Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-15-2005, 5:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Has anyone tried to build one with a fixed mag? If so, did you go with Armalite or Bushmaster, where did you get parts and how did it turn out? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2005, 8:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Bill, I was actually thinking of pinning the magazine like the FAL builders do. And you are right about the lack of interchangeability between manufacturers (lots of searches on this one), with the exception that Eagle Arms lower will fit Armalite uppers. That is actually what I was thinking, Armalite upper on a Eagle Arms lower, because the Bushmaster lower may not be easy to get.
Old 03-16-2005, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Bill, thank you for the explanation; I wasn't clear on that one. Too bad the answer is not the one I wanted to hear; I guess, I'll go back to the original plan and build a FAL on an Imbel receiver.
Old 03-15-2005, 5:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Has anyone tried to build one with a fixed mag? If so, did you go with Armalite or Bushmaster, where did you get parts and how did it turn out? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2005, 8:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I do not believe anyone is offering Calif-compliant/approved fixed-mag AR10 lowers (which are not the same as AR15-type lowers).

The Bushmaster and Armalite systems (and maybe the much rarer Stoner SR25 as well) are all a bit different. I don't think you can put a Bushy 308 upper, for example, on an Armalite AR10 lower nor do the converse - put an Armalite AR10 308 upper on a Bushy 308 lower. (Someone please tell me if this is not true!) Remember, the AR10 uses converted M14 mags, while the Bushy 308 uses FAL mags.

ASA (Amer. Sporting Arms) in Ariz. does offer some 308 AR-design rifles but I wounldn't touch anything they make - even regular ARs - with a 10-foot pole. Poor reputation.

Thus, the 308 AR market is pretty fragmented and I dunno if anyone's gonna step up and go thru grief of offering something like a 'FAB10' fixed mag lower for CA approval - because there's not a consolidated barreled upper market.

If you're looking for a 308 pistol grip gun w/fixed 10rd mag in CA, you're best off for now with a CaliFAL...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-16-2005, 7:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

CG...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">cg wrote:
...I was actually thinking of pinning the magazine like the FAL builders do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's dandy. But you have to get the receiver first, and you have to do it legally. And you can't.

For all practical purposes you can't get any AR receiver (including AR10s): AR-class guns & receivers are banned by Aug. 2000 Kasler decision and are not just banned by evil features. In contrast, FAL clones (but not actual FN/FALs!) are not banned except by evil features (pistol grip + detachable mag, etc.)

A CA FFL who also holds a (rare) CA Assault Weapons Permit could do this, though, but would need special permission/approval, etc. The cost for this 'one-off' gig on an AR10 lower would be prohibitive.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> you are right about the lack of interchangeability between manufacturers (lots of searches on this one), with the exception that Eagle Arms lower will fit Armalite uppers. That is actually what I was thinking, Armalite upper on a Eagle Arms lower </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like Ted said, Armalite = Eagle = same company.

Background: their marketing folks have decided the 'Eagle' name is for the lower-grade guns and parts kits, with less premium fit/finish (or at least finish). But Armalite is their premiere 'brand', and Armalite receivers are not sold separately so as to prevenet Armalite 'parts guns' going out on market.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.