year so I can take him dove hunting. I was looking at the Mossberg 590a1 with ghost ring. For easier target acquisition for home defense, but since I'm going to be hunting with it too I'd like to get an 28" barrel for it. My question now is if I was to purchase a 590a1 can I get an 500 28" barrel and exchange it for hunting purposes. I would assume it would be fine but when I googled it and went to wikipedia this is what it says...

"The primary difference between the Model 500 and Model 590 is in magazine tube design. The Model 500 magazines are closed at the muzzle end, and the barrel is held in place by bolting into a threaded hole at the end of the magazine tube. Model 590 magazines are open at the end, and the barrels fit around the magazine tube and are held on by a nut at the end. The Model 500 magazine facilitates easy barrel changes, as the barrel bolt serves no function other than holding the barrel in place. The Model 590 magazine facilitates easy cleaning and parts replacement, as removing the nut allows removal of the magazine spring and follower."

Does this mean I can't buy a 500 28" barrel and put it onto the 590a1?

I've never owned a shotgun before and some of the terms confuses me... Please help out this shottie newb..
Old 08-19-2009, 8:27 AM
Calguns Addict

I do not believe 590 and 500 barrels interchange, because on 590's the barrel attaches via a "ring" if that makes sense; there is open space and the ring portion slides over the mag tube and secures with the nut at the end. This might not be a problem with certain barrels, but the 590's mag tube is too long for standard sized 500 barrels. If you swap the 590's magazine for a 5-round standard 500 tube, the standard 500 barrels will fit it.

On the other hand, I believe Mossberg 835 barrels will fit the 590, but I could be wrong. Try calling a local gun shop, Mossberg, or Havlin Sales on this subject. Someone here might be able to confirm it, and later on today when I have time I will research it deeper if you haven't gotten your answer yet.

Good luck.
Old 08-19-2009, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbn620 View Post
I do not believe 590 and 500 barrels interchange, because on 590's the barrel attaches via a "ring" if that makes sense; there is open space and the ring portion slides over the mag tube and secures with the nut at the end. This might not be a problem with certain barrels, but the 590's mag tube is too long for standard sized 500 barrels. If you swap the 590's magazine for a 5-round standard 500 tube, the standard 500 barrels will fit it.

On the other hand, I believe Mossberg 835 barrels will fit the 590, but I could be wrong. Try calling a local gun shop, Mossberg, or Havlin Sales on this subject. Someone here might be able to confirm it, and later on today when I have time I will research it deeper if you haven't gotten your answer yet.

Good luck.
Thanks for the quik response. After reading your post I have email mossberg. Like I said I'm a noob on shotguns and any input is appreciated
Old 08-19-2009, 9:23 AM

Mossberg isn't going to tell you the truth if barrels from one model will fit another. They don't want to be liable anything happens.

The 18.5" barrel 6+1 shot 590A1 - It has the same mag tube setup as the 835 & 500 Tactical Breacher shotgun. The barrels will interchange on all three of these shotguns. 835 barrels have a 3.5" chamber so don't fire 3.5" shells out of one installed on a 6+1 shot 590. Same goes if anyone installs a 3" chamber barrel on a 835.

Barrels from a standard 500 won't work because it has a different mag tube setup.

GC
Old 08-19-2009, 9:51 AM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

My Mossy ATP-6 (500, 5+1 capacity) and ATP-8 (500, 7+1) have different thread pitches where the magazine tube threads into the receiver. The 8's threads are coarser and made to be removed by hand.
The ATP-6 is the current standard 500 5+1 Mossberg.
All kinds of barrels are available for the 6s.
The current best deal for a starting shotgun is one of the combo packs where you get a 500 action, a pistol grip, a butt stock, and both an 18" HD Cylinder Bore choked barrel and a 28" Modified choke barrel. Check Big 5 etc for the combo packs.

Also, the 6's handle and point much better for hunting and skeet / clay shooting.

Last edited by ojisan; 08-19-2009 at 10:02 AM..