Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-25-2014, 9:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Post-Peruta CCW: LAPD **UPDATE 4-12** Letter received!

**Update Post 16**

-----------------------------------------------------------
I just made an appointment with LAPD for mid-March.

I was told they have been getting lots of calls mentioning Peruta, but that Department policy hasn't changed (YET...after March 6 it might be a different ballgame (-my words). It was pretty easy to schedule the appointment so perhaps people are still being cowed by that policy statement and history of few CCWs issued and not setting up interview appointments. Maybe people think Peruta only applies to Sheriffs or just San Diego. I don't know.

Eventually I think the tidal wave of applicants will crash down on the LAPD just as has happened in San Diego once the en banc "time limit" runs out and Peruta becomes the "new policy." I want to be surfing ahead of that wave. I am convinced the app will be held for as long as possible while the Chief and City Attorney wait to see if they have any escape route in the post Peruta landscape (same as the LASD & SDSD). But they can't hold it past 90 days so it's time to start that clock.

The officer from the Gun Unit that handles the applications was completely professional and went through all the things i need to bring. Beyond the initial mention of how the policy hasn't changed he came across as a neutral player, mentioning that once the application is sent in, it'll go to the Chief who will decide what to do next. He answered a few questions and even gave me directions to their offices.

Honestly I expected a bit more stonewalling upfront. My initial call resulted in the dreaded voicemail, but i received a call back in under 3 business hours! I thought I was in AZ or something :-)

I know its just the beginning, but there's not much to lose anymore and it's free to apply. So who else is with me, banging down the LAPD door?

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785

Last edited by Fate; 04-12-2014 at 6:17 PM..
Old 02-25-2014, 9:39 AM

LA is ****ed. There is no way they will be able to hand the hundreds of thousands of applications by seeing people for extensive interviews. It's just a matter of time before the process is simplified.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:10 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula

Is there a particular reason you chose to apply with LAPD instead of LASD?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:34 AM

good luck!!! If LAPD doesn't work, then go LASD.

Front Sight Heritage Member
Old 02-25-2014, 11:00 AM
Calguns Addict

If LA doesn't work, SUE! They deserve some attention too.

https://www.calgunsfoundation.org/carry/
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/
Old 02-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Calguns Addict

that's got to odd, applying for a CCW in a city that doesn't even allow ammo shipped in

"We want food, medicine, and one of those cows" - Daryl Dixon TWD
Old 02-25-2014, 1:20 PM

No laws about shipping ammo here. Face to face retail transactions are the only ammo sales requiring a thumb print & ID. Many, many misread the law, but shipping ammo to LA city is totally legal.
Old 02-25-2014, 1:38 PM

whats the lapds ccw phone number
thanks
Old 02-25-2014, 2:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot613 View Post
whats the lapds ccw phone number
thanks
213-486-5360

http://www.lapdonline.org/get_inform...sic_view/48213

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-25-2014, 7:07 PM

Is Kosal Bun still the guy at the Gun Unit taking applications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
I just made an appointment with LAPD for mid-March.

I was told they have been getting lots of calls mentioning Peruta, but that Department policy hasn't changed (YET...after March 6 it might be a different ballgame (-my words). It was pretty easy to schedule the appointment so perhaps people are still being cowed by that policy statement and history of few CCWs issued and not setting up interview appointments. Maybe people think Peruta only applies to Sheriffs or just San Diego. I don't know.

Eventually I think the tidal wave of applicants will crash down on the LAPD just as has happened in San Diego once the en banc "time limit" runs out and Peruta becomes the "new policy." I want to be surfing ahead of that wave. I am convinced the app will be held for as long as possible while the Chief and City Attorney wait to see if they have any escape route in the post Peruta landscape (same as the LASD & SDSD). But they can't hold it past 90 days so it's time to start that clock.

The officer from the Gun Unit that handles the applications was completely professional and went through all the things i need to bring. Beyond the initial mention of how the policy hasn't changed he came across as a neutral player, mentioning that once the application is sent in, it'll go to the Chief who will decide what to do next. He answered a few questions and even gave me directions to their offices.

Honestly I expected a bit more stonewalling upfront. My initial call resulted in the dreaded voicemail, but i received a call back in under 3 business hours! I thought I was in AZ or something :-)

I know its just the beginning, but there's not much to lose anymore and it's free to apply. So who else is with me, banging down the LAPD door?
Old 02-25-2014, 7:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello2594 View Post
Is Kosal Bun still the guy at the Gun Unit taking applications?
No. I sent you a PM with the officer's name.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsdeep View Post
No laws about shipping ammo here. Face to face retail transactions are the only ammo sales requiring a thumb print & ID. Many, many misread the law, but shipping ammo to LA city is totally legal.
That seems to be correct. Ammo can be shipped to LA however, the vendor is then responsible for getting a thumb print & ID and making it available to LAPD. Since almost no vendors are willing to do that it becomes a defacto ban on shipping ammo to LA.

As for the CCW's I hope we start hearing some feedback soon from those going through the process. Good luck!
Old 02-26-2014, 8:30 AM

I thought since CalGuns won the case against the LACSD that LAPD no longer was in control of issuing concealed carry licenses??? Isn't it now the requirement of the LA County Sheriff's Dept?
Old 02-26-2014, 10:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterMass90068 View Post
I thought since CalGuns won the case against the LACSD that LAPD no longer was in control of issuing concealed carry licenses??? Isn't it now the requirement of the LA County Sheriff's Dept?
It's not a requirement, it's just saving a step since most PD's won't issue. The case was about LASD requiring you to be rejected by your local PD BEFORE you applied to them.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billofrights View Post
It's not a requirement, it's just saving a step since most PD's won't issue.
Most PDs that won't issue, don't issue CCWs at all and defer to county Sheriffs. The PDs that issue to some and not to others are the problem. After Peruta goes final, they can't keep that up.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Update: Had my interview in mid March. It was fairly painless and the gun unit officer who conducted it was professional and pleasant to work with. While he stated that LAPD "good cause" policy hasn't changed, he understands the non-LEO desire to have a CCW. "It'd be like Arizona if I had a say." Definitely not one of the "anti-gun" LEOs that we hear about.

This past week I received this letter from LAPD.

At first I was sure it was a denial letter. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised that it looks like LAPD is (so far) following the Penal Code pretty closely and doing a good job of communicating what's happening in the process.

Will update when I hear more.

Last edited by Fate; 06-22-2014 at 1:58 PM..
Old 04-12-2014, 11:58 AM

^^^
Nice.
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 04-12-2014, 12:03 PM

I sent in an app to LASD…. What's the difference between sending in an app and setting up an appointment??

Old 04-12-2014, 12:08 PM

LASD doesn't do appointments, you just send in the application, but apparently LAPD does require an appointment to start the application process.
“People who follow the rules can protect themselves and their families from people who don’t follow the rules. The Second Amendment should never be an afterthought. It should reside at the forefronts of our minds.
Old 04-12-2014, 6:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsend81 View Post
LASD doesn't do appointments, you just send in the application, but apparently LAPD does require an appointment to start the application process.
Incorrect. LASD still requires in person interviews. People are sending in applications and waiting for LASD to schedule.

I turned in my application to LAPD at the interview. So I'm ahead of the game vs. most LASD applicants at this point.

Old 04-13-2014, 4:24 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Does anyone know why the CPT/CO of the Gang and Narcotics Division signed the letter? Are CCW applicants just presumed to be drug dealing gangbangers until they prove otherwise?

Could you imagine if instead of the 2A, the constitutional right at issue was equal protection for certain racial minorities? What kind of message would that send?

Reloading Clubs: SF, East Bay

Case Status: Peña v. Cid (Handgun Roster). SF v. 44Mag (Mag Parts Kits). Bauer v. Harris (DROS Fees). Davis v. LA (CCW policy). Jackson v. SF (Ammo/Storage). Teixeira (FFL Zoning). First Unitarian v. NSA (Privacy). Silvester (Waiting Period). Schoepf (DROS Delay). Haynie (AW ban). SFVPOA v. SF (10+ mag possession ban). Bear in Public: Drake (3CA); Moore (7CA); Richards, Peruta, McKay (9CA).
Old 04-13-2014, 6:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizux View Post
Does anyone know why the CPT/CO of the Gang and Narcotics Division signed the letter? Are CCW applicants just presumed to be drug dealing gangbangers until they prove otherwise?

Could you imagine if instead of the 2A, the constitutional right at issue was equal protection for certain racial minorities? What kind of message would that send?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Supporting CGF at the expense of supporting NRA is wildly stupid. . . .

Never, ever, ever choose not to be an NRA member.

-Gene
180+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives. Crime Avoidance & Self-Defense Advice
Old 04-13-2014, 9:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Gun unit of the Gang/Narcotics division is tasked with handling CCW applications within the LAPD. As scary as I've heard these guys are supposed to be, they didn't live up to the hype.

Old 04-13-2014, 4:25 PM

... they might best be knowledgeable about those who SHOULD fail on GMC...
District of Columbia vs. Heller