Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 08-11-2009, 2:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Calguns Needs Your Help! - Regional Coordinators, Event Coordinators, Designers, PR

Hello, Fellow Calgunners!

As many of you know, Calguns has been very actively involved with RKBA outreach at gun shows and other public events since January of this year. The time has come to take this to the next level... but we'll your help to get there!

I'll keep this brief: we need to expand the team and prepare for some expansion into new territories and different kinds of outreach. The bottom line is that we want to connect with every California gun owner, their family and friends, every moderate who cares about the protection of our civil rights and every ally that we can build a relationship with to work towards a better future here in California. It's no secret that I'd like to add a zero to the current Calguns membership level in the next 12 months, and two zeros in 24. (We currently have 32,959 and 10,939 active members as of today- that’s right, let’s grow to 320,000 by this time next year). This goal - shared by many highly-regarded leaders of RKBA and your fellow activists- is aggressive, yes... and entirely achievable. If you guys and gals can make ARs and AKs happen in *California*, we can do this too!

So, on to the part where I ask you to join the team that's kicking ***** for your gun rights. Below you'll find descriptions of the various volunteer roles we're seeking right now; please take a look and see if any might be something you would be interested in doing as your contribution to the greater RKBA efforts. If you have any skills or capabilities not listed and believe they could make an impact, or if you just don’t know how to get involved, please don't hesitate to contact me by email. I would ask that email correspondence be used and not PMs, as it has become exceedingly difficult to track and reply to them.

Thanks for your time and consideration, and I look forward to working with you!

Regards,

Brandon Combs
wildhawker at gmail dot com

###

REGIONAL COORDINATOR
- SF Bay Area, CA
- Central Valley, CA
The Regional Coordinator will coordinate the various events and efforts within their territory (SF Bay currently defined as the greater Bay Area and coastal communities south to San Luis Obispo; Central Valley includes Sacramento to Tulare). Events include such activities as gun show booths, shooting matches, fairs & tradeshows, ‘shoot-n-q’s and various vendor partnering opportunities. The Regional Coordinator will assist with non-event outreach planning and coordination as well as the development of outreach goals. This person will interface with the advisors and supply chain and oversee the event and local outreach Coordinators in their region; this person will support the coordinators with team building and monitor all performance and volunteers for conformance to the high standards of integrity and professionalism Calguns demands.

EVENT/LOCAL OUTREACH COORDINATORS
-Statewide (immediate need in SF Bay, LA, Sacto/Central Valley)
This person will coordinate a single event or outreach effort, such as: gun show booths, shooting matches, fairs & tradeshows, ‘shoot-n-q’s and various vendor partnering opportunities. The Coordinator will primarily interface with the Regional Coordinator and the event volunteer crew, which they will oversee. Occasionally the Coordinator will work directly with an advisor. A Coordinators’ primary responsibility will be to establish and schedule their crew as appropriate to the event/effort; they will also provide feedback to the Regional Coordinator and/or advisors including inventory, process, event/partner and volunteer grading. It may be necessary for the Coordinator to assist with logistics of display materials and transfer to the next Coordinator from time to time. They will have direct control over the execution of the event/effort and will ensure conformance to the high standards of integrity and professionalism Calguns demands.

EVENT VOLUNTEERS
Event Volunteers will work with Event Coordinator for a shift (typically 2-4 hours) at one of the various events. Greeting the public and promoting Calguns & RKBA are the primary duties of a volunteer. Occasionally a volunteer may be asked to assist with setup/takedown and logistics.

OUTREACH VOLUNTEERS
Outreach Volunteers will work with Regional Coordinators, advisors and other initiative leaders to support the distribution of Calguns materials (electronic and printed) to FFLs, vendors and other entities. Especially helpful are those who are members or leaders of sympathetic organizations, groups or websites (such as fishing, hunting, outdoors, women's, competitive/specialty shooting, LGBT, etc.).

DOCUMENT/GRAPHICS DESIGN

MARKETING/PR (web & traditional media)

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.

Last edited by wildhawker; 08-11-2009 at 3:19 PM..
Old 08-11-2009, 3:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Ladies and Gentlemen, Calgunners, Liberty lovers all!

This is where the rubber meets the road. Keyboard commandos and sunshine patriots need not apply.

But if you want liberty in your lifetime, if you want to leave a legacy of freedom for your children, then now is the time step up! Those who want to keep us in the dark are on the defensive. Now is our time! Volunteer!

I often work weekends and I'll be taking time off to help do my part. If you have skills which will aid in the smooth running of the Calguns Official Events in your area YOU are needed by all of us. If all you can be at this time is a body to help set up and then just talk about your love of our Constitutional Rights (all of them) and the successes of the Calguns.net Community, that is needed too.

There IS a place for you at an Official Event. Contact Wildhawker for more info.! See you there!!!
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/

Last edited by Liberty1; 08-11-2009 at 3:26 PM..
Old 08-11-2009, 3:16 PM
CGSSA Associate

I'm in for a local coordinator pending some more details. I'll send an email with questions later this evening.

Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old 08-11-2009, 3:32 PM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

As always I am available to help out at shows and events.
Old 08-11-2009, 3:47 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm not in a position to be able to commit to doing long term planning/coordinating. However; booth volunteer, outreach volunteer, proof-reader, wall to bounce ideas off of and many more are all within my capabilities and with my loose daytime schedule I can do handout and pizza deliveries to FFLs too.

I live in San Carlos and can work anywhere on the Peninsula, some east bay and Vegas Baby!
Old 08-11-2009, 3:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Fredie- wildhawker at gmail dot com
Old 08-11-2009, 3:51 PM

Let me know if you need help with printing or any other tasks in OC.
Old 08-11-2009, 4:11 PM
Veteran Member

I'd be more than willing for my own region.

CalGuns needs representation farther north! I'm thinking Redding and Eureka to start (I'm in Eureka).

There are sooooooo many members on this board from SoCal and the valley, but it seems there are very few from the far north. I know that personally I've gotten over a dozen friends to join CalGuns- and two FFLs.

I'd help wherever I can in my own region.
01001100 01100101 01100001 01110010 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110011 01110111 01101001 01101101 00100000 01001001 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100100 01101111 01110111 01101110 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01100001 01110010 01101001 01111010 01101111 01101110 01100001 00100000 01100010 01100001 01111001 00101110

Old 08-11-2009, 4:34 PM

i will try to volunteer for as many S.J. shows as i can!!!! I had a blast at the last one!!!
Old 08-11-2009, 4:50 PM

I can do EVENT/LOCAL OUTREACH COORDINATOR as I have done before. I'll email you in the morning.

Old 08-11-2009, 4:54 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Everyone, let's get behind this. Calguns.net has been a fantastic resource, but this is JUST the beginning. We have some big things in store for you in the next few months, and we need YOUR HELP in making it all happen!

Please get in touch with Brandon and get involved.

Together, we can indeed do great things. Thank you.
-Ben.

Postings are my own, and are not formal positions of any other entity, or legal advice.
Old 08-11-2009, 5:13 PM
Veteran Member

I help host a CWA wild game feed for once a year. We always give premiums away at the door, hats/pens/cheap knives/bottle openers/etc...

I'm not sure if there are such materials already that are at the gunshow booths?

If not I think premiums are a great way to advertise in a fairly cheap and effective way. Small stuff like that has a way of changing hands.
Old 08-11-2009, 5:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
I help host a CWA wild game feed for once a year. We always give premiums away at the door, hats/pens/cheap knives/bottle openers/etc...

I'm not sure if there are such materials already that are at the gunshow booths?

If not I think premiums are a great way to advertise in a fairly cheap and effective way. Small stuff like that has a way of changing hands.
Any chance we could get involved and help out? There are shirts/hats/etc which could be made available.

This is exactly the kind of partnering opportunity we're looking for.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 08-11-2009, 7:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just to clarify as to why I ask for emails: email is a much easier way for me to sort and keep track of who/what/how. I have to clear PMs regularly which usually means I have to copy/paste each into a Word doc until I can enter them into a spreadsheet. Your understanding is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-11-2009, 7:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm ready in the North Bay. Drop me a line when you need help.

Regards,

SwissFluCase
Old 08-11-2009, 8:22 PM
Now in AZ

My participation can be counted on! Based on my experience thus far with being an Event Coordinator for the upcoming Costa Mesa show, I am completely willing to help out others at taking on the same role. If we can get enough consistent coordinators perhaps we could even give sme flexability to event coordinators to plan events that are not part of the regular gunshow circuit.

Lets face it, we need to grow. Not everyone pro-gun or possibly pro-gun person attends a gun show. The only way to reach our membership goals and become a real legal and politcal force and to let the people in Sacramento know that we mean business is to get out and get active at non-gunshow events. But, we can not do this if we are short handed with coordinators.

If anyone wants to try their hand at being a coordinator there is a slot open at the next Ontario show. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=174259

I will be volunteering there both days all day and am willing to backup anyone who is willing to step forward and coordinate that show. If no one else steps up by September I will probably do it myself, but I'd like to give someone else a shot and help them out.
Old 08-11-2009, 8:33 PM
CGSSA President

email sent
Old 08-11-2009, 8:37 PM
CGSSA President

I thought Ontario had an Event Coordinator? I would volunteer but Sept is the month my son goes to MC Boot Camp and I want to make sure he has a good month before heading out. Isnt Ontatio in Oct?
Old 08-11-2009, 8:45 PM

Not sure if you need web services or if GeoVario already has that covered but my company is more than willing to donate services to CalGuns.

www.modulemedia.com
zak [at] modulemedia.com
Old 08-11-2009, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

I am down to help out wherever I can here in the Sacramento area. I am not a great "social engineer" so a coordinator job probably isn't for me. But I am willing to work at booths, and do whatever I can to help the cause here in California. I am willing to assist the coordinator in anything from various clerical work, to assisting in the planning of events.

If there was a job for "Assistant Regional Coordinator" that would probably be for me...

Let me know what I can do, and I will do it to the best time allows.

Last edited by leitung; 08-11-2009 at 8:57 PM..
Old 08-11-2009, 9:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just a quick update, I have received almost 100 emails since this afternoon, including those who have generously offered to donate goods and gear (including firearms!) in addition to a tremendous outpouring of support for much-needed time and services

I'll post general info here, and will be emailing a personal response to each of you as fast as I can.

Thank you so much, everyone- let's keep the team growing! Calguns outreach FTW!

-Brandon

Old 08-11-2009, 9:15 PM

I am willing to help out at events in the Kern county area. I am also a certified rifle instructor thru the NRA & can put on classes in the same area if needed. I'd need to know dates to be sure I'm not conflicting with other events with scouts & such.If you need my help in these areas please email me at jmabbott888@yahoo.com
Old 08-11-2009, 9:55 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Long Beach, Strong Beach, Tha LBC, Wrong Beach, Wass Yo Name Foo?

I work freelance, so I can't plan my schedule too far in advance, but I'll gladly help out Calguns in any way that I can.

radioburning@gmail.com

Vote for pro-gun candidates, or lose your rights, and the rights of future generations. That's it. The end.

"No one said life would be easy".
Old 08-11-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYong View Post
I'd be more than willing for my own region.

CalGuns needs representation farther north! I'm thinking Redding and Eureka to start (I'm in Eureka).

There are sooooooo many members on this board from SoCal and the valley, but it seems there are very few from the far north. I know that personally I've gotten over a dozen friends to join CalGuns- and two FFLs.

I'd help wherever I can in my own region.

Order of the Brethren of Canary Asses #19
Old 08-12-2009, 12:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm impressed with all the enthusiasm. I know that everyone has their hearts in the right place, but I do have some concerns based upon what I've seen working at the CGF booth at a couple of shows.

The way I see it, the folks manning the CGF booth are there to "sell" CalGuns. This isn't what necessarily happens, though.

Too often, it seems, folks volunteer only to spend their time cruising the show for their owm benefit or bull****ting with each other at the booth. It's frustrating when someone is involved in a "sales pitch" and is interrupted by another person manning the booth for some personal conversation.

I've seen interested people pause by the booth, or glance over the literature, yet move on without someone even offering a hello.

I've seen people crowd a "sales pitch" to the point that they make the "prospects" uncomfortable" and they leave.

I've also seen 3/4s of the crew walk away, leaving one guy there.

These aren't things that help the cause. They make us look like a bunch of tools. Please consider these things when you volunteer.

Now the positives, I've seen some amazing stuff at the CGF booth. Folks grabbing people out of the crowd, intelligent discussion about pending legislation, hustling by the crew and truly stellar salesmanship. I've watched "customers" dig deep and make some wonderful donations.

Many thanks to the folks I've had the honor of manning the booth with. Wildhawker and Mrs. Wildhawker and ivanimal especially.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 08-12-2009, 1:53 AM

You can count me in for Outreach or Event Coordinator. I'm in the central coast.
Old 08-12-2009, 8:39 AM

Add me to the list for event volunteers in the Bay Area.

Will email w/ contact info.

Old 08-12-2009, 8:47 AM
Veteran Member

I'll help out however i can, let me know. (email inbound)

NRA EPL Member
Visit my blogBullets in the Wash
Old 08-12-2009, 8:54 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

I can help with volunteer work or coordinator responsibilities, in the O.C./L.A. area. As I live in O.C., I would prefer to operate there.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCasey View Post
Lets face it, we need to grow. Not everyone pro-gun or possibly pro-gun person attends a gun show. The only way to reach our membership goals and become a real legal and politcal force and to let the people in Sacramento know that we mean business is to get out and get active at non-gunshow events.
I hesitate to even suggest this, as I am NOT volunteering to do this at this time, but there is one fairly easy (I think) non-gun show event that could be done: farmer's markets. It doesn't seem hard for just about anyone to get a table at them, so unless an anti-gun bias is triggered it shouldn't take much.

However, it is definitely stepping beyond the comfort zone and into a place that will have a *lot* of anti-gunners. But if someone is ready for that and has the social skills to "turn the other cheek" and sell in a possibly hostile environment, that seems like it should be a fairly easy venue to try.

7x57

What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can. :43:
Old 08-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
I hesitate to even suggest this, as I am NOT volunteering to do this at this time, but there is one fairly easy (I think) non-gun show event that could be done: farmer's markets. It doesn't seem hard for just about anyone to get a table at them, so unless an anti-gun bias is triggered it shouldn't take much.

However, it is definitely stepping beyond the comfort zone and into a place that will have a *lot* of anti-gunners. But if someone is ready for that and has the social skills to "turn the other cheek" and sell in a possibly hostile environment, that seems like it should be a fairly easy venue to try.

7x57
I'd be willing to pass out literature at the Arcata Farmer's Market.

Couldn't get a booth there, though- in order to get a booth at the Farmer's Market around here your goods have to be 50%+ grown "locally".

Basically, you can only get a booth if you're a farmer or make goods out of local products.

However, there are always tons of people walking around passing out fliers and such and many people take them without even thinking about it. Then, they read the title- if it interests them they keep reading, if it doesn't they throw it away. I figure if 10% keep the flier then you're doing a good job.

Are there any outreach pamphlets or anything like that available that can be printed and distributed?

If I can just remember the name of the guy that makes the CalGuns shirts and hats I'd order a few before doing it so the group looked more official/professional.

ETA: I'm a closer by profession. Myself and a few friends would be perfect for doing this kind of outreach in the extremely anti-gun town of Arcata. Talking to people that disagree with me, and ending the conversation with me on top is what I do.
01001100 01100101 01100001 01110010 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110011 01110111 01101001 01101101 00100000 01001001 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100100 01101111 01110111 01101110 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01100001 01110010 01101001 01111010 01101111 01101110 01100001 00100000 01100010 01100001 01111001 00101110

Old 08-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Now in AZ

Quote:
If I can just remember the name of the guy that makes the CalGuns shirts and hats I'd order a few before doing it so the group looked more official/professional.
That would be Vick. His screenname is Can'thavenuthingood. The website is http://gunsr4.us/
Old 08-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCasey View Post
That would be Vick. His screenname is Can'thavenuthingood. The website is http://gunsr4.us/
Thank'ee kindly, sir!

Old 08-12-2009, 1:49 PM

Location: San Diego, National Socialist Democratic Republic of Facistfornia

Quote:
Thank'ee kindly, sir!
When you get to Vick's site look for the blue polo shirts .That is our "professional look ". They are a very well made cotton shirt and could be worn to take you significant other and her parents out to dinner. Five volunteers at a booth wearing these looks really classy.

-Abraham Lincoln,1862
=======================================
"Revolution against tyranny is the most sacred of duties"
- Benjamin Franklin -1775
=======================================

Last edited by bplvr; 08-12-2009 at 1:54 PM..
Old 08-12-2009, 7:19 PM

I live in Ventura. I will do what I can to help out.

Old 08-12-2009, 7:44 PM

Default Dibs on The Shot Show 2010 in Vegas!

Ok, here goes...

I have:
Marketing Experience
Graphic Design Experience
Web Master Experience
Event Planning Experience
Trade Show Coordinating
Print Buying, Printer Coordination and Global Shipping Coordination
Direct Mail Printing and Mailing Experience
Start-up Experience with Multiple Companies

So, it looks like CG can definitely use my skills.

No, but really, dibs on Shot Show 2010 in Vegas!

Last edited by Mug; 08-12-2009 at 7:51 PM.. Reason: Forgot to list a few skills
Old 08-12-2009, 9:45 PM
Calguns Addict

I can work as an event volunteer. I don't have any people skills and am only good with machines and inanimate things.
I'll send in an email, and I'm in the East Bay, but since there are a lot of Calgun members in the bay area, if you need people in other parts of Northern CA, I'll ride my bike over.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

A great thought, but much harder than it looks... those tables are a main source of revenue for many smaller growers so they will fight for space. That said, I grew up in ag and have some friends who could lend a few inches of space at some shows for literature. Maybe we could swap table labor for table space. Anyone else with some contacts in this arena? LA/OC, SD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post

7x57

Old 08-12-2009, 10:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplvr View Post
When you get to Vick's site look for the blue polo shirts .That is our "professional look ". They are a very well made cotton shirt and could be worn to take you significant other and her parents out to dinner. Five volunteers at a booth wearing these looks really classy.
+1!

Old 08-13-2009, 11:45 AM

Shot show 2010, I will be there also. Can fill in at booth if required.