Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 08-14-2009, 9:42 PM
Banned

Default Legality of .40 caliber handguns while hunting.

I just want to clear up some confusions im having, as i have read that you cannot carry handguns with a caliber less than .357 while hunting.

I have a Glock .40 cal, i would rather bring it with me, because i live in a bad neighborhood and i will be out hunting for a few days, some little punk might decide to break into my house during this time.

Is it legal to carry a Glock in .40 while hunting. What if i kept the magazines seperate from the handgun?

I wish i had a gunsafe but freakin Lowes hasnt approved my CC application yet.

I am a little paranoid but i have good reason to believe the people in my neighborhood are shiesty little thugs. I have already had two cars broken into right in front of my house, and the police blotter in my area has reported a home burglary almost every few days. Before i leave for my hunting/camping i am literally clearing the whole house of any valuables, and depositing all my cash into the bank.
Old 08-14-2009, 9:48 PM

Get a copy of the hunting regulations. There's a lot of really good information in there. They're free.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I think you ought to up and start hunting in your own neighborhood. That police blotter will sure change. In all seriousness I don't think there's a problem with having a loaded .40 caliber handgun while hunting as long as it's not concealed. Check with fish and game just to be safe.
Old 08-15-2009, 2:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Worse case is if you can't bring it with you, maybe keep it under lock and key in your car? Probably not ideal for you but probably better than leaving it at home. What part of Oakland do you live in? Just curious since I live there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1 View Post
Z gets around. lol
Old 08-15-2009, 4:20 AM

Mine is always on my hip while hunting. It is for protection, not hunting.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
Mine is always on my hip while hunting. It is for protection, not hunting.
+1.
Old 08-18-2009, 7:09 AM
Veteran Member

But if you're hunting in the Condor area, remember to get lead free bullets for that 40. They aren't cheap. I always have my Glock 35 on me when hunting
Old 08-18-2009, 7:54 AM

If you are hunting a big-game mammal during its archery season, or are hunting during the general season on an archery-only permit, then it is unlawful to possess a firearm under section 354(h) of the regulations and Cal. F&G Code s 4370, violation of which is a misdemeanor under Cal. F&G Code s 12000.

Also, any pistol or revolver used to take big horn sheep needs to have a 4-in barrel under regulation section 353(d)

Other than that, regulation section 353(c) states: "Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs."

In short: if you are not hunting under archery restrictions, nor one of the incredibly fortunate few to draw a big horn sheep hunt, then the glock is good to go.
Old 08-18-2009, 8:23 AM

concealed is a ok as long as you posses a hunting license. i would definitly break the law and carry if i was bow hunting. i dont want to be eaten alive by a lion. id much rather have the fine.
Old 08-18-2009, 8:54 AM
Banned

I carry my .41 Mag Blackhawk when I hunt. I'd rather have 6 shots with good energy instead of 15 shots of a round that might not get past a Black Bear's hide... (I'm exaggerating, of course, but you get the concept)
Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Back in like 92 my family (Grandfather, Dad, Dad's Uncle and I) hunted SE Idaho and ran into some young guys (mid twenties) we had just shot 2-3 does (it was an either sex area) with various handguns including a .40 cal. We stopped and talked to them and I just remember "Yup, we got them up on that hill right there" (just above the road).

I carry during bow season as I'm more fearful of cats and marijuana farmers than the fine.

224 rounds of high quality Winchester .223 FS/FT

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1226164
Old 08-18-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
I carry during bow season as I'm more fearful of cats and marijuana farmers than the fine.
+ a milli
Old 08-18-2009, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoppenberger View Post
concealed is a ok as long as you posses a hunting license. ie.
Are you 100% sure about conceled ok? I have always wondered about this. I almost always carry a backup handgun while hunting for various reasons and different types depending on situation I expect to possibly encounter.

I don't archery hunt and I doubt I'll ever go for a bighorn sheep. I think elk has that 4" or greater rule as well.
Old 08-19-2009, 6:38 AM
Veteran Member

When I used to reside in Washington state. I carried a 44 mag while hunting.
I used to have a CCW. But when hunting Muzzle Loader season, we are not allowed to carry any modern firearms.

Hunting pigs in CA, I will carry my Glock 20, 10mm as my backup.

Last edited by Mstnpete; 08-20-2009 at 11:23 PM..
Old 08-19-2009, 8:40 AM

I had a game warden explain to me the legality of packing hunting.

he told me that i could conceal the second i left my house on my way to the hunt as well. He also said that in his opinion, packing while bow hunting/black powder is OK in his book, thats withen the spirit of the law since you clearly wouldnt shoot something with a compact automatic.

its all listed laws- look them up.

the ****%y thing about our countrys laws though, as prolly any country, is that one officer to the next doesnt know the same laws/interpret them the same
its really the freaking wild west out there, each cop/officer being different. just cause one thing is totally legal doesnt mean you wont be arrested just to have the charges dropped and your guns confiscated. its best to avoid big brother at all costs-

Last edited by hnoppenberger; 08-19-2009 at 8:44 AM..
Old 08-19-2009, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoppenberger View Post
I had a game warden explain to me the legality of packing hunting.

he told me that i could conceal the second i left my house on my way to the hunt as well.
That seems very iffy to me. Seems like a cool guy that uses some common sense but I'd not want to only go by that.
Old 08-20-2009, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khram View Post
That seems very iffy to me. Seems like a cool guy that uses some common sense but I'd not want to only go by that.
im just telling you what a federal agent told me. he also told me some spots to bag cats. the regs are published, you can check it yourself.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Banned

Cool stuff, guess im packing the .40 when i go. I would never shoot a deer with it though, those kids are retards.
Old 08-21-2009, 5:16 PM

Yes you can conceal a weapon on the way to and from fishing trips. You can also conceal while hunting and fishing if you have a liscense. Just read up on all this stuff. Technicaly isn't a .40 caliber bigger then a .357? It has less velocity and ftlbs but technicaly .40 is a larger caliber projectile? I would carry it but if you have to shoot a bear coming to eat you make sure you save a round or two for yourself when it is eating you.

Anyways get a 10mm glock with conversion barrel for 40. Load you 40 for 2 legged bad guys and cheap ammo at the range. Load up double tap 10mm for sidearm while hunting it can take dear size game easily and can take a bear if you don't have a 41 or 44 mag.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgiven View Post
I think you ought to up and start hunting in your own neighborhood. That police blotter will sure change. In all seriousness I don't think there's a problem with having a loaded .40 caliber handgun while hunting as long as it's not concealed. Check with fish and game just to be safe.
Actually, there are many threads about the fact that you CAN CCW while hunting with a loaded gun provided there are not other prohibitions...
Old 08-23-2009, 3:22 PM

Well here is the one thing you are missing about CCW'ing and the whole fishing/hunting angle. You can only have it loaded if you are in an area that it is legal to discharge it in. So, to be on the safe side, you could carry concealed if you are in fact on the way to your destination to hunt or fish but it cannot be loaded until you get there and let's say your fishing destination is not legal to shoot, well then I would have to say it would not be legal to carry it loaded there. Something to think about. Myself, I put my Glock 23 in my pack until I get to my destination and then it rides on my hip, with a round in the chamber until I leave the area.