Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 08-13-2009, 4:06 PM

Default AMT Hardballer 1911 7 inch Longslide 45 ACP

I was just at my smith's place getting some work done and he told me he had a longslide he was looking to sell. He was looking to get around 650 for it which seems like a good deal after seeing one sold on gunbroker for almost 900. what do you guys think? it is not a 99% gun like this one claims to be but it has some nice upgrades and custom work done by him.

this is the gunbroker one (not the one I saw) but it is the exact same gun.
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=128278963

Last edited by roc; 08-13-2009 at 4:16 PM..
Old 08-13-2009, 4:11 PM

The quality on the AMT has never been up to the Colt, Detonics, Wilson or other high end 1911 handguns in my opioion. That being said, if in good conditin $650 is not to bad.
Old 08-13-2009, 4:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have one in the 10mm flavor - Quite picky with ammo - I know there are springs out that that will fix the problems - They are fun - I'd pick it up - That's a very nice price -
Old 08-13-2009, 6:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by udannlin View Post
I was just at my smith's place getting some work done and he told me he had a longslide he was looking to sell. He was looking to get around 650 for it which seems like a good deal after seeing one sold on gunbroker for almost 900. what do you guys think? it is not a 99% gun like this one claims to be but it has some nice upgrades and custom work done by him.

this is the gunbroker one (not the one I saw) but it is the exact same gun.
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=128278963
I've owned one for many years, and the only advice I can give you is that they're hard on recoil springs due to the extra slide mass, the stock extractors don't...at least not 100%...Wilson makes a good replacement, and all AMT's are fixer-uppers.

Other than that, the price isn't too far off, just so long as you understand you'd be buying a builder.
- Jeff Cooper

Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos
Old 08-13-2009, 6:20 PM
Calguns Addict

I would get it if you understand it might need some work to get it to run right. I don't see too many AMT Hardballers in CA especially LOONGSLLIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1 View Post
Z gets around. lol
Old 08-13-2009, 6:23 PM
Veteran Member

Where was it made... do you recall? El Monte or Cerritos maybe? The AMT was a very good, albiet alittle rough cuz of the casting, and the first cast stainless steel gun... I think maybe even the first SS gun period. Ruger expanded on the process to make reliable, durable, and inexpensive guns, IIRC.

Early AMT's had a problem with galling since they used the same type of steel for the barrel and slide. Easily fixed with a change of barrel. Haven't seen galling between slide and frame tho. I've had a few Hardballers, and I used to used RIG stainless steel gun grease to stop the galling (haven't tried the white lithium grease or veggie oil as another suggested in another post).

With alittle work they can hang with the best of them... The guts are all 1911 and with top shelf parts can have butter smooth triggers just like the high dollar 1911's.

$650 is a decent price for a longslide. BTW: all "Hardballers" I've seen gave some of the best groups during their day... perhaps even today.

just my $0.02
Old 08-13-2009, 6:23 PM
Veteran Member

During my many years in retail, AMT stainless pistols generally did not work well---certainly not up to the standards of recent 1911 types that usually run well---I personally would not buy it---plus the company that made it has been out of business for many years.
Old 08-13-2009, 6:53 PM

I'm pretty sure the AMT Hardballer Longslide is the gun Arnold carries in the first Terminator
Old 08-13-2009, 7:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Looks like a cool gun. I'd go for it!

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 08-13-2009, 7:20 PM
Your Ad Here
CGN Contributor

That's a loong slide. For the price, it seems like a nice pickup just for the collection.
Old 08-13-2009, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Strong View Post
I've owned one for many years, and the only advice I can give you is that they're hard on recoil springs due to the extra slide mass, the stock extractors don't...at least not 100%...Wilson makes a good replacement, and all AMT's are fixer-uppers.

Other than that, the price isn't too far off, just so long as you understand you'd be buying a builder.
I will find out more. looks like it is a gun that hes already done a decent amount of work on so maybe all the issues are already dealt with him being a licensed gunsmith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondmid003 View Post
I'm pretty sure the AMT Hardballer Longslide is the gun Arnold carries in the first Terminator
if thats true, it makes it even more desirable to me as a collector piece. a gun used by a Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 Terminator?!?!
Old 08-13-2009, 8:17 PM

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Terminator

I was right, AMT Hardballer Longslide with the really primitive laser sight (it was 1984 after all)
Old 08-13-2009, 8:37 PM

Whenever I hear of the AMT Hardballer I always think of Agent 47...
Old 08-13-2009, 8:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Buy it! Everyone with a 1911 at the range will envy the length of that long slide. I have a Javelina (10mm) made by IAI, basically the same outfit. It is not built very tight, but it is accurate.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 08-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Buy it if you like 1911's! I have a Harballer I picked up in the 80's, it doesn't have the best finish I've seen but it is a solid and reliable pistol and is surprisingly accurate. I paid a whopping $257 for it iirc; buddy of mine shot IPSC limited division with his Long Slide, did real well and the gun is as accurate and reliable as anything. They are a bit loose in between the slide and frame but then tightness between the two has little to do with accuracy which is a common misbelief.

SCMA-1

"Wherever I Walk,
Everyone Is a Little Bit Safer Because I Am There.

Wherever I Am,
Anyone In Need Has a Friend.

Whenever I Return Home,
Everyone Is Happy I Am There."
- "The Warrior Creed" ~ Robert L. Humphrey