Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 08-06-2009, 3:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Do you have to..........

lets say I want to sell a rifle in the state to someone. i read on the DOj website that long guns do not need to be registered. But everyone wants to DROS rifles. Since they dont have to be registered legally ( or so I read it like that) im assuming the only reason to have it registered in someone elses name is for legal ramifications?
So can someoneactually sell a rifle to anyone and if you can why are people DROSing rifles if its supposedly a not needed to be registered unlike a handgun?

On another note
I had a rifle i loaned to my buddy to go hunting with. he went hunting but left the rifle in Texas. This was a long long time ago and I never heard anything again. i told him Im gonna report the rifle lost/stolen/ Went to the local PD and they took a report after i explained the situation.
I never had anything come of it.

any thoughts?
Old 08-06-2009, 3:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

First, long guns are not registered by serial number but all long guns that are less than 50 years old have to be transferred through a FFL in California.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 08-06-2009, 4:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
First, long guns are not registered by serial number but all long guns that are less than 50 years old have to be transferred through a FFL in California.
yeah but what is the point of the transfer if long guns are not registered by serial number. how are they registered then? Sorry for sounding stupid but i dont get the point of registering somethin thats not registered by serial number. how else are they registered?
Old 08-06-2009, 9:26 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob454 View Post
yeah but what is the point of the transfer if long guns are not registered by serial number. how are they registered then? Sorry for sounding stupid but i dont get the point of registering somethin thats not registered by serial number. how else are they registered?
People in California transfer long guns through a Dealer because the law requires them to do so. The background check on the buyer, the ten day "cooling off" period, continuity of firearms traces, and the $25 into the State coffers are some of the reasons why they came up with the law.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 08-06-2009, 10:03 PM

If the DOJ wants the serial number of a rifle you bought, it is right there on the 4473, tucked away at the FFL's lair, waiting to be pulled on demand from people with badges.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
01 Dealer 3xGuns Redding, CA
US Army MP Corps Veteran
NRA Pistol Coach Level 3

I am always looking for Beretta D models in 9mm or a Compact Type M.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

DROS is not registration
Old 08-07-2009, 4:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewj View Post
DROS is not registration
It sure sounds like it is IMO. Im NOT trying to start a argument ( this is something Ive ben thinking about) but how does this law of you must transfer the gun in someone elses name when you sell it, we can trace where the rifle came from anytime but dont worry DROS is not registration
Old 08-07-2009, 8:25 AM

Alot of people unknowningly consider the DROS process a "registration" process. Easy to see why. All the papers, ID check, fingerprint on the DROS, etc. It is technically not registration in that since rifle serial numbers are not entered into the DROS process, they are not put into a database. Therefore Big Brother cannot simply press a button to see who owns what rifle.

By comparison, when you "register" a car the plate, VIN, owner's name and lien holder can all be instantly checked and cross referenced through a government database.

Unfortunately, I still hear people tell me that they "registered" their firearm when they purchased it. This includes assault weapons. Many folks assumed that by going through the DROS process (or the regular purchase processing during pre-DROS days) that they were in full compliance and therefore their AW's were "registered" only to find out that AW registration was a separate process and that the window to do so had closed. Made alot of good people with no criminal history or intent violators in the eyes of the law.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Calguns Addict

The reason for requiring the DROS is to do a background check on the buyer, as if an old rifle is somehow different so as to not require a background check.

Registration of firearms is illegal in CA, although they do have a database and I have heard the results come back quicker for a firearms check than a DMV check on the scanner. The data is copied and the original erased, or so I have heard. I recall finding the law regarding registration being illegal, but I don't recall what exactly it was.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein